Phunky Physics

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Phunky Physics

Post by kunkmiester »

Just to make the title rhyme.

I posted a video in another thread, and someone over there said this:
Polywell + Heim's proposed drive system: Neptune and back in six minutes.
Looking up Heim on Google, I came across a few interesting discussions. Seems his "proposed drive system" relies on a different understanding of physics.

Here's a couple of articles to start with.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=501
I'm not too familiar with searching for papers, though, so the heavy still is out of reach to me, not like I'd understand the math anyway.

This goes well beyond the QED and other drives we talk about, I thought there might be some interest here. I also remember a little bit about something like this a while back, and was wondering if anyone knows of anything new about it.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The Droscher extension is certainly interesting, but there are some holes. Still, it has an outside shot at meaning something, and we should probably hope he was right.

AFAIK, there is still no other explanation given for the Tajmar acceleration effect -- and Gravity Probe B was interesting too.

Here's a nice littlw wiki on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heim_theory

I think it's been discussed here before a time or two.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/daigl024/discus ... d_eht.html
During this year's AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) Dröscher and Hauser presented their paper "Gravity-Like Fields and Space Propulsion Concepts" which drew comparisons between values predicted by EHT (Extended Heim Theory) and the troubled Gravity Probe B.

In May the Sr. Review Committee at NASA Headquarters did not grant the Gravity Probe B team its final funding extension. Gravity Probe B is a long-standing experiment to measure gravitational frame dragging. As reported in New Scientist, the probe's data was unexpectedly noisy. However, Tajmar has explained the "noise" in a recent paper and in their AIAA paper Dröscher/Hauser explain how the "noise" is actually misalignment and frequency shifts that fall well within the expected values projected by EHT and its predicted two additional gravity-like fields.

The paper is also valuable in that it breaks into sections the the present experimental basis for the existence of these novel gravity-like fields, discusses the main physical features of EHT, discusses all relevant experiments, determines the nature and type of the fundamental interaction(s) responsible for gravitomagnetic effects, and finally, posits a novel experiment for the generation of a vertical gravity-like field that might serve as test for their propulsion principle.
Maybe we'll live to see Polywell-powered Heim drives lifting humanity to the moon and later the stars.

Aero

Post by Aero »

For those interested in some background on Heim Theory, this post by DEK on phyforum is most interesting.

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?show ... ntry217146
Aero

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I'll be very interested to find out if all Tajmar's stuff turns out to be noise and equipment error. He seemed fairly adamant they had eliminated that possibility when I talked to him. I imagine ESA runs a pretty tight shop.

It's too bad he probably won't get funding for the experiment that could prove him right or wrong.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

TallDave wrote:I'll be very interested to find out if all Tajmar's stuff turns out to be noise and equipment error. He seemed fairly adamant they had eliminated that possibility when I talked to him. I imagine ESA runs a pretty tight shop.
Can you share details about his eliminating probable error?
TallDave wrote:It's too bad he probably won't get funding for the experiment that could prove him right or wrong.
Why? Something more than the current economic joy? Tajmar's test units as described on arxiv don't seem to be overly expensive.
Vae Victis

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

I, along with others here, have been following developments in Heim Theory for more than 3 years. Droescher and Hauser really need to do their experiment, publish their peer-reviewed paper, or both. Their proposed experiment does not appear to be excessively expensive. They were supposed to have published their peer-review paper by summer of last year.

Yes, a Heim drive using a polywell as its generator would certainly take us places. However, the thing needs to be developed first.

Perhaps Droescher and Hauser have done the experiment and now there is IP involved and that explains the lack of information of late.

One can always hope.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

He along with Droscher had proposed a satellite experiment iirc, but his readings are still considered marginal and contradictory (remember, initially this was supposed to be a superconducting effect, then it seemed to be dependent on direction of rotation, which is confusing) and Heim theory is not taken very seriously so there wasn't much interest in funding it.

I emailed him the other day to ask if anything new was up, his response was "No news."

As for IP, Tajmar has at least one patent application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajmar

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

TallDave wrote:He along with Droscher had proposed a satellite experiment iirc,
Is there available documentation on this?
TallDave wrote:but his readings are still considered marginal and contradictory (remember, initially this was supposed to be a superconducting effect, then it seemed to be dependent on direction of rotation, which is confusing) and Heim theory is not taken very seriously so there wasn't much interest in funding it.
Tajmar did change his interpretation last year, claiming the effect was coming from the He coolant itself. That indicates a possible measurement error. OTOH, the early Heim papers claim the effect would be generated in close proximity to a low-Z working mass (hydrogen preferred), and helium is low-Z.
TallDave wrote:I emailed him the other day to ask if anything new was up, his response was "No news."
Not encouraging.
TallDave wrote:As for IP, Tajmar has at least one patent application.
Same with Droscher, tho I've been unable to find it the few times I looked. Nothing obvious pops up on USPTO or WIPO.
Vae Victis