Mercury fillings

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zbarlici

Mercury fillings

Post by zbarlici »

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The precautionary principle requires that you not eat food because due to the poor design of the human body you could choke on it.

But I do see their point. I had a number of mercury fillings for years and as you can tell it has made me stupid.

Further it is rather common for dentists to be mad as hatters.

I have the perfect solution though. Don't wake up and get out of bed in the morning. It could kill you.

The bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. I suggest crapping on the living room floor and taking leaks in the kitchen sink. Much safer.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You want a risk free life? Commit suicide. You will encounter no more health destroying risks subsequently.

Alternatively you might consider cowering in a closet. A very small closet.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

... that you can lock from the inside. :)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Maybe it is a plot by dentists to have the government force people to replace their amalgam fillings. Hmm???

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

There have been studies that show that amalgam fillings can corrode. This is an issue that has been buzzing around the mainstream like an annoying fly, but has been ignored long enough that when it does come up, the advocates appear to be crazy. Conspiracy theories based on being ignored don't help their case either.

take a look at some of the political issues surrounding the basis of this board. We know dang well that bureaucracy is capable of ignoring inconvenient things, things like this should prompt us to dig deeper, rather than dismiss it.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Brush your teeth.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

"Included in the final regulation( by FDA) is the decision to classify dental amalgam as a Class II or moderate risk device, giving the FDA authority to impose special controls with the goal of ensuring safety and effectivenes."

if it was just fear mongering as some suggest, i imagine the FDA would have been more than happy with a class 1 low risk device rating for these fillings.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/2 ... ot-harmful

why even bother changing the rating if its not warranted.. you`d just be feeding the fear-mongers

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:"Included in the final regulation( by FDA) is the decision to classify dental amalgam as a Class II or moderate risk device, giving the FDA authority to impose special controls with the goal of ensuring safety and effectivenes."

if it was just fear mongering as some suggest, i imagine the FDA would have been more than happy with a class 1 low risk device rating for these fillings.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/2 ... ot-harmful

why even bother changing the rating if its not warranted.. you`d just be feeding the fear-mongers
Because government bureaucrats like power and control.

I expect if this was serious we would be seeing epidemiology studies showing it was rather than: "might be a risk". Walking across the street is more dangerous no doubt.

Most folks are not good at judging risk. A lot of people fear to fly. But your trip to the airport is the most dangerous part of the journey.

It is probably just a move to sell higher priced dental appliances. I'd find out who was behind the video.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

July 28, 2009 -- The mercury used in dental amalgam fillings is not at a level high enough to cause harm in patients, according to the FDA, which today issued its final regulation on the controversial tooth filling material.

However, the agency tightened its controls on mercury fillings, classifying the encapsulated amalgams now commonly sold to dentists as Class II devices, deemed a moderate risk, instead of the lower risk Class I devices.

Dental amalgams, the silver-colored material used to fill teeth after removal of a cavity, include liquid mercury and a powder that contains silver, tin, copper, zinc, and other metals. When the fillings are placed in the teeth or removed, or during chewing, mercury vapor is released, according to the FDA. At high levels, mercury can cause adverse health effects to the brain and kidneys.
So where are the bodies?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Mercury at this level doesn't kill, it just make folks stupid, and there is PLENTY of evidence that folks are stupid! What is lacking is direct evidence that the two are causally linked. After all, folks could be naturally stupid without being Mercury stupid too. ;)

However, can you say Roman lead sweetened wine?

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Maybe the mercury is what makes you constantly double post, Simon. It's generally considered bad form to reply to yourself.

While I have no fact-based opinion on mercury fillings, I've seen plenty of products that were considered 'safe' for a long period turn out to be terrible for you. Pewter comes to mind. Once upon a time, it was used for plates and silverware. ~1% lead, and we know what wonderful things that does for infants and children.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Most studies say they are safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_controversy

Some people are more sensitive to these things than others. Composites will take over soon anyway.

Historically, people could accept much higher environmental risks because on average they only lived into their 30s anyway.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Mercury at this level doesn't kill, it just make folks stupid, and there is PLENTY of evidence that folks are stupid! What is lacking is direct evidence that the two are causally linked. After all, folks could be naturally stupid without being Mercury stupid too. ;)

However, can you say Roman lead sweetened wine?
OK. I'm beginning to catch on. Mercury causes lead poisoning.