New Spacedrive Concept?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

djolds1

New Spacedrive Concept?

Post by djolds1 »

Vae Victis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Despite some initial claims of negligible or even zero momentum transfer, recent theoretical studies concur that material objects may acquire momentum from quantum vacuum. This can be explained qualitatively by considering quantum vacuum as a random fluctuating electromagnetic field (so called zero fluctuations) composed of propagating modes. Each mode possesses both energy and momentum, causing Lamb splitting of spectral levels, Casimir attraction of objects in an empty space and other mechanical interactions from nano to astrophysical scales. The total momentum vanishes if the counter-propagating modes cancel mutually. It occurs in all materials except magneto-electrics, which lack both space and time symmetries.
Hmm, is that just me or is there that zero point energy coming into play again?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Anyone have rough ballpark estimate for practical feasibility?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

This is still a theoretical work, so I would not hold my breath for some breakthrough news until until we have some experimental data to read.

On a different note, is it my impression or lately there has been a large increase in "theoretical" models in many fields and a parallel decrease in raw experimental data?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Giorgio wrote:On a different note, is it my impression or lately there has been a large increase in "theoretical" models in many fields and a parallel decrease in raw experimental data?
Its not just you. First and foremost on my list would be "String Theory," which physicist Peter Woit christened so bad that it's "Not Even Wrong" in his book of the same name.
Vae Victis

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Yes, I know him from his blog, but I didn't read that book.
String theory (which we should call String HYPOTHEIS and not Theory) looks also to me just a way to discuss about nothing, as nothing out of it can be predicted or tested.
I mean, for what is worth they could spend their time theorizing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and obtain the same results.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Giorgio wrote:Yes, I know him from his blog, but I didn't read that book.
String theory (which we should call String HYPOTHEIS and not Theory) looks also to me just a way to discuss about nothing, as nothing out of it can be predicted or tested.
I mean, for what is worth they could spend their time theorizing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and obtain the same results.
String "Theory" is entirely provable and easily tested. All you need is a particle accelerator the diameter of the galaxy. :D Metaphysics is important, and has its place, but not in science.
Vae Victis

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

No need, we can just build a Calabi–Yau manifold (in 6 dimensions obviously) and this will prove the String "Theory" with ease.

I'll bring my welding machine, who brings the beer? :D

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Someone called String Theory a philosophy, because it can not be proven in an experiment.

clonan

Post by clonan »

Giorgio wrote: I mean, for what is worth they could spend their time theorizing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and obtain the same results.
The FSM is NOT theory! It is FAITH!! His noodely appendage will smite you for your insolence!

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

clonan wrote:
Giorgio wrote: I mean, for what is worth they could spend their time theorizing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and obtain the same results.
The FSM is NOT theory! It is FAITH!! His noodely appendage will smite you for your insolence!
Yeah, you definitely don't want a bunch of Pastafarians showing up on your doorstep, unless of course you like wine and carboloading...

clonan

Post by clonan »

IntLibber wrote: Yeah, you definitely don't want a bunch of Pastafarians showing up on your doorstep, unless of course you like wine and carboloading...
Don't forget the pirates...

doug l

Post by doug l »

Just here for the beer volcano...oh, and the factory fresh stippers.

jnaujok

Post by jnaujok »

doug l wrote:Just here for the beer volcano...oh, and the factory fresh stippers.
Who brought the midgit?

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The vacuum structure of the theory, called the string theory landscape, is not well understood. String theory contains an infinite number of distinct meta-stable vacua, and perhaps 10^500 of these or more correspond to a universe roughly similar to ours — with four dimensions, a high planck scale, gauge groups, and chiral fermions. Each of these corresponds to a different possible universe, with a different collection of particles and forces.[29] What principle, if any, can be used to select among these vacua is an open issue. While there are no continuous parameters in the theory, there is a very large set of possible universes, which may be radically different from each other.
So, basically string theory says the FSM has 10^500 semolina tentacles.