So how much things are "improving" in the muslim w

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DavidWillard wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Betruger wrote:More adversity, not less, produces the fittest arguments/designs/etc.

Argggggggghhhhh. Matey. A man after me own black heart.
There's a saying that went around at Intel in the QA and Engineering circles......Cut short and compiled as....

"Don't bitch unless you have a fix."
Aerospace engineering is not done that way. And one bitcher - if listened to might have saved one of the Shuttles.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

The way I remember that, there were two guys at Morton Thiokol throwing red flags at people all over the place, their employer and at NASA. Nobody listened.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TDPerk wrote:The way I remember that, there were two guys at Morton Thiokol throwing red flags at people all over the place, their employer and at NASA. Nobody listened.
Yes.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

And politics... IIRC segmented SRBs didn't win the original competition back in the early 70s, but then it was reopened, and suddenly the preferred one-piece SRBs lost out...

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

oh you guys... a bunch of engineers talking about anthropology.

Religion, being part of culture, is um.... okay, cultural relativism is a big thing that most people do not understand. To me, it may be too harsh to say that to understand a culture, you must be part of that culture; it actually requires both the inner lens and the outter lens. Being, kinda, an anthroplogy student, I know I havent even begin to start to learn about humanity and the human experience as a whole.

The modern world's concept of freedom and liberalism, even tho it may be progress and just, may not apply to some of the muslim world. But I do believe in one thing, cultural progressionism. There are bits and pieces of our old culture that are benefitual or cause no harm, so those bits survive, in anthropological terms, we call these things, "survivals". So traits of a culture can and should continue as long as they are good and/or they cause no harm.

If traditions of a cultural causes harm or injustice, it should be removed. That's how I feel about certain practices in the muslim world. No amount of twisted rationization, bad interpretation or archaic passages of religious text can ever justify harm. This obviously should be true for all cultures.

On the subject of burqa and veiling, that's reserved for another day.

Edit: bad spelling.
Last edited by Robthebob on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.