Regeneration

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

BenTC

Regeneration

Post by BenTC »

For kurt9... :)

One Gene Lost = One Limb Regained? Scientists Demonstrate Mammalian Regeneration Through a Single Gene Deletion
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 161913.htm
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

taniwha

Post by taniwha »

That makes me wonder how long until we see regenerative dentistry. I've heard mention of some progress there, but this might be helpful.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

taniwha wrote:That makes me wonder how long until we see regenerative dentistry. I've heard mention of some progress there, but this might be helpful.
http://nextbigfuture.com/2006/12/regene ... cture.html
http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/08/bioeng ... on-in.html
Vae Victis

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

Also this...
Freshwater Polyp Hydra Genome Sequenced: Survey Finds Genes Linked to Huntington's, Alzheimer's
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150922.htm
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Me and I am sure a lot of men in this world, cant wait until they can use gene therapy, or stem cells to grow back hair (I know that growing new hair with stem cells has already been done in the mouse model).
Teeth are cool too :)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Me and I am sure a lot of men in this world, cant wait until they can use gene therapy, or stem cells to grow back hair (I know that growing new hair with stem cells has already been done in the mouse model).
Teeth are cool too :)
I'm 65 and have a full head of hair. In the 70s and 80s I used to shave it all off every three months to lower maintenance and for other rather idiosyncratic reasons. Now it just won't go away and I don't shave it any more.

Life ain't fair.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

I actually don't find this too surprising. Our ancient proto-mammalian ancestors probably developed scarring in order to quickly cover a wound to prevent infection. In other words, infection was a greater problem than a missing digit or limb. Also, running around on dry land means that a growing stump is more likely to dry out and become damaged than it is in something aquatic, like a Salamander. The regeneration mechanism is probably hidden in the genetic code somewhere waiting to be switched back on. Looks like biotech is well on the way to finding it. 8)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I find my wounds heal faster (as in OK vs almost not at all) If I can keep them wet.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I saw this article earlier. If I remember correctly, the theory is that a scar is better than cancer. Apparently Mammals have had a long ongoing war with DNA damage turning into cancer. While it might be possible to survive without a limb, it is definitely not possible to survive with cancer.

Apparently it is a give up the one capability to prevent the other malady sort of thing.

On a similar subject, DARPA (I think) has been funding for years a program to regrow lost fingers (which apparently has some stunning successes.) with the hopes of eventually growing back lost limbs. If you aren't familiar with it, google it. It's worth a read.