The problem with active military

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
I think the entire point of that is to instill discipline and get soldiers used to doing what they are told.
By breaking their character?
That never happened in our military, not even among the Nazis (and they were pretty bad, from what I get).
I dont see the point in breaking a person. It does not result in a better soldier. You know the kind that thinks on his own and does not shoot innocents if he is told to.
After WW2, we put a little more thought into that too ;)
It may have something to do with the fact that Americans are a pretty independent lot, not given to easily following our superiors. Most of us grew up with the odd notion that we don't have any superiors. :) As a result, the military must go to great lengths to convey to us the notion that we have to put up with some for awhile. :)

This type of counter intuitive training is probably unnecessary for people who descended from a aristocracy based society. The notion that other people are your superiors is already ingrained socially.

Just a guess. :)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This type of counter intuitive training is probably unnecessary for people who descended from a aristocracy based society. The notion that other people are your superiors is already ingrained socially.
I dont know. I always have had problems taking orders. One of the reasons why I am self employed.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The Germans were hanged as war criminals for acting exactly by those laws against partisans.
I had not heard of the US herding men women and children into local places of worship and then setting fire to them. And shooting anyone who tried to escape.

And reprisals? I don't think Americans went into insurgent villages and picked every 10th person and killed them.

And I don't recall Americans running work camps where many went in and few came out alive. Or death camps which eliminated the necessity of setting up production.

And had the war worked the other way around and America had allied with Germany against Russia the war crimes trials would have been full of Russian translators. Luck of the draw. Or stupidity of leaders.

Too bad they both couldn't lose.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Skipjack wrote:
a) failure to wear identifiable uniforms insignia makes you an unlawful combatant and subject to summary execution on the battlefield in extremis, or otherwise, war crimes trial before military tribunals.
b) hiding in and among civillians, wearing civillian clothing, is a war crime subject to summary execution on the battlefield in extremis, or otherwise, war crimes trial before military tribunals
c) shooting civillians as collateral damage while targeting unlawful combatants hiding among them/ using them for human shields is NOT a war crime by lawful combatants doing the shooting, those deaths are the responsibility of the unlawful combatants wearing civvies and hiding among civillians.
The Germans were hanged as war criminals for acting exactly by those laws against partisans. I guess some people are samer than others...
Still, I totally love this. The US has to learn the hard way that
A) And occupation is not a walk in the park
B) It is even harder when you have to deal with partisans (nowadays called terrorists).
C) It is not easy to separate civilians from partisans.
D) It can make you pretty angry some times when partisans kill your comrade next to you and then the coward is hiding among the civs. Makes you want to take it out on those bastards, doesnt it? They are all in bed with the enemy anyway, arent they?

I hope you learn your lesson guys. I sure do. Maybe next time you make an anti Nazi movie, you look into the mirror first.
Actually, NO, the Germans were not hanged as war criminals for acting by these rules. They were hung for exterminating 6 million jews, catholics, gays, and gypsies. They were also hung for abuse of prisoners of war in violation of the Geneva Conventions (up to and including falsification of prisoner experience when red cross personnell inspected camps, i.e. giving prisoners new clothes, blankets, fresh food, etc etc for the day that inspectors showed up, took them away and treated like shit the rest of the time). The Germans were also hung for killing lawful combatants who had surrendered.

Finally, the Germans were hung for torture, abuse, and murder of prisoners who were unlawful combatants (i.e. captured French and Polish resistance, for instance) without holding a military tribunal. Killing unlawful combatants is fine provided the legal requirements are fulfilled. Failing to hold a tribunal before shooting a resistance prisoner is definitely a war crime under the Geneva Conventions.

Now, today we don't call "partisans" terrorists when they restrict themselves to attacking lawful combatants and lawful military targets. They are called insurgents.

The term "Partisan" is reserved for martial regular and irregular forces fighting against their own government in the situation that their government has broken their constitution and/or has become a quisling of a foreign power.

For instance, General Tito's fighters in Yugoslavia were partisans because the official yugoslav government was collaborating with the Germans. Same situation with Italian resistance against Mussolini.

Similarly, after the Russian Revolution you had partisan combat happening between White and Red Russians.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Skipjack wrote:
I dont know. I always have had problems taking orders. One of the reasons why I am self employed.
Actually it seems to be a larger problem of *listening*.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

MirariNefas wrote:
Saddam was killing 3,000 to 7,000 of his people each month. And you are hand wringing over reporters hanging out with targets? Spare me.
Funnily enough, I wasn't. I didn't say I cared about the reporter at all.

I'm surprised I got such a negative reaction. I'm saying that it's inhuman to want someone to be bad just so you can kill him. That's controversial? You guys are sick.
Not at all. Like Dirty Harry, we, and the gunners in the video, realize that the insurgent forces aren't going to renounce violence permanently simply because they dropped their gun. It makes the peacekeepers job immensely easier for evolution to remain in action, for the moron on the ground to stupidly reach for his AK again, rather than more sensibly running away. The only downside is that it filters the idiots out of the opposition and leaves their smarter members alive. Then again, if they were smart they'd put their guns away and participate in government.

So tell me, do you feel lucky... punk?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
I think the entire point of that is to instill discipline and get soldiers used to doing what they are told.
By breaking their character?
That never happened in our military, not even among the Nazis (and they were pretty bad, from what I get).
I dont see the point in breaking a person. It does not result in a better soldier. You know the kind that thinks on his own and does not shoot innocents if he is told to.
After WW2, we put a little more thought into that too ;)
There was no need to break down the character of the German soldier. The character required was already instilled. I'm not sure that can be counted as a plus.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

IntLibber wrote:
MirariNefas wrote:
Saddam was killing 3,000 to 7,000 of his people each month. And you are hand wringing over reporters hanging out with targets? Spare me.
Funnily enough, I wasn't. I didn't say I cared about the reporter at all.

I'm surprised I got such a negative reaction. I'm saying that it's inhuman to want someone to be bad just so you can kill him. That's controversial? You guys are sick.
Not at all. Like Dirty Harry, we, and the gunners in the video, realize that the insurgent forces aren't going to renounce violence permanently simply because they dropped their gun. It makes the peacekeepers job immensely easier for evolution to remain in action, for the moron on the ground to stupidly reach for his AK again, rather than more sensibly running away. The only downside is that it filters the idiots out of the opposition and leaves their smarter members alive. Then again, if they were smart they'd put their guns away and participate in government.

So tell me, do you feel lucky... punk?
Let me put it simply. It takes a fair amount of conviction to take up a gun for a cause. And you know, we would rather such convicts didn't run away to fight another day. But we are humane - if they drop the gun they live. But we can sure as hell root for them to pick it up. Death weeds out the stupidist. Then you get more interesting enemies to fight.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Actually, NO, the Germans were not hanged as war criminals for acting by these rules. They were hung for exterminating 6 million jews, catholics, gays, and gypsies
The catholics are news to me. I dont know where you got that one from.
Finally, the Germans were hung for torture, abuse, and murder of prisoners who were unlawful combatants
Uhm, Guatanamo?
They are not being killed, but tortured. Sorry, interrogated".
Now, today we don't call "partisans" terrorists when they restrict themselves to attacking lawful combatants and lawful military targets. They are called insurgents.
LOL, they are called freedom fighters if they fought the Germans. They are called terrorists if they fight the US. I see.
And the partisans killed PLENTY of civilians in WW2. Many of my grandmothers friends were MURDERED by partisans in Slovenia. Get your facts right!
I had not heard of the US herding men women and children into local places of worship and then setting fire to them. And shooting anyone who tried to escape.
Exaggerations and lies.
I don't think Americans went into insurgent villages and picked every 10th person and killed them.
No you just shoot arround anywhere and accept "collateral damage".
There was no need to break down the character of the German soldier. The character required was already instilled. I'm not sure that can be counted as a plus.
Yeah, yeah. The Germans are evil by nature. They are the boogie man to scare your children with. I think that this way of dealing with the horrible things that happened in WW2 is wrong.
These were normal people, people with families and children that ended up doing horrible things. You would do good asking yourself how this was possible and whether this can happen to yourself as well. That is what "learning from history" means. That is how you prevent something like this from happening again.
Instead you are blaming "German nature" for this. As if behaviour like that would be limited to Germans. LOL, as can be seen, these things happen everywhere.

Edit, I also want to add, that the partisans killed plenty of their own people, if they did not want to cooperate with them (hide them or help them otherwise). I am sure a lot of those deaths were later attributed to the Germans. Noone can proof otherwise anyway, right?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland

The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders

All this is getting closer in the USA though. We have environmentalists preaching eliminationist rhetoric.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/94878/

http://delawarelibertarian.blogspot.com ... umper.html
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/87351/

FROM THE ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT, eliminationist rhetoric. “Oh, great. Thanks for the warning about cutting back ‘population’ the hard way. Germany.”

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I see you do understand what I am trying to say Msimon.
Yes, they were ordinary people. Yes, somehow they ended up commiting atrocities. Denying the possibilty that this could happen in the US or that US soldier could be capable of simillar is the best way to make it happen.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

(Feel free to circulate this image, but please don't hotlink and please attribute to Ryno, a commenter at The Jawa Report)

We remained above the engagement site while Bushmaster sent ground forces to the site. Bushmaster arrived and reported 11 x AIF KIA and found RPGs and RPG rounds at the site. We also witnessed a loaded RPG lying 2-3 blocks south of the engagement site. Bushmaster reported that the first child was wounded and pulled from the van. We were unable to determine that there were children in the vehicle and never saw any children prior to or during the engagement. After viewing the gun tape, were able to determine that both wounded children came from the van. Bushmaster immediately MEDEVAC'd both girls to FOB Loyalty for medical care.

UPDATE by Rusty: The DOD report includes pictures of the RPGs found. They even have the photos that the Reuters cameramen were taking. The last photo one of them took? A US Humvee just down the alley and off camera from what the video shows.
Here's the picture found in one of the dead journalist's camera.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/201889.php

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Skipjack wrote:I see you do understand what I am trying to say Msimon.
Yes, they were ordinary people. Yes, somehow they ended up commiting atrocities. Denying the possibilty that this could happen in the US or that US soldier could be capable of simillar is the best way to make it happen.
a) none of us are denying that ANY human being is capable of committing atrocities given the right conditions. That is actually a tautology of the error of empowering government and why some of us here are libertarians: we implicitly understand that when you empower government employees to kill, to torture, to abuse the rights of people, they will rather naturally exercise those powers and excuse themselves because they were "acting under orders", and despite those orders being illegal orders, neither they, nor their superiors will ever actually be held accountable. (hence, Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc etc)

b) what we ARE denying is the claim that the US forces regularly kill civillians, even in small numbers, intentionally, and we are denying that there are any credible claims to the contrary.

c) The Geneva Conventions clearly remove legal protections from those found to be committing war crimes, being unlawful combatants. I don't care if you don't care about the Conventions, other than to say, that your attitude is exactly the problem that your ancestors in WWII suffered from that led them to commit the crimes they did.

d) You also forget that, while violations of the Conventions are ajudicated by military tribunals, by national and international courts, this does not mean that a country cannot pass laws with higher standards of human behavior and hold people to account who violated them within their own borders.

e) All this being said, it is to the benefit of our soldiers that they strive to act within the limits of the conventions at all times, even if the enemy does not. Firstly it gives us the moral authority on the world stage, and builds public sympathy for US troops when the enemy captures and abuses them. For instance, that 'confession' video that the taliban have released, of a captured US serviceman, is a war crime, and rather than building sympathy for the Taliban, builds sympathy for the US and illustrates the barbarous nature of the enemy.

Finally, I have absolutely no problem with insurgents attacking our forces with any tactics they find effective, HOWEVER, I still accept that by doing so they likewise deserve whatever they have coming to them if they act in violation of the laws of war.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging an enemy to continue to pick up a weapon while in an untenable situation, especially when the enemy is demonstrably barbarous and vile in how they treat their enemies, however I agree that it would portray our troops in a more positive light if they had instead spoken as if disgouraging them from picking weapons back up. There is nothing sick about what they did, merely impolitic.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:I see you do understand what I am trying to say Msimon.
You must have missed where I said:
All this is getting closer in the USA though. We have environmentalists preaching eliminationist rhetoric.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

You must have missed where I said:
No, I did see that and I do agree with that as well.
Waco, etc
What does Waco have to do with that?
The Geneva Conventions clearly remove legal protections from those found to be committing war crimes, being unlawful combatants
Yupp, actually that was already in the Haager convention.
I don't care if you don't care about the Conventions, other than to say, that your attitude is exactly the problem that your ancestors in WWII suffered from that led them to commit the crimes they did.
Careful here. I was not talking about the real crimes the Nazis commited. I was just saying that the fight against partisans was never pretty and the US is facing the same problem now and it is not pretty either. The Germans had noone defending their position and actions after the war, unlike the US has now. I wonder how many of simillar accusations were made falsly against Germans. The partisans clearly killed many people and people that refused to cooperate with them. Who says that atrocities attributed to the Germans were not commited by the partisans?
I know that the partisans murdered all of my grandmothers friends at the end of WW2, all civilians.
BTW, I do care A LOT about conventions. That is why I absolutely hate partisans and terrorists. They are the ones responsible if civilians have to suffer.