The Green economy Just Doesn't Work

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

The Green economy Just Doesn't Work

Post by Jccarlton »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Uhm, the Spanish economy was already crap without the green economy crap that they introduced (I agree with you on that, btw).
They should have a little less siestas a few more work hours a day.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Is whether it will work or not really the dynamic driving the move toward a "green" economy? Does anyone believe that production of energy is a goal in this drive?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I'm fully in favor of green initiatives, as long as by green you mean "making money".

All these alternative energy ideas can make power. The question is, can they make money? If not, they are not economically viable. Where someone can come up with a means of making electricity on a large scale that is competitive with or superior to polluting forms, then we have a winner.

As examples, may I hold up Tesla's exploitation of Niagra Falls, and the use of fission power.

Neither are darlings of The Greens, but they are definitely green.

My interest in the Polywell is the hope and suspicion that it will turn out to be very green.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

One of the positive effects of alternative energy sources is that they releave us from the dependency of arabic nations. I would rather feed that money to a local company, than to an arab sheikhs.
Of course this can only go so far. If things get too expensive then, the advantage is lost.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

One of the positive effects of alternative energy sources is that they releave us from the dependency of arabic nations. I would rather feed that money to a local company, than to an arab sheikhs.
The people who buy from the Arabs have a competitive advantage. Your economy moves there. Assuming a 5:1 advantage Arab oil vs Green oil.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The people who buy from the Arabs have a competitive advantage. Your economy moves there. Assuming a 5:1 advantage Arab oil vs Green oil.
Agreed, it is not feasible at the moment and in that case it does not make sense to use it. That is what I said in the rest of my post, if you read that.
That is why we have to do research to reduce the price on whatever replacements for oil we can come up with. If they go below a certain level, even if they are slightly more expensive than the Arab oil, there will be an economic advantage to use those.

Soylent

Post by Soylent »

Not even plants like green; that's why they're green, it's the photons they don't want.

I prefer blue energy(blue as in the cerenkov radiation from a nuclear reactor and blue as in hydropower).

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

"Money" is just a measure of effort. Usually, the more money, the more expensive the resources to make it, in addition to higher labor.

More resources means, usually, more fossil fuels needed to get them.

That is, "green" technologies front-load the fossil use and environmental impact.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness