Halbach array fans for aeropropulsion

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Halbach array fans for aeropropulsion

Post by ladajo »

It makes for an interesting tuning problem when you think about tip flex along the thrust axis.
Blade shape and tip shaping will be critical to maximize efficiencies.
I do like the idea of an entrained core axial flow. Now add a combustible spray behind it and we are on to something!
It could be a rocket or a jet! With enough combustible thrust, it could also be a generator instead of a motor up front.
Especially if you used the outing housing as the mechanical coupling to complete the brayton cycle, although, there is opportunity to insert a generator later, and couple the front end electrically, albeit with less efficiency.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ladajo wrote:With enough combustible thrust, it could also be a generator instead of a motor up front.
But then you are back into the temperature and material issues of standard turbines. Unless you mean pull-through flow vs. push-through flow.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ladajo wrote:Especially if you used the outing housing as the mechanical coupling to complete the brayton cycle
Standard Brayton-cycle engine involves a huge amount of compression. I doubt the entrainment would provide that.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

pull through, and for compression, I see cascading layers of fans, just like in a normal cycle.
The big difference here would be the movement of the mechanical coupling to the outer shell, vice a central shaft.
There, as I said above, may also be some opportunity for electrical coupling, via an output side power turbine using a similar shaftless construct.
Fair amount of drama in a standard turbine with the care and feeding of the core shaft. Eliminating that shaft is something to ponder.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I still like the idea of firing a fusion-powered relativistic electron beam down the axis. Maybe a narrow, conical set of discrete e-beams that converge to plasma-generation intensity just after passing through the hubless rotor and some sort of near-axis deflector to protect the rotor and reflect the shock and heat downstream.

Combustion needs fuel and fuel tanks are bulky, not to mention the flow complications introduced by the injectors/combustors.

The problem with MHD generation using plasma has always been low efficiency.