Halbach array fans for aeropropulsion

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I'd be interested to see some diagrams of a variable pitch mechanism for such a fan. Seems the only thing left out.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Seems like there is enough room in the hub for that.

Since the support coils are passive (don't need a power supply), this design might also be amenable to being powered only by HV from a Polywell, the drive apparatus located somewhere on the nonconducting structure, sufficiently isolated from the Halbach array and passive coils.

cc

Post by cc »

I have been following Inductrack for a while, and this is an obvious extension of the underlying technology. It is a brilliant passive magnetic levitation system, and as the years go by, I am increasingly surprised that it hasn't found more applications.

At any rate, this was a nice find by GIThruster.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

There are lots of potential applications for Halbach arrays. I recall one where Halbach arrays were used to suspend the rotor of a very high RPM flywheel energy storage system. It came out of Livermore Lab and was marketed as a backup power supply for server farms, etc.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

DeltaV wrote:There are lots of potential applications for Halbach arrays. I recall one where Halbach arrays were used to suspend the rotor of a very high RPM flywheel energy storage system. It came out of Livermore Lab and was marketed as a backup power supply for server farms, etc.
Check out http://www.beaconpower.com/ .

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
DeltaV wrote:There are lots of potential applications for Halbach arrays. I recall one where Halbach arrays were used to suspend the rotor of a very high RPM flywheel energy storage system. It came out of Livermore Lab and was marketed as a backup power supply for server farms, etc.
Beat me to it.

I like this Beacon url:

http://www.beaconpower.com/products/smart-energy-25.asp
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DeltaV wrote:Seems like there is enough room in the hub for that.

Since the support coils are passive (don't need a power supply), this design might also be amenable to being powered only by HV from a Polywell, the drive apparatus located somewhere on the nonconducting structure, sufficiently isolated from the Halbach array and passive coils.
It looks to me like they are using some synchronous electronics controlled motor to get the power to the fan.

It is probably better to have the HV stuff localized in the down converter than distributed in the motors.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Isn't there issues with the flywheels physically "delaminating" over time with rotary storage? I had a buddy at MIT who worked this for his Masters about 14 or 15 years ago. We had numerous talks about it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Isn't there issues with the flywheels physically "delaminating" over time with rotary storage? I had a buddy at MIT who worked this for his Masters about 14 or 15 years ago. We had numerous talks about it.
My recollection is that "they" (flywheel designers) went to composite flywheels to allow delamination as a safety mechanism. Solid metal flywheels tend to rupture explosively into a small number of really heavy/dangerous pieces. Composites start delaminating then suffer a progressive delam into fluff. Much safer that way. The main point here is that they use Halbach arrays for the bearings thus have vey low losses.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: I like this Beacon url:
http://www.beaconpower.com/products/smart-energy-25.asp
I hope their frequency regulation business model makes them rich! Such a neat idea.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

MSimon wrote:It looks to me like they are using some synchronous electronics controlled motor to get the power to the fan.
Yes, they positionally alternate passive support coils and active drive coils around the circumference.
MSimon wrote:It is probably better to have the HV stuff localized in the down converter than distributed in the motors.
Agreed. Low voltage to the motors is vastly preferred. The only concern is down-converter mass. HV to the motors is a last resort.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

There has been a thread on this forum regarding the possibility of HV electro-static motors in lieu of electro-magnetic. What was the outcome?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

KitemanSA wrote:
I was thinking of American Flywheel Systems, which merged into AFSTrinity, http://afstrinity.com/company/ ,and toned down their flywheel projects. The original Livermore design had an innovative "inside out" rotor that used Litz wire and Halbach arrays. They at one time planned to put primary energy flywheel storage in a consumer car but changed their mind. Now they have a hand in race cars:
American Flywheel Systems, Inc (AFS) received the first patent ever given for a flywheel battery in 1992 and merged with Trinity Flywheel Power to create AFS Trinity Power in 2000. Although AFS Trinity is not currently using flywheels in systems that are designed for consumer cars, it is actively engaged in developing flywheel power systems for Formula One Racing (F1) and is currently developing such a system for one of the world's top F1 teams. Starting in 2009, Formula 1 racing will allow the use of Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) to absorb energy through regenerative braking. Simply put, starting next year F1 race cars will be hybrids. F1 racing is the pinnacle of motor sport and KERS will improve efficiency, reduce fuel consumption, and give drivers an absolutely critical "push to pass" capability. AFS Trinity has developed and tested flywheel based KERS technology for one of the world's top F1 teams.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

KitemanSA wrote:There has been a thread on this forum regarding the possibility of HV electro-static motors in lieu of electro-magnetic. What was the outcome?
No outcome. Unexplored technical territory. Last resort if Plan A (Mach Effect) or Plans B_1-n fail.