Halbach array fans for aeropropulsion

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Ugly is right. I am returning to my original plan which was to avoid certain person here at all costs as they bring out the worst in me.
Last edited by GIThruster on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

icarus

Post by icarus »

???
Last edited by icarus on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

[]
Last edited by GIThruster on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

icarus

Post by icarus »

Moderators?

Please remove GITthruster for posting offensive insults, above,
What a f u c k i n g asshole!!!!
topping off long stream of antagonising name-calling.

You've lost the plot fella. My credentials are for real, identifying information redacted of course, which I absolutely will not be revealing to any unstable individuals. I'll be happy to show Joe in confidence (if that will really change anything). You've been trumped, just leave gracefully and don't make a scene.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

[]

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

My diploma's bigger than yours.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Great stuff but the energy density is still too low for an electric car. This is just for smoothing out the peek power pulses in electric vehicle operation.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

That must be why AFS Trinity postponed or abandoned their planned flywheel vehicle.

I'm more interested in the Halbach bearings.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:My diploma's bigger than yours.
I did it without a diploma. You don't get much bigger than that.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

My point exactly.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Anyone here know anything about diamagnetic motors? Just seems to me the main improvement left in electric motors is to make them much lighter weight. Given some highly diamagnetic materials are relatively light weight, I'm curious if they are capable of developing the same forces as ferromagnetics.

Is it possible to make an aerogel filled with a highly diamagnetic gas, and use cells from this in other ferro-designs in order to produce a much lighter weight motor?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Interesting idea.

It makes me wonder how the applied forces would act on the gel cell.

There is lots of stress in a loaded motor.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well, there's pyrolytic carbon as well. Diamagnetism is generally orders magnitude less than para or ferro, but graphene sheets are very strong and light. If they could be engineered into a motor and have their diamagnetic properties lend a hand, you might shave some weight off a relatively heavy item, both motors and generators.

DeltaV

Halbach array fans for aeropropulsion

Post by DeltaV »

icarus wrote:In a nutshell:

The hubless idea is to allow the vorticity sheet from the blade 'lift' to roll-up and shed as strong, discrete tip-vortices. Manipulating the location of trailing vortices can minimise the 'induced drag' component contribution of these streamwise vortices.

There is more to it from the global flow viewpoint, (things like having a jet-like rather than wake-like core-flow is advantageous for avoiding vortex-breakdown) but it will probably bore most of you.
(Meant to reply to this in 2010 but got lost in the shuffle...)

I see the shed tip vortices near the center combining constructively to generate near-axis flow entrainment. Somewhat similar to Transvectors: