Too Much Money In It

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Too Much Money In It

Post by MSimon »

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/201 ... money.html

Hillary Clinton explains why we can't end the War On Drugs.

"The Latin American drug cartels have stretched their tentacles much deeper into our lives than most people believe. It's possible they are calling the shots at all levels of government."
- William Colby, former CIA Director, 1995
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

"To oppose something is to maintain it." Ursula K. LeGuin - "The Left Hand of Darkness"

Edit: A terrible though: does opposing the Drug War maintain it?
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rjaypeters wrote:"To oppose something is to maintain it." Ursula K. LeGuin - "The Left Hand of Darkness"

It is maintained by the cartels for their purposes and by the government agencies for theirs. Follow the money.

A most excellent Baptist/Bootlegger coalition.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Re: Too Much Money In It

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/201 ... money.html

"The Latin American drug cartels have stretched their tentacles much deeper into our lives than most people believe. It's possible they are calling the shots at all levels of government."
Hillary is an idiot. At that she's still ten times smarter than Obama.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

rjaypeters wrote:"To oppose something is to maintain it." Ursula K. LeGuin - "The Left Hand of Darkness"

That has been MSimon's Raison d'etre for a very long time.

I keep citing China as an example of what happens when you surrender in the Drug war. (You know, economic collapse, overrun by an invading foreign army, and eventually the Anarchy is cured by a dictator. )

Luzr

Post by Luzr »

Diogenes wrote:

That has been MSimon's Raison d'etre for a very long time.

I keep citing China as an example of what happens when you surrender in the Drug war. (You know, economic collapse, overrun by an invading foreign army, and eventually the Anarchy is cured by a dictator. )
It is worth mentioning that the same kind of drugs was at the time legal in countries of invading forces.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The Clipper Ship China Run was all about Americans delivering opium to China. The opiates were legal (and thus not very profitable) in America.
"When we sold the Heathen nations rum and opium in rolls,
And the Missionaries went along to save their sinful souls
."

The Old Clipper Days --Julian S. Cutler

http://www.ctrl.org/boodleboys/boddlesboys2.html
====

And yes the Drug War is one of my pet causes. I have studied it from every aspect - Legal, medical, social, sociological for over 40 year.

I don't see the point of spending $25 bn a year Federally to make it easier for children to get an illegal drug than a legal beer. I believe we could do that a lot cheaper. We could even make those drugs as hard for kids to get as beer.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BTW if Drugs can bring down a country America should have been destroyed long ago by alcohol. One of the most dangerous psychoactive drugs (legal or illegal) on the market.

choff

Post by choff »

Colby should know, rogue elements of the intel community have been running it since god who knows, and not so much to fund operations.
CHoff

Helius

It doesn't help.

Post by Helius »

MSimon wrote:BTW if Drugs can bring down a country America should have been destroyed long ago by alcohol. One of the most dangerous psychoactive drugs (legal or illegal) on the market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0t0EW6z8a0
Strange. You and Neil seem to be on the same page.
He says a lot of great art goes down the drain. I've stood next to many a man side buy side facing the tiles above our respective porcelain `drains', stances shifting, where one of us finally says it: "<cough> Ya don't buy beer, you rent it."

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:

Colby should know, rogue elements of the intel community have been running it since god who knows, and not so much to fund operations.
You can usually tell where the CIA big operations are by the kinds of drugs flooding the US market.

BTW where better to find clandestine operators who will do it for money than among the drug smugglers and other criminals?

You can watch the movie Air America for some hints. Also read McCoy: The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade

MSimon

Re: It doesn't help.

Post by MSimon »

Helius wrote:
MSimon wrote:BTW if Drugs can bring down a country America should have been destroyed long ago by alcohol. One of the most dangerous psychoactive drugs (legal or illegal) on the market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0t0EW6z8a0
Strange. You and Neil seem to be on the same page.
He says a lot of great art goes down the drain. I've stood next to many a man side buy side facing the tiles above our respective porcelain `drains', stances shifting, where one of us finally says it: "<cough> Ya don't buy beer, you rent it."
And yet drug taking (alcohol included) has been the inspiration of quite a bit of art. But then I'm sort of a Jimmy Buffett fan.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Let me add that the first mate just mentioned that heroin is flooding the market in Rockford. I think she heard it on the radio. She said the police are breaking the gangs in rotation. Which is probably a cover for supporting favored gangs and punishing the others. My guess is that CIA heroin gets preference.

Now where would that heroin be coming from? (cough) Afghanistan?

Also: Rockford is a major air transport hub including military air transport. Funny how it all works. Maybe Rockford is the Mena of our age. And Hillary let the cat peek out of the bag.

choff

Post by choff »

MSimon wrote:Let me add that the first mate just mentioned that heroin is flooding the market in Rockford. I think she heard it on the radio. She said the police are breaking the gangs in rotation. Which is probably a cover for supporting favored gangs and punishing the others. My guess is that CIA heroin gets preference.

Now where would that heroin be coming from? (cough) Afghanistan?

Also: Rockford is a major air transport hub including military air transport. Funny how it all works. Maybe Rockford is the Mena of our age. And Hillary let the cat peek out of the bag.
I wonder if it ever occured to these intel drug smugglers that they're doing more harm than good?
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I wonder if it ever occured to these intel drug smugglers that they're doing more harm than good?
Maybe Colby was having second thoughts. His death was somewhat unusual.

In any case they are not charged with fixing domestic policy. That is up to us.

The son of a friend of ours died from an opiate overdose about a week ago. Here in Rockford. Bastards.

And yet the antidote to heroin could be made available if we didn't have so many moral busybodies.

From 2006:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _proposed/

From 2008:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=17578955