Seeking input about Television on my PC.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Seeking input about Television on my PC.

Post by Aero »

I am just about fed up with my cable company. It has been raising prices and lowering service every since I signed up three years ago and I'm looking to change. I use them for basic cable TV and broadband Internet. The telephone company just installed fiber optic to my neighborhood so I can get high speed internet on DSL (7 meg download for about half price) but I still would like a little Television service. What is the reputation and experience with TV via an Internet connected computer? I found a review that rated HULU, Fancast and Clicker number 1, 2 and 3 for the free TV via internet and I found a paid software package,
http://www.dtv4pc.net/hyd/blue/main_nflf/se/index.php
that tells a good story.
Does anyone have experience using a PC to receive television? Do you have a provider that you like? What are the pros and cons. Of course I know the Television will use the PC monitor so I won't be able to watch TV and read posts on TP at the same time. That's OK, I really don't watch much TV.
Aero

palladin9479

TV

Post by palladin9479 »

I have basic cable for my GF to watch her Korean dramas but I've ceased watching mainstream television a long time ago. By suggest is to register with Hulu / Hulu Plus and stream what they have. Netflicks also provides a very good movie service over the Internet.

What specifically are you after for "television"? Just shows / sports / movies / ads? That has a pretty big effect on which service you subscribe to.

Aero

Post by Aero »

What specifically are you after for "television"? Just shows / sports / movies / ads? That has a pretty big effect on which service you subscribe to.
We currently watch the local news, predominately the weather forecast and weather alerts when it is stormy. We also watch PBS kids, the TV programs for toddlers. That's about it although I watch golf matches, rarely. I've been thinking about buying a weather radio which might serve for stormy weather news.
I don't like the flicker in the HULU shows I've tried to watch via my current cable provider. What do you suppose is causing the flicker?
Aero

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

I just recently disconnected my satellite and switched to TV over the net. Netflix is awesome for catching up on older TV shows and outdated movies, and is only $10/month.

I wouldn't pay for Hulu or any of the other streaming sites. If there are specific shows you follow, you can usually watch them for free for a couple of weeks after they air either on their actual site (abc.com, nbc.com, discovery.com, etc.) or on Hulu.

If you've missed shows that are no longer cached for free from these sites, and they aren't on Netflix yet, then you can usually find them on Amazon.com for about a $1/show.
Perrin Ehlinger