Total Binding energy for all isotopes.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

KitemanSA wrote:
ladajo wrote: Yes, I made an eyeball of the trending lines back to a source point. Originally I wrote it as "Magical Isotope" but then changed it.

It is curious to me that away from the boundary, there seems to be a convergence point.
I am curious. Which point?
That was the convergence point that I eyeballed. If you project the "dotted lines" back away from the boundary, they seem to converge down around 100 or so nucleons and 500Mev. So yes, about 5 Mev per nucleon.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I find a peak on the graph at A~88 and BE ~ 780. Is that the one?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, for peak, but I am looking the other way. Think anti-peak.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Yes, for peak, but I am looking the other way. Think anti-peak.
I see several.

Code: Select all

A =  73    BE = 580
A =  91    BE = 740
A = 102    BE = 830

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It seems to cluster around A=100. I wonder if a refinement beyond the eyeball would reveal a single point. An of course, I am wondering why.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:It seems to cluster around A=100. I wonder if a refinement beyond the eyeball would reveal a single point. An of course, I am wondering why.
Interesting thought.... I think that Chris can check that.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:It seems to cluster around A=100. I wonder if a refinement beyond the eyeball would reveal a single point. An of course, I am wondering why.
You got me baffled cuz nothing seems to "cluster" around A=100. I got a single lonely point at A=102. Are you reading the graph correctly?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Try to visually extend the lines of the graph, they give te impression to converge on a point somewhere on the 100 line.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

This is what it looks like to me, as an approximate 'schematic' of the lines.

I generally think each of the lines represents elements with a lot of stable isotopes, so that each nucleon 'added to' the lower 'A' isotope bumps up its total binding energy for each nucleon addition, so we see these little lines. What I find interesting - and it may just be me seeing things in the dots, is that around 100 we get elements where the isotopes 'cross' with elements the other side of that 'divide', whereas elsewhere they tend to [generally] run side-by-side to the next one along.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, I saw that as well. Interesting. Hmmm. and Hmm again.

If you look close at the A>200 range, those lines seem to curve in towards that 100 nexus. I know in your overlay, you dropped them straight, but they still seem to arc in. Trick of the eye???

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The clustering and overlapping around 100 is intriguing. I wonder if the isotope groupings line up with known families, or nuclide chains.

Be interesting to overlay the nulcide chains or periodic famlies over Chris' graph.

and Hmmmm again.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Just be careful - that lower line is arbitrary. The '100' point on the 'horizontal axis' is meaningless, it's just where I chose to put the axis in at that 'angle'. Both axes are 'distorted' with respect to the original cartesian lines of the very first plot. Remeber that all lines are still lines in this transformation, and these 'axes' are equivalent to some odd gradient line in the original. Only the 'angles' between points change.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Chris,
Dan hasn't responded in a while. Do you think he finally got it?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Nope. Not yet.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Nope, I've not got it. Chris MB first says that there is a intercept at ~ Ni 62 in his first graph in this thread, where a line drawn from the origin intercepts the curve and that there is a reversal of slope at this point. I would like to actually see this graphically, as I do not appreciate it. When he plays with the geometry of the axis of the graph it looks more concave throughout (where is the line he mentioned now?) This appears to have a peak at ~ 100 nucleons, but this is an artifact of the presentation.

Also, the nomenclature is confusing, at least to me. Total binding energy, is just that. It should be the total of the energies involved, both attractive and repulsive. I'll concede this point, though it is distasteful. There is no misunderstanding at all that as you add nucleons to a nucleus the total contained energy increases. That is not the point. The importance is the nature of the energy- strong force and coulomb repulsion. This interaction leads to the Total binding energy graph, or if you prefer the total binding energy per nucleon graph that shows the Ni62 peak with the energy (per nucleon) falling off on either side. That Ni62 is the peak, tells you that energy can be released as you approach this point from either side- fusion of lighter elements and fission of heavier elements. The claim that fusion will continue to release energy past Ni62 is the bone of contention. I have given astronomical considerations that I think would have obvious and possibly dire consequences if this occurred. I have also included multiple quotes from authoritative sources that state the fusion/ fission energy balance in relation to Ni62 (in some they use Fe56). That these are completely ignored is what is appalling. That my efforts at clarification may be inept is irrelevant.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.