Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by paperburn1 »

Some clever fellows I know of made a mosquito defense grid using laser. Yep ,you sat on you pouch and it zapped the pesky little buggers
Don't know what ever happened to that project, last I heard they were looking for venture capital
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Alexa calls cops on man allegedly beating his girlfriend

“The unexpected use of this new technology to contact emergency services has possibly helped save a life,” Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales III told ABC News. “This amazing technology definitely helped save a mother and her child from a very violent situation.”

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/07/10/ ... riend.html

Ominous. Today real crime. Tomorrow "Thought Crime."

I hear Zuckerberg covers the camera's of his laptops with tape.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:Some clever fellows I know of made a mosquito defense grid using laser. Yep ,you sat on you pouch and it zapped the pesky little buggers
Don't know what ever happened to that project, last I heard they were looking for venture capital

I've read articles on people doing this, and it is something I have considered trying to do myself.

It's not as straightforward as the articles I have seen made it appear. Getting something that can cover a complete hemisphere of intercept zone doesn't appear to have been accomplished.

What kind of area could your friends mosquito zapper cover? What was their detection method for tracking the mosquitos?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_laser

Some good links in the article for source material.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Hey I like that mosquito system.

That it analyzes the target insect to ensure it is a female mosquito of the correct disease carrying type is ingenious. Only then will it fire the killing pulse. This is a lot better than indiscriminate chemicals that kill off almost every bug in an area.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_laser

The "Photonic Fence". Basically put up an IR light source and wait for something to block the light.

Not as clever as I would like to see.
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://makezine.com/
This is where I read about it a while back. you can email questions to some "Makers" if your a member
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Diogenes wrote:

The "Photonic Fence". Basically put up an IR light source and wait for something to block the light.

Okay on the initial trigger, however the selective targeting feature is pretty cool. And having used a similar IR "fence" construct while designing a safety barrier system for a production line machine years ago, it does work pretty well. I can easily see using it to create a safe zone on your patio or deck, especially if you have a roof/tent/shelter.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

Okay on the initial trigger, however the selective targeting feature is pretty cool. And having used a similar IR "fence" construct while designing a safety barrier system for a production line machine years ago, it does work pretty well. I can easily see using it to create a safe zone on your patio or deck, especially if you have a roof/tent/shelter.

Provided it fits in the camera's frustum, and provided you can get sufficiently even luminosity out of your photonic fence.

The selective targeting feature is a little innovative, but this is not the "Mosquito Defense system" I was looking for. It is obviously better than nothing, but with the stuff available nowadays, I would think we could develop something with a larger and more extensive coverage area. Also something that could be moved into position and stand alone without having another component (the photonic fence) strategically positioned.

I guess this is pretty good for a quick, dirty and cheap approach, but I would think there are better methods. Rotating 3D camera's for example. Map an area. Any pixel coordinates that crop up that aren't part of the original background can be examined with the target scanning laser. If it's a female mosquito, zap it.

Seems like it would cover a much wider area with one stand alone device, and therefore be much more practical.
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Rotating 3D camera's for example.
Interesting idea, or even a LIDAR. Might be overwhelming regarding false positives, may need some tuning / filtering work.

I think there is another approach using wideband directional sound monitoring. This concept is used already to track kinetic fires in time and space. Probably could be adjusted for local area (patio) monitoring for zippy wings...

choff

Post by choff »

I prefer this sort of mosquito zapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZUVea5M1g
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Efficient and effective system

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

A friend had a belt attached device that emits sound at the frequency of dragon fly wings to keep mosquitoes away, and it apparently worked pretty well for him. Having real dragonflys, of course, is better since they actively hunt the mosquitoes.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:
Interesting idea, or even a LIDAR. Might be overwhelming regarding false positives, may need some tuning / filtering work.
Might be some ways of improving mosquito reflectivity by using light sources of different wavelengths. There are different designs of 3d cameras. It was only last year that I learned they actually manufacture 3D cameras which give you a z output based on time of flight for every X,Y pixel element. You can literally map an entire area in an instant.

Presumably a flying mosquito would show up as a potential intermittent pixel, but one which would show up in a consistent area over multiple frames. That "time of flight" Z axis output can literally tell you how far away it is in 1/60th of a second.

ladajo wrote:
I think there is another approach using wideband directional sound monitoring. This concept is used already to track kinetic fires in time and space. Probably could be adjusted for local area (patio) monitoring for zippy wings...

It occurred to me that they could wide beam the target scanning laser and listen for the proper sound frequency over a wider angle; An Optical-Aucoustical sort of thing. Once they pick up the right frequency they can narrow the beam for a more precise targeting.

But yes, since they are relying on the frequency of the mosquito's wings to designate what kind of target it is, it would save a lot of time if they would just look for that first. They could acoustically track an omni-directional area and then do some direction finding.

I think there are a lot of areas where this concept can be improved. It would be nice if we could reach a point where you could deploy a stand alone system to cover an area for the same price as citronella candles. :)
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

krenshala wrote:A friend had a belt attached device that emits sound at the frequency of dragon fly wings to keep mosquitoes away, and it apparently worked pretty well for him. Having real dragonflys, of course, is better since they actively hunt the mosquitoes.

If that works, that might be a pretty cheap and effective system. I suppose with a laser vibration sensor, one could figure out what sort of sound a dragon fly makes and then reproduce it.

Of course I never regarded mosquito's as intelligent enough to be wary of predators.

What frequency do dragon fly wings beat at anyway? That would be seemingly easy to reproduce for an experiment.
— Lord Melbourne —