Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:Two by two with hands of blue.
https://www.funker530.com/eod-robot-kil ... ly-attack/

They used one of their explosive ordinance robots, strapped with some explosives, to kill the attacker. During an official statement about the event the Dallas Police chief David Brown said,

Just the beginning. Swarm bots are going to be the go to method of clearing areas of enemy combatants.

Humans will decide who are the enemies.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

I'm still partial to flamethrowers, no permit required(classified as farm implement), that or White phosphorous grenades. Though I expect drones could be so equipped, an exquisite blending of old and new.
CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

choff wrote:I'm still partial to flamethrowers, no permit required(classified as farm implement), that or White phosphorous grenades. Though I expect drones could be so equipped, an exquisite blending of old and new.

I think they can be on you faster than you can notice them. Your method would only work in a very narrow set of circumstances with one of the requirements being awareness that they are coming.

Future battlefields are no place for humans. Come to think of it, so are past battlefields.

This Delightful Dragonfly Drone Swims Swiftly Through The Air

Designed by Festo, the BioniCopter does have some subtle little tricks up its sleeve. Each of its four wings, for instance, has 90 degrees of freedom and its head and tail move to counterbalance the drone's jerky movement with the help of shape-memory alloy structures.
http://gizmodo.com/5992899/this-delight ... gh-the-air

Just pack a few ounces of plastic on similar devices and fly them into the bad guys. A guy with a flame thrower might take several of them to get him, but they are gonna be cheap enough.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

Flamethrowers have much more psychological impact on entrenched or barricaded adversaries than other weapons, and they require no gun permit in home defense situations.
CHoff

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Not bad, but not nearly as good as a DNA-based blue dragonfly I once saw.

Sub-millimeter position hold wth simultaneous high angular-rate attitude tracking of my fingertip, with a perfect "deadbeat" response (quick response with no visible overshoot/ringing).

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

DeltaV wrote:
Not bad, but not nearly as good as a DNA-based blue dragonfly I once saw.

Sub-millimeter position hold wth simultaneous high angular-rate attitude tracking of my fingertip, with a perfect "deadbeat" response (quick response with no visible overshoot/ringing).

Yeah, the real thing is astonishingly good. But the artificial thing is probably "good enough."
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The Marines now have robots that carry and fire heavy machine guns

Detailed in a Business Insider video, the Maars (Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System) is the military’s machine gun-toting robot. The robot is like a mini-tank with a remote control. It can travel at a top speed of 7 mph, which means it’ll walk alongside marines on a mission, and its battery is good for 8 to 12 hours.

When equipped with a M240 machine gun, the Maars can carry some 400 rounds in addition to the weapon itself. But it can also be used to drag wounded Marines off the battlefield if need be.

http://bgr.com/2016/08/02/marines-machine-gun-robot/
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Early versions, including one I played with had an issue where the links and brass would collect on the deck and jam the traverse.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

Reminds me of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_tracked_mine

First time I read about it, was a German account of the Battle of Normandy. There were three American officers on D Day,who didn't know what it was. So one of them opened the lid and threw a grenade inside, didn't know it had 200 lbs of HE inside. The German officer who saw them do it only survived because another American soldier saw his feet sticking out of the dirt mound the explosion threw up and pulled him out.
CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:Early versions, including one I played with had an issue where the links and brass would collect on the deck and jam the traverse.

I assume they came up with some sort of collection scheme for the links and brass?
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

choff wrote:Reminds me of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_tracked_mine

First time I read about it, was a German account of the Battle of Normandy. There were three American officers on D Day,who didn't know what it was. So one of them opened the lid and threw a grenade inside, didn't know it had 200 lbs of HE inside. The German officer who saw them do it only survived because another American soldier saw his feet sticking out of the dirt mound the explosion threw up and pulled him out.

You may or may not be aware of this, but Joe Kennedy (John F Kennedy's older brother) was piloting an explosive laden plane that was intended to be guided to it's target by Television for it's final approach. The Humans were supposed to bail out just before final approach. The whole thing was basically a remote controlled bomb.

Something went wrong with the detonation system and it blew up in mid air before they could bail out. There was nothing to recover.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Seems like this could fit here too, whether true or not. This stuff is going to happen in the future. Armed drones bent on damaging people or property is a real threat.

Was SpaceX rocket hit by a drone? Shock claims Elon Musk’s Falcon 9 was 'attacked'

Commenting on the YouTube video, Scott Keller wrote: “One person said it was a bug. Someone else a bird.

“Hard to accept those two as explanations. Too fast and not close to the camera.”

Rantin Wraithy wrote: “That’s a big f****** bird. And round too. I didn’t think ostriches could fly.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... 9-attacked
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Pentagon is worrying about 'Terminator' coming true. Seriously.

At the same time, “The notion of a completely robotic system that can make a decision about whether or not to inflict harm on an adversary is here,” he added in remarks at the Center for Strategic and International Studies Monday. “It’s not terribly refined, not terribly good. But it’s here.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2 ... -Seriously.

— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-0 ... -new-ideas

Assuring users that the company’s entire team of engineers was working hard to make sure a glitch like this never happens again, Facebook executives confirmed during a press conference Tuesday that a horrible accident last night involving the website’s algorithm had resulted in thousands of users being exposed to new concepts.

“Unfortunately, late Monday evening, a major failure in our news feed program allowed a significant number of users to come into contact with concepts unfamiliar to them,” said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, appearing contrite as he emphasized to reporters that the issue had been resolved and that it was now safe to visit the social media site again without fear of encountering any opinions, notions, or perspectives not aligning with one’s existing worldview.

“To those who were forced to read a headline they did not agree with when they visited Facebook yesterday, we are deeply sorry. It’s an inexcusable failing on our part if your viewpoints were not reinforced by what you saw onscreen. I want all Facebook users to know that you’ll never again encounter any ideas on our site that are in any way novel or ideologically challenging to you—that’s my personal promise.”

Zuckerberg then concluded the press conference by thanking users for their support, assuring them that a news article confirming their own individual political and personal biases would be directed to their news feeds with more information on Facebook’s policy.
CHoff