A responce to CoolbruceLong

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I think the Tea Part was started as a response to the growing debt problem, however; their best judgements are not based on facts, and there is a very distinct racial component to their party.

I believe their judgements are skewed in that when polled, they believe spending cuts are the fix-all to the debt. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case. We over the last 12 years have dug ourselves such a hole that even conservative economists are stating we need increased revenue. We need to be able to meet our financial obligations while focusing on balancing our budget.

As for the racial component, I think it's obvious, but numbers tend to help in a scientific community.
79% are white, 61% are men
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_ ... mographics

We might want to ask ourselves why such a disparity.

Post by 93143 »

Racial disparity? 79% of Tea Partiers were white, versus 75% of respondents. Big whoop.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

93143 wrote:Racial disparity? 79% of Tea Partiers were white, versus 75% of respondents. Big whoop.
It's not a white world anymore....as a white man, I'm ok with that, but some aren't.

Post by 93143 »

Read my post again and see if you can wrap your head around the possibility that you brought up a red herring.

EDIT: Sorry; it wasn't 75% of respondents, but 75% of the general population. Which actually strengthens my argument...

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

So what you're saying is the Tea Party is speaking for most American's when they don't actually count most American's as their members? I don't know, the Obama as hitler and Obama depicted as an ape seemed awfully racist and/or insensitive. This doesn't speak for the Tea Party's elected officials, but how many public officials really speak their mind?

Post by 93143 »

I am not making a political comment. I am pointing out that your use of statistics is incorrect.

79% white vs. 75% white. Tea Party vs. general population in the poll scope. Not a large difference at all; certainly nothing to hang an accusation of racism on.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

93143 wrote:I am not making a political comment. I am pointing out that your use of statistics is incorrect.

79% white vs. 75% white. Tea Party vs. general population in the poll scope. Not a large difference at all; certainly nothing to hang an accusation of racism on.
The problem is not the percentage of white per se, it's the lack of % of other ethnic groups within the party. Those percentages do not at all match population make-up.

Post by 93143 »

Source for this assertion? The link doesn't support it, never mind the part you actually quoted.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

93143 wrote:Source for this assertion? The link doesn't support it, never mind the part you actually quoted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... ted_States

U.S. Population
Population/Percent
Black or African American alone: 38,929,319 : 12.6%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/127181/tea-p ... phics.aspx

Tea Party African American Population make-up:

12% (U.S. population) vs 6% (Tea Party population).

And then there's the following: http://mokellyreport.wordpress.com/2010 ... s-part-ii/

Specifically racial imagery such as:

Is this enough proof of the underlying racial component of the Tea Party or would you like me to link more?

Post by 93143 »

You have a funny standard of "proof". As your stats indicate, there are all kinds in the Tea Party, and with the way the United States is polarized, it would tend to attract that sort of thing anyway. Anecdotal evidence (which is all your photos are) proves basically nothing about the philosophical foundations of the movement, or about what the majority of adherents think.

You appear to be in the depths of confirmation bias. That is all I will say.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I don't think too many groups are interviewing the entire Tea party to ask. I put more merit on the elected officals of the "Party," but it's also up to them to set good examples and to stop such rhetoric. I can't remember too many speeches by Tea Party officials where they asked that party-goers remove said placards. My concerns are not with the debt movement on this issue, but on the indifference of so many at the actions of a few.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

ScottL wrote:I don't think too many groups are interviewing the entire Tea party to ask. I put more merit on the elected officals of the "Party," but it's also up to them to set good examples and to stop such rhetoric. I can't remember too many speeches by Tea Party officials where they asked that party-goers remove said placards. My concerns are not with the debt movement on this issue, but on the indifference of so many at the actions of a few.
How about commenting on the garbage that we have been taking from the left for decades before trying to find imaginary racism in the tea party:
http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The charges of racism against the tea party as a group are nothing more than an ad hominum attack to distract from arguments apparently beyond principled challenge. I don't see anyone on the left addressing the real issues.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Jccarlton wrote:
ScottL wrote:I don't think too many groups are interviewing the entire Tea party to ask. I put more merit on the elected officals of the "Party," but it's also up to them to set good examples and to stop such rhetoric. I can't remember too many speeches by Tea Party officials where they asked that party-goers remove said placards. My concerns are not with the debt movement on this issue, but on the indifference of so many at the actions of a few.
How about commenting on the garbage that we have been taking from the left for decades before trying to find imaginary racism in the tea party:
http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/
I don't see a political party nor elected official at these rallies in the pictures. How you equate the Tea Party to an Anti-War rally, is beyond me.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

hanelyp wrote:The charges of racism against the tea party as a group are nothing more than an ad hominum attack to distract from arguments apparently beyond principled challenge. I don't see anyone on the left addressing the real issues.
I don't see the Tea Party addressing the issues.... You can say cut spending, but knowing the reprecussions of such is another beast entirely. At this point in time we need a centrist method. Cutting to certain programs while increasing revenue. Even conservatives know this....IE: Margaret Thatcher 1981, increased taxes during recession which kick-started the UK economy again after failing spectacularly trying to lower taxes.