Models Suitable for Display

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

The short application of jeweler's rouge did have an effect on the grain height. Once I figure out how to remove the stain, I'll polish the whole surface.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

I've looked at the Shapeways forum (but stayed out of the General section!) and it looks like wet polishing is the way to go. The model I have is never going to the platonic ideal of crystallanity I imagined because I won't be able to get inside to smooth the inside edges and corners very well.

Though I have designed, this flat-bottomed and flat-sided shape:

Which would make the polishing easier, but would require non-trivial assembly. Polishing six of these to fit precisely together reminds me of a story about Werner von Braun.

One of his professors gave him a head-sized lump of iron and told him to produce a perfect cube. Von Braun ended up with a cube smaller than a fist. Imagine doing a similar thing with six of these shapes?

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Giorgio,

Cousin of yours?

We ate lunch there on our way home from visiting my in-laws. Good restaurant in an excellent location.

BTW, did your shop build the steel & titanium wiffleball for you?

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

No, is not a relative :D

I am just back from 3 month of China, I arrived home on the 25th evening.
The titanium wiffleball should be on my desk, waiting for my arrival since a couple of months.
I will be there on the 6th hopefully.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

And?

R. Peters