Best Idea I have heard in a long time.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Best Idea I have heard in a long time.

Post by Diogenes »

A nationwide effort is underway to call an Article V convention to consider the National Debt Relief Amendment -- a simple eighteen-word amendment designed to take power from the federal government and restore it to the states:

"An increase in the federal debt requires approval from a majority of the legislatures of the several States."

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... dment.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Unfortunately, a national convention opens the WHOLE constitution to revision and I am not sure I want to chance that.

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

"Two states, North Dakota and Louisiana, have already passed a resolution calling for an Article V convention limited to consideration of the one amendment only."
Perrin Ehlinger

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:Unfortunately, a national convention opens the WHOLE constitution to revision and I am not sure I want to chance that.
I agree with you on that. The Founders were geniuses who well understood human nature. Modern politicians are childish ego-driven fools who can't even understand the simple concept that you can't spend more than you make.

It would have to be restricted to only this one issue if possible.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scupperer wrote:"Two states, North Dakota and Louisiana, have already passed a resolution calling for an Article V convention limited to consideration of the one amendment only."

THAT'S the way to do it!
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

On a related subject I just saw an article at Ace of Spades HQ which makes the federal numbers even understandable to non political junkies.
Why S&P Downgraded the US:
U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
New debt: $1,650,000,000,000
National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
Recent [April] budget cut: $38,500,000,000

Let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:
Annual family income: $21,700
Money the family spent: $38,200
New debt (this year) on the credit card: $16,500
Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
Budget cuts: $385

http://minx.cc/?post=321689
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Unfortunately, a national convention opens the WHOLE constitution to revision and I am not sure I want to chance that.
I'm with you on that.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Uh. You know you can amend the Constitution without opening the whole thing to wholesale revision.

Too many statist on the right and left want to take a whack at the liberties we have left.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Re: Best Idea I have heard in a long time.

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:
A nationwide effort is underway to call an Article V convention to consider the National Debt Relief Amendment -- a simple eighteen-word amendment designed to take power from the federal government and restore it to the states:

"An increase in the federal debt requires approval from a majority of the legislatures of the several States."

There is an easier way. Restore the original purpose of the Senate: Representatives of the States.

Diogenes

Re: Best Idea I have heard in a long time.

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

There is an easier way. Restore the original purpose of the Senate: Representatives of the States.

That has been proposed as well. I have always regarded the 17th amendment as a mistake. Also the 14th was badly written, the 16th, the 18th, the 19th I am very suspicious of, the 20th was not so great, the 21rst wouldn't have been necessary if we hadn't passed the 18th, the 23rd sucked, the last four words of the 24th were a horrible mistake, and the 26th was very stupid.

Most amendments passed since the founders, sucked. The last one that was actually sensible was the 27th, and IT was created by the founders!

Either repealing the 17th, or adding this new one would seemingly solve the problem.
— Lord Melbourne —