Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Post by paperburn1 »

When I was in service we thought 1500 yards was manly and impressive as hell. (yards shows how long ago I was in :D ) These boys are setting whole new zones let alone just raising the bar.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

They have some pretty gucci tech supporting them now. The article I read on it implies back of the napkin crayon math, this is not so much the case anymore. In addition, rounds and powder tech has come a long way. What they have access to now was inconceivable 10 or 20 years ago. The Scopes alone are essentially science fiction.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The rifle used fires the Browning .50 cal, but it is not the Barrett. I think I need one of these. What a plinking rifle! Keep the tin can population under control.

McMillan TAC-50. At 26 pounds, this is no hunting rifle.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

A friend of mine has the civilian version of those scopes, gps enabled, video of the shot though the scopes eye. Has like 10 different parameters you input. Payed like 1500 for it. Still need BRASS to make it work though. Its billed for coyote hunting but I noticed the default setting for height of target was six feet.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch Blast SCOTUS for Refusing to Hear Major Second Amendment Case

"I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."

Today the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear a major case out of California that asked whether the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms includes the right to carry firearms in public. By refusing to get involved, the Court left in place a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit that denied constitutional recognition to the right to carry.

Writing in dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas, joined by Justice Neil Gorsuch, blasted the Court for its failure to act and for its "distressing trend" of treating "the Second Amendment as a disfavored right."

According to Thomas, "the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it." Thomas added, "even if other Members of the Court do not agree that the Second Amendment likely protects a right to public carry, the time has come for the Court to answer this important question definitively."

Thomas offered a sharply worded case for why the Court should have taken up the question. Federal circuits, he pointed out, have reached different conclusions and are therefore irrevocably split on this pressing constitutional matter. "This Court has already suggested that the Second Amendment protects the right to carry firearms in public in some fashion. As we explained in Heller, to 'bear arms' means to 'wear, bear, or carry upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.'" As Thomas observed, "I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."

Today's case, known as Peruta v. California, centered on a state law that says that conceal-carry permits will only be issued to those persons who have demonstrated to the satisfaction of their local county sheriff that they have a "good cause" for carrying a concealed firearm in public. What counts as a "good cause?" In the words of one San Diego official, "one's personal safety is not considered good cause" in and of itself.

What this means in practice, as one earlier court ruling observed, is that "in California the only way that the typical responsible, law-abiding citizen can carry a weapon in public for the lawful purpose of self-defense is with a concealed-carry permit. And, in San Diego County, that option has been taken off the table."

Despite the strenuous protest of Justice Thomas and Justice Gorsuch, that option remains off the table thanks to the Supreme Court's inaction today.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/26/clare ... econd-amen

This is why elections matter; I hope Justice Kennedy makes good on the retirement rumors.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Nominating Thomas is about the only good thing the HW Administration ever did.

Gorsuch is looking decent so far. Getting rid of Kennedy will help, but things will really be improved when we get rid of the other kooks on the court.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Ginsburg looks like a walking corpse ...
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

hanelyp wrote:Ginsburg looks like a walking corpse ...

I'm seeing rumors that she is going to resign. Same thing with Kennedy.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Diogenes wrote: I'm seeing rumors that she is going to resign. Same thing with Kennedy.
After trump was elected Ruth Ginsburg said the only way she was going to leave the supreme court was feet first.
It is my opinion they are holding out to 2018 elections in hope for a change of majority

williatw

Post by williatw »

paperburn1 wrote:After trump was elected Ruth Ginsburg said the only way she was going to leave the supreme court was feet first.
It is my opinion they are holding out to 2018 elections in hope for a change of majority
Agreed. This is why as I like to say elections matter. Hoping Trump at the very least manages to make his 120 + lower federal court judicial appointments from his list of conservative candidates before the 2018 midterms. If he doesn't get to replace Kennedy (or Ginsburg) before then too bad we will have to suck it up and hope the Senate doesn't flip or if so not by much. I don't consider myself to be a conservative more of a libertarian (or maybe conservative democrat). I do believe in the supremacy of the Constitution and further more that judges shouldn't be in the business of making laws; you want to make laws run for the legislature not the bench. The idea of the Constitution as a "living document" whose meaning is to be "understood" to be whatever some jurist thinks serves their idea of the public interest is odious to me. It seems however in the present day for whatever reason that in the case of judicial appointments the only judges who agree with my position seem to be predominately conservative ones.

williatw

Post by williatw »

More results from "Sane, sober, sensible" gun controls laws from up North:

Canadian Man Charged with Attempted Murder After Wrestling Away Gun, Shooting Suspect

Kyle Earl Munroe was arrested and “charged with attempted murder and a raft of firearms offences after helping fend off [the] home invaders, one of whom he’s now charged with shooting.”

A man in Halifax, Nova Scotia, faces numerous charges—including attempted murder—after wrestling a gun away from a home invasion suspect and shooting him with it. The incident was reported by the Chronicle Herald on July 25, and John Lott tweeted about the incident on July 31:

Canadian man takes gun from home invaders & shoots them; he is charged w attempted murder & 9 other firearms chargeshttps://t.co/9zeWj7UwK2

— John R Lott Jr. (@JohnRLottJr) July 31, 2017

According to the Herald, “Three men entered the residence with guns and a struggle took place with two men inside.” The two men inside the home managed to take away one of the guns and “several shots were fired as the suspects fled.” One of the suspects was shot and suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Kyle Earl Munroe was arrested and “charged with attempted murder and a raft of firearms offences after helping fend off [the] home invaders, one of whom he’s now charged with shooting.”

The precise charges he faces are “attempted murder, intent to discharge a firearm, intent to discharge a firearm when being reckless, careless use of a firearm, improper storage of a firearm, pointing a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing that possession is unauthorized, and possession for the purpose of trafficking.”

Public Prosecution Service spokeswoman Chris Hansen stresses, “Right now they’re just pending charges,” but the point is still clear. Namely, that sitting quietly while governments pass more and more gun control is a recipe for disaster, as far as freedom is concerned. Seemingly benign laws like gun storage requirements and trigger lock requirements and more aggressive controls like firearm registration rules and magazine bans all portend a situation where a law-aiding citizen in the U.S. uses a gun in self-defense only to face prosecution for failing to jump through the proper bureaucratic hoops beforehand.

Gun controls—regardless of how seemingly minuscule in the bigger picture—pile upon each other and empower criminals while tying the hands of would-be victims.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ed-murder/
Last edited by williatw on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

williatw wrote:More results from Sane, sober, sensible gun controls laws from up North:

Canadian Man Charged with Attempted Murder After Wrestling Away Gun, Shooting Suspect

- did you forget quotes around "Sane, sober, sensible"?

- Trial by jury would help ... if the citizens aren't overly infected with leftoid nonsense. Independently thinking jurors can consider not just law and fact, but whether the charges make sense.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Post by williatw »

hanelyp wrote:- did you forget quotes around "Sane, sober, sensible"?
Yes I did...fixed.
hanelyp wrote:- Trial by jury would help ... if the citizens aren't overly infected with leftoid nonsense. Independently thinking jurors can consider not just law and fact, but whether the charges make sense.
Not sure I would hold out too much hope for that...the sheep have been well programed. I guess their "argument" would be that overall their (Canada's) system produces less homicides per year than those barbarian Americans get so with all due respect to the unfortunate case posted above, you have to look at the "big picture". His best hope would be that if the case gets enough publicity that the authorities will "reexamine" the facts and decide to drop the charges (or maybe just some of them like "attempted murder" if he is lucky). Most likely even if he is somehow acquitted he is looking at probably years of ruinously expensive legal fees; his life destroyed. Probably he will end up wishing he had just submitted to being another victim. Which is frankly the intended effect of prosecuting him; making an "example" of him so others aren't inspired to imitate his misplaced "heroics".

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:Nominating Thomas is about the only good thing the HW Administration ever did.

Gorsuch is looking decent so far. Getting rid of Kennedy will help, but things will really be improved when we get rid of the other kooks on the court.
Thomas' dissent in Raich was a masterpiece. Wickard is an abomination.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

Yes, the left is in charge in Canada, and they've completely lost their minds. A guy was convicted of rape when the woman gave enthusiastic and affirmative consent at every stage. The Judge decided the guy should have realized she didn't actually mean it. Another guy got convicted for giving one single extra thrust after the woman said stop. There are even worse examples, but the most fun thing about Canadian law is, you can get tried for the same crime repeatedly until the prosecutor gets the guilty verdict he wants. Judges who don't go with the new regime can wind up in diversity courses getting reprogrammed until they either go along or are canned.
CHoff