Satanic Substances Hijack People's Souls

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

palladin9479 wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
palladin9479 wrote:Simon is as much as "druggy" as myself. Considering my job requires that we do not use any prohibited substances, and they do regular screenings, it's a safe bet that I'm not a user of illegal drugs. As for the drugs of the legal variety, I'm known to use Methylcarbinol most weekends.

Simon wants the same thing as me, to not have people making personal decisions for me. No matter how good the cause, you can not go around making decisions "for peoples own good", that leads down a dark dark road that Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Kim Il Sung and many others have walked. It opens up too many doors that should be closed and paves the way for an authoritarian state where the people work for the state, rather then the state working for the people.

It may be stupid and counter productive for someone to destroy their life, ultimately it's their choice for good or bad.
It is the illusion that drug usage only affects the person who engages in it that is the center of the fallacious libertarian thinking on this issue. The one real world experiment where their theory was actually put into practice on a nationwide scale and for a very long duration was an absolute horror.

Why is it so difficult for Libertarians to meet face to face with reality? China was invaded by a much smaller country because it was pathetically weak. It was pathetically weak because half of it's adult male population was on opium, and they simply couldn't produce the economic activity necessary to make themselves into a nation capable of defending itself.

Mao was likely a direct consequence of the internal collapse of China's economic capabilities, and that collapse was caused by legal drugs.
Spoken like a true Marxist.

Under your logic, the butterfly that flapped it's wings in the USA that then resulted in the hurricane in Asia, should be killed. Kill all the butterfly's so that they can not flap and thus not create hurricanes.

Your breathing is effecting my life in a perceived negative way, thus you should be made to stop breathing.

Why do you hate the butterfly's so much, why are you still breathing.

I perceive that I am wasting both our time should I respond further.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Diogenes wrote:
Betruger wrote:
GIThruster wrote:moral morons.
I'm not reading your posts for a while. Good luck with the argument.

I am developing that inclination for a lots of posters on this forum.
There's good-natured or otherwise information-oriented, omnivorous dialog... And then there's self-serving bombast and the masochism required to put up with such a sorry excuse for dialog. No wonder NasaSpaceFlight banned him.

People like TomClarke have this cornucopian amount of patience to deal with guys/conversations like that, unheedingly working only the salient points... I dunno how they do it.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

Hard figures:
http://www.ehow.com/about_6622648_corre ... g-use.html
of course, this doesn't account for the fact that drugs are criminal, and criminal activity will lead to violence

PCP blamed for homicide rate
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-96127729.html

Looking at this, it seems th vast majority of aresstees are not on drugs, but the figures aren't the ones we would need to decide if a substance makes people neglect social mores - this is whether those neglecting social mores are using substances.
http://www.whitehouse.gov//sites/defaul ... rected.pdf
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

here we have a number of collected studies, including correlates for various substances and family violence.
http://archives.drugabuse.gov/pdf/monographs/103.pdf
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

williatw

Post by williatw »

Is Legalizing Weed Obama's Secret Weapon?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics ... pon/53504/#

This ought to delight msimon, and of course get Obama in solid with Diogenes.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:Is Legalizing Weed Obama's Secret Weapon?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics ... pon/53504/#

This ought to delight msimon, and of course get Obama in solid with Diogenes.
MSimon makes one good point about Marijuana. It's a lot safer than alcohol. Of course he draws the wrong lessons from this information.
(that because it's not as bad, it too should be legal.)

Marijuana makes people lazy. They have trouble taking care of their responsibilities when they smoke that stuff. Admittedly, among the cornucopia of drugs, Marijuana is one of the least damaging or dangerous to society. It turns people into lazy bums, but other than that? It doesn't have much going against it.

I don't regard it as nearly the threat that is meth or crack. Those people actually become insane, and they will do insane things.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Diogenes wrote:Marijuana makes people lazy. They have trouble taking care of their responsibilities when they smoke that stuff. Admittedly, among the cornucopia of drugs, Marijuana is one of the least damaging or dangerous to society. It turns people into lazy bums, but other than that? It doesn't have much going against it.
I'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't have wide enough data to say for sure, but on what do you base the fact that marijuana makes people lazy? My experience is that quite a lot of people are lazy, whether they smoke weed or not, and most of the folks I know that smoke weed are actually quite industrious. There are some lazy bum weed smokers that I've met as well, but they are far from the majority in my experience.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

". . .but on what do you base the fact that marijuana makes people lazy?"

That's too stupid a question to answer.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Diogenes wrote:Marijuana ... turns people into lazy bums...
I'm thinking that to the incumbent occupier of the white house that would be a feature, not a bug.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

hanelyp wrote:
I'm thinking that to the incumbent occupier of the white house that would be a feature, not a bug.
He always seemed kind of work-adverse to me. Plays a lot of golf. Had to be pulled off the golf course for the Bin Laden raid. Goes on a lot of vacations. And doesn't do enough work getting his stuff through congress. Doesn't bother talking regularly with his Generals or the majority of advisors in his cabinet. Gets a hidden ghostwriter to finish his book (unsubstantiated, but I think likely). Never wrote anything as the Harvard Law Review editor. Depends heavily on speech writers and teleprompter. Etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all goodness. The less done, the better.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

krenshala wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Marijuana makes people lazy. They have trouble taking care of their responsibilities when they smoke that stuff. Admittedly, among the cornucopia of drugs, Marijuana is one of the least damaging or dangerous to society. It turns people into lazy bums, but other than that? It doesn't have much going against it.
I'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't have wide enough data to say for sure, but on what do you base the fact that marijuana makes people lazy? My experience is that quite a lot of people are lazy, whether they smoke weed or not, and most of the folks I know that smoke weed are actually quite industrious. There are some lazy bum weed smokers that I've met as well, but they are far from the majority in my experience.

I would suggest that those who are industrious have overcame the most common difficulty with pot smoking. My experience is different. All of the people I've met who smoke pot regularly are lazy bums. They sit around stewing in their crapulence, and let the world pass them by. Some of them have money coming in from disability and pensions and such, but some have to bum and mooch everything they can find.

I've suggested in the past that a licensing system would separate the people who can handle things responsibly from those who cannot.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

hanelyp wrote:
He's already a lazy bum. As a matter of fact, he is proof of what I'm talking about. His "Choom gang" lifestyle has never accomplished anything except a bunch of jive talking. Fools believe him, but anyone with sense knows he's all mouth and no do.

This seems as good a place as any to post this:

— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

JoeP wrote:
hanelyp wrote:
He always seemed kind of work-adverse to me. Plays a lot of golf. Had to be pulled off the golf course for the Bin Laden raid. Goes on a lot of vacations. And doesn't do enough work getting his stuff through congress. Doesn't bother talking regularly with his Generals or the majority of advisors in his cabinet. Gets a hidden ghostwriter to finish his book (unsubstantiated, but I think likely). Never wrote anything as the Harvard Law Review editor. Depends heavily on speech writers and teleprompter. Etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all goodness. The less done, the better.
Amen.
— Lord Melbourne —