Microwave Oven hype

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Microwave Oven hype

Post by ladajo »

My favorite bit...
Radiation, as defined by physics terminology, is "the electromagnetic waves emitted by the atoms and molecules of a radioactive substance as a result of nuclear decay." Radiation causes ionization, which is what occurs when a neutral atom gains or loses electrons. In simpler terms, a microwave oven decays and changes the molecular structure of the food by the process of radiation. Had the manufacturers accurately called them "radiation ovens", it's doubtful they would have ever sold one, but that's exactly what a microwave oven is.
http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html

Worth a read for a giggle.
The Nazi bit was funny as well. I am sure the Brits took some umbrage...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I hope these bozos get sued!

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I've heard some concerns about how microwaves change protein structures and such, but there's so much crap in there it's hard to take them seriously. Microwaves from a magnetron different than from the sun? Should have talked to an engineer before writing that part.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You have to admit that it is simultaneously comical and shocking.

The worst part is when you think on how many folks go hook, line and sinker when they read it.

STEM...a small hope...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

Yes, been trying to fight the stupid elsewhere. It is like trying to grab a 4 foot water balloon, though - you may get a hold on one part, but the stupid just oozes out somewhere else.

This is the result of the vast majority of schools not teaching critical thinking or scientific research skills.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

No offense but I think y'all are over-reacting. This is an advertisement. These people sell health supplements. If you want to object, object that people can cut their lawns, stuff the clippings into pills and write whatever copy they like to sell that to others. There are hundreds of active scams like this operating all the time. This one is no different simply because it's asserting that man-made microwaves are somehow different than sun-made microwaves.

Anyone remember the "coral calcium" craze from just a few years ago? All that coral ripped up, crushed and sold as supplements simply to line the pockets of con artists, as if it matters where your calcium comes from. . .
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

But this is the point. Where is the accountability for people like this.
They can freely use mass media to pitch whatever lies they want for their own gain.

Folks also do not get that they are doing it, and take it as truth and then push it on to others as a reference.

Foe example, my wife was told about this site posting by her friends. They are considering throwing away their microwaves. No joke. She asked me about it. I took a look, and quickly determined it was a pile of crap. (Little or no thought required). They clearly are pushing their own stuff and made up this fantasy of lies, unfounded facts, and misdirection to support it.

I am not about a nanny state. But, there should be some means to hold idiots like this accountable. As well as a means to prevent them from being able to take avantage of folks before they can. I think improving general education will help attack the foundations that folks like this stand on.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I agree except that I think regulation is the wrong way to deal with scams. We need to find ways to incarcerate people who do stuff like this but most of them will never be touched by the law.

My mother has been on half a dozen whacko nutrition reading lists for decades. She believes she is better educated than most nutritionists because of these weekly advertisements she reads. I have a close friend who believes raw food is better for her so she won't eat cooked food or pasteurized milk. She has a Masters degree, so she's not especially stupid. I know an educator who won't allow his kids to be immunized because his wife is an alt-med person who believes the bullshit people write about immunizations. Many people join the alt-nutrition, alt-health, alt-med scene simply because that's their emotional constitution--they're habitually contrary. My friend with the masters doesn't ever follow direction unless she has to. She always does what others would commonly avoid.

You can't regulate away, educate away, or otherwise protect people from the consequences of what it is to be human.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

As a comedian once said, and I'm paraphrasing, anyone can call them-self a nutritionist. Dietitian is the professional title. It's like someone calling them-self a toothiologist instead of a dentist.
Carter

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

WizWom wrote:Yes, been trying to fight the stupid elsewhere. It is like trying to grab a 4 foot water balloon, though - you may get a hold on one part, but the stupid just oozes out somewhere else.

This is the result of the vast majority of schools not teaching critical thinking or scientific research skills.
Parents. Critical thinking should first of all (even though not only) come from from parenting. Scientific research skills follow on their own, if the critical thinking foundations are laid right. Science is only thoroughly formalized common sense.

ladajo wrote:But, there should be some means to hold idiots like this accountable. As well as a means to prevent them from being able to take avantage of folks before they can. I think improving general education will help attack the foundations that folks like this stand on.
A more discriminating (informed) consumer audience. IOW more savvy culture. Like politics, it starts best from grass roots. IE people like you boiling down the facts to intuitive brass tacks. A microwave oven isn't a freaking omniradiant death ray.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think that it should be in their right to promote these things but in return it should be in my right to call them liers and their followers idiots. Deal?

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

Incarceration?
Regulation?

What, are you both crazy?

Just teach people to look stuff up - even Snopes gets this right!
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I think incarceration is the best choice in those instances where serious harm has been done, especially for personal gain.

I know one person who was using a body-building supplement that contained an unregistered drug. Turned out it made him feel better, but one of the withdrawal symptoms was psychosis--made him nuts. He wasn't able to sue because the FDA had closed them down so there were no remedies.

Yeah, criminal negligence is a crime. That's why they call it that. Much of the alt-med and alt-nutrician cultures are criminally negligent and most states allow anyone to hang out a shingle so long as they avoid using very specific terms, such as "nutritionist" instead of "dietician".

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

kunkmiester wrote:I've heard some concerns about how microwaves change protein structures and such, but there's so much crap in there it's hard to take them seriously. Microwaves from a magnetron different than from the sun? Should have talked to an engineer before writing that part.
Heat changes protein structre, molecular bonds, blah blah blah...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

WizWom wrote:Incarceration?
Regulation?

What, are you both crazy?

Just teach people to look stuff up - even Snopes gets this right!
A person should not be allowed to lie to the masses. Especially with the explicit purposes to prey upon them. Letting crap like this go is what further degrades society as a whole. It is a progressive cancer.

Another example is the recent trend of labeling simple headphones as "noise blocking devices". This targets the stupid who are seeking "cheaper" "active noise cancelling" devices. And yet another is the entire HDMI cable market. I saw somethign recently where some company is selling (as I recall) "Diamond High Performance" HDMI cables for something like $2000 a pop. That blows the $50 silliness out of the water. And idiots buy them.

Grrrrr.

Education.