For What Are You Willing To Be A Slave?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

WizWom wrote:I am an independent person, I believe in personal liberty, minimal government and personal responsibility.

Being on Disability, which I have drawn out about what I paid in after only 5 years, I feel frustrated. If I didn't have the disability, I'd be homeless again, which is not fun.

I can claim all I want about how libertarian I am, but when push came to shove, I took advantage of the system in place.
Of course, I'm not sitting around on disability, I'm going to college, getting a new skill which might let me work, and have even been accepted into grad school. But that, too, is through a government program.

Would my life end if Disability and vocational training programs were cancelled? Nope.

So, really, I would love to see both cancelled, with some sort of direct service to take care of those who want food and housing: but giving them no opportunity for personal dignity while sponging off the rest of us. My apartment is $365 a month; even a crappy job could cover it. Other people should not be paying for me to have a life with dignity.

The Community has an obligation to support it's own when they are hurt and cannot survive without help. It is not the Feds responsibility, but it *IS* a legitimate responsibility for the people of a state.

Even though you should not feel bad, it is a testament to your character that you do. It means you understand and appreciate the efforts of others, and you would not trouble them but for the unsought hardship you are now enduring through no fault of your own.

Be of good cheer. I'm the arch conservative ogre around here, and I see nothing of which you should be ashamed. I wish you all success in your efforts to develop a new skill.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —