Ahh secularism...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Of course the satanists would love for people to be addicts. Addition is the best way to enslave people. All you have to do is somehow widthhold the drug from them, e.g. by increasing the price on the free market through a stupid pointless war, or with some excuse and you can make them do whatever you want (e.g. fight another stupid pointless war for you).
In a way it is already working quite well with our addiction to oil.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

D,

Please explain why in America with opium legal use didn't explode?

I don't recall your response to that question.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And you might also wish to explain why drug use declined in Portugal after they legalized use. Isn't that the opposite of what is SUPPOSED to happen?

But I'm fine with drug prohibition - for now. Making war on our children is the best recruiting tool libertarians have. Your support for the libertarians is greatly appreciated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wire ... n-america/

As I said you are defeating yourself.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Of course the satanists would love for people to be addicts. Addition is the best way to enslave people.
Well we are all addicted to food and air. Are satanists planning to control the food and air supply?

Addiction is only a problem if prices are high. And what keeps the prices high? Prohibition.

Let me run it by you again.

Let us suppose pot costs on the order of hot house tomatoes. Let me make it on the high side. $20 a pound. You know - the high quality stuff. That $20 would be at least a years supply for most (90%) of users. Lets say the heavy users are at 6X as much. $120 a year. That is $10 a month. 30 cents a day for the heaviest possible users. For the vast majority 5 cents a day.

So are you going to tell me that you can make slaves of people for 30 cents a day? How?

Say opiates were 10X as expensive. You are going to make slaves of people for $3 a day? Under $100 a month? Where are you going to get such cheap slaves in America?

It amazes me how drugs can make people so stupid.

williatw

Post by williatw »

MSimon wrote:
Of course the satanists would love for people to be addicts. Addition is the best way to enslave people.
Well we are all addicted to food and air. Are satanists planning to control the food and air supply?

Addiction is only a problem if prices are high. And what keeps the prices high? Prohibition.

Let us suppose pot costs on the order of hot house tomatoes. Let me make it on the high side. $20 a pound. You know - the high quality stuff. That $20 would be at least a years supply for most (90%) of users. Lets say the heavy users are at 6X as much. $120 a year. That is $10 a month. 30 cents a day for the heaviest possible users. For the vast majority 5 cents a day.

So are you going to tell me that you can make slaves of people for 30 cents a day? How?

Say opiates were 10X as expensive. You are going to make slaves of people for $3 a day? Under $100 a month? Where are you going to get such cheap slaves in America?

Father died of esophageal cancer back in '05. After awhile he got too ill to tolerate the chemo, no appetite. Wonder if medical marijuana had been legal in ohio, even if he was taking it in pill form whether it would have helped him? Helped restore his appetite, tolerate the chemo nausea better. His was unfortunately discovered in late stage 3, probably wouldn't have helped much but I do wonder. I have early state glaucoma(he had that too), currently on Travatan seems to be working for me according to the doctor, but wonder about long term side effects. Wouldn't dare try pot, would get drug tested and then sh&% canned. Even if it was legal in Ohio, likely employers wouldn't like it, they would just fire you for some other reason.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

And you might also wish to explain why drug use declined in Portugal after they legalized use.
Oh, Simon, the myth of the legalized drug use in Portugal, again. How many times will you put that one out and how many times will I have to correct you on that? There is no legalized drug use in Portugal!!!
Further it is not true that drug abuse in Portugal has decline. In fact, it increased:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal
[15]
Reduction in drug related deaths, although this reduction has decreased in later years, and the number of drug related deaths is now almost on the same level as before the Drug strategy was implemented.[8][15] However, this may be accounted for by improvement in measurement practices, which includes a doubling of toxicological autopsies now being performed, meaning that more drugs related deaths are likely to be recorded.[16]
Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[15] It has been proposed that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[16] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [16][17]while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[18][19]

williatw

Post by williatw »

Skipjack wrote:
And you might also wish to explain why drug use declined in Portugal after they legalized use.
Oh, Simon, the myth of the legalized drug use in Portugal, again. How many times will you put that one out and how many times will I have to correct you on that? There is no legalized drug use in Portugal!!!
Further it is not true that drug abuse in Portugal has decline. In fact, it increased:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal
Yes it is decriminalized (possession) not technically legal. They prefer to treat substance abuse like an illness, not a crime..which seems logical enough to me. Your own links says that some think the observed increase is just more accurate reporting, people being more likely to admit usage. I would expect more increased usage by current users, it being cheaper/incarceration risk less. Probably more experimentation by people who have never tried it(as the data in the link suggests). I would go with the jury is still out so far, inconclusive accept for the cost of criminalizing it is greatly reduced. Of course if legalizing/or decriminalizing fails I am sure there is no shortage of jackbooted body armor wearing thugs only too happy to pull you over or kick your door down in the dead of night to save you from yourself(and make a few bucks from forfeiture of assets).

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack,

OK. I get your point. A police state can cut drug use in half.

Heil - say what was that guys name again? Rumor has it he was an Austrian so maybe you know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack since you seem to have missed it to go off on some minor issue on semantics and statistics:

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yes it is decriminalized (possession) not technically legal. They prefer to treat substance abuse like an illness, not a crime..which seems logical enough to me. Your own links says that some think the observed increase is just more accurate reporting, people being more likely to admit usage. I would expect more increased usage by current users, it being cheaper/incarceration risk less. Probably more experimentation by people who have never tried it(as the data in the link suggests). I would go with the jury is still out so far, inconclusive accept for the cost of criminalizing it is greatly reduced. Of course if legalizing/or decriminalizing fails I am sure there is no shortage of jackbooted body armor wearing thugs only too happy to pull you over or kick your door down in the dead of night to save you from yourself(and make a few bucks from forfeiture of assets).
There is a huge difference between decriminalization and legalization. Addicts still are required by law to get counceling and treatment. The sale is still illegal and the max amount you can possess is limited. It is a far shot from legalization as Msimon claims!
I have explained that to Msimon several times and he still makes the same claims all the time (I guess he is assuming that nobody goes and checks it up).
They are not sure whether the increase is just higher reporting numbers, or not. In any case it is NOT a decrease that Msimon claimed.
However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal

And I was NOT saying that the Portugese model is that bad. I actually am for the decriminalization of the addicts.
I am however against missrepresentation of facts!
Since when do we have a prohibition on oil? It seems to me like prices are higher than ever.

Opium does not grow everywhere and heroin is not that easy to make. People will still need suppliers.
Tobacco is comparably easy to grow and it is comparably easy to make a cigarette from it. Yet nobody is doing it, despite much increased prices ( you pay 4 USD or so for a pack of cigarettes now?).
Under $100 a month? Where are you going to get such cheap slaves in America?
And that from someone whining about "slavery" over 50 USD a month for health insurance...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Since when do we have a prohibition on oil? It seems to me like prices are higher than ever.
There are all kinds of restrictions in the American Market for oil exploration. The reason most often given is that exploration and exploitation will have no immediate effect so why bother?

And perhaps you have forgotten that there is an oil CARTEL. Designed to control prices.

Fortunately the Israelis may be coming to our rescue.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/ ... _qUNPUTBs4

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Under $100 a month? Where are you going to get such cheap slaves in America?
And that from someone whining about "slavery" over 50 USD a month for health insurance...
I differentiate slavery by choice (a job say) and slavery at the point of a gun. I'm kind of funny that way. I like resisting when the guns are pointed my way. It is an American thing. At least some Americans. I'm kinda like this one.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom—go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
But many are not like that.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I differentiate slavery by choice (a job say) and slavery at the point of a gun. I'm kind of funny that way. I like resisting when the guns are pointed my way. It is an American thing. At least some Americans. I'm kinda like this one.
Yeah, you are completely ignoring the fact that the whole health insurance thing is currently not really enforceable anyway (the IRS has no jurisdiction).

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Opium does not grow everywhere and heroin is not that easy to make.
Indoor grow ops could solve that. Which is why I posited opium costs per year at 10X the maximum pot rate. Heroin not that easy to make? Really? No harder than cooking meth.

Look at the actual American experience. Opium was not much of a problem until it became illegal.

Note - with the recent rise in tobacco taxes expect grow your own to become a factor in the market in 12 to 24 months. As with alcohol prohibition these things take a while to tool up.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
Yeah, you are completely ignoring the fact that the whole health insurance thing is currently not really enforceable anyway (the IRS has no jurisdiction).
On individuals. But much of the rest of the system is under the gun. I don't like seeing ANYONE under the gun. It is a Republican thing with roots in the 1860 to '65 unpleasantness.