Hollywood caves in to China

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Hollywood caves in to China

Post by DeltaV »

China’s Grip on Hollywood
The movie studio behind the Red Dawn remake switched the film’s antagonists from Chinese to North Korean to make nice with the Chinese government and audience.
In a remake of the cult classic Red Dawn, Chinese invaders targeting the United States were digitally turned into North Koreans.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I've only seen about 5 minutes of the original--not that it was bad but I just never had the opportunity to watch the whole thing. Still, I can tell you in the original, the "Red" enemy is Soviet, not Chinese. It was after all made during the cold war, and any remake ought to replace the antagonist with a current one.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

GIThruster wrote:I've only seen about 5 minutes of the original--not that it was bad but I just never had the opportunity to watch the whole thing. Still, I can tell you in the original, the "Red" enemy is Soviet, not Chinese. It was after all made during the cold war, and any remake ought to replace the antagonist with a current one.
The remake was to use the Chinese as the antagonist.
Vae Victis

choff

Post by choff »

The N. Korean army is buying animal feed from China for it's soldiers, who are deserting to forage for food. Bit of a stretch for them to invade the American Midwest, only Hollyweird could dream that up.
CHoff

cgray45

Post by cgray45 »

Bit of a stretch for China, as well, because I think they may be able to manage a Battalion level opposed landing. Their largest ship can just about manage a battalion, but it's no where near as good as our Tarawa's let alone what we have now.

Essentially, if you're assuming magic pixie dust lets people invade the US, you might as well use a bad guy that well, everybody can agree to hate.

My biggest problem with the idea of NK as the invading force, is I can see them invading-- then bemused American traffic cops wondering what to do about the traffic jam of tanks by the local McDonalds.
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I thought that the old Red Dawn movie was already pretty silly. The new one is going to be even more ridiculous. An invasion of the US is bound to be as successful as an invasion of Russia... Neither side has a large enough army to keep an occupation going. The countries are just to big and especially in the US, everyone is armed. NK would not get anywhere at all. They dont have enough of anything to even attempt something like that.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

choff wrote:The N. Korean army is buying animal feed from China for it's soldiers, who are deserting to forage for food. Bit of a stretch for them to invade the American Midwest, only Hollyweird could dream that up.

Agreed. The Scenario is completely nonsensical. From my viewing of the trailer, they supposedly have a secret weapon that kills all American Electronic devices, so our planes and other military equipment won't work.

Not even then.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:I thought that the old Red Dawn movie was already pretty silly. The new one is going to be even more ridiculous. An invasion of the US is bound to be as successful as an invasion of Russia... Neither side has a large enough army to keep an occupation going. The countries are just to big and especially in the US, everyone is armed. NK would not get anywhere at all. They dont have enough of anything to even attempt something like that.

http://www.ncgunblog.com/2012/08/18/hea ... bit-video/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Not even then.
Agreed. Occupation of the US is pretty much impossible. They might be able to occupy a couple of cities for a while, even storm the white house and take some leaders as hostages, but even a modern army like the US army cant occupy a country like the US. Just look at the difficulties with a geographically comparably simple country like Iraq, or the slightly more difficult Afghanistan. A permanent occupation would simply not be possible. Maybe, maybe if they managed to conquer all the nuclear silos and replace the fried electronics in them, then retargeting them at US cities. Maybe then. But then resistance would be very different from the original movie, Red Dawn and the consequences might be much more difficult. Of course the rest of the world would simply answer by nuking the shit out of NK leaving the occupiers in the US without leadership and a home, causing the operation to fall apart.
I think the the movie is going to tank. Reda Dawn worked because it was the right movie for the time with the cold war at its high and everyone in the US just ready to "kick the shit out of them red basterds".
Today NK is just an oddity, an anachronism, a curiosity and occasional hate target, but not a real big threat and certainly not on peoples minds all the time, especially with the economy like it is (they have other problems).
China could be a bigger threat if they had any real interest in starting a war with the US. If China starts trading oil in yuan instead of USD, the US would have more economic reason to start a war with China, than the other way round...
So again, no credible scenario there.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

Well, frankly the original Red Dawn was pretty silly as well. At no point was the Soviet Union capable of air dropping an entire army into the American midwest, nor was the U.S. capable of air dropping an entire army into Siberia or the Moscow area.

Invasions across the Bering Strait, into Alaska or Siberia, including some air drops, yeah sure. Some small teams being flown over the north pole to drop in and take out old Cold War listening bases/early warning systems like the DEW in Alaska and northern Canada, yeah ok. A full sized Soviet army showing up somewhere near the Mississippi in the mid-80s... no.

But it was still a fun movie, so long as you didn't try to take it seriously.

classicpenny

EMP

Post by classicpenny »

It's annoying to see Hollywood waste money on such foolishness when a few minor changes could make the foolishness into a solid and believable movie with an important message.

The NK "secret weapon " seems to be an EMP device. Crippling all of North. America with 3 or 4 EMP nucs exploded over NA in space is simple proven technology that NK or Iran might possibly be able to execute even as this is written.

The foolishness parts are the invasion and "stealing the secret weapon back"

NK or Iran would never invade, they only want us out of the planetary economic equation. Piece of cake for existing and known EMP technology.

How on Earth could a platoon of marine-inspired kids steal such a thing? Once the EMP bombs go off, the horse is out of the barn. Retaliation would be the very least of our problems. Rebuilding our shattered economy before we all starve,- THAT'S THE PROBLEM.that would need solving soonest.

See "One Second After" by William Forstchen. This book would make a far more scary and credible movie.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Neither country has missiles that could get a device in place to hit Colorado, nor a device powerful enough that will fit on those missiles at those times.

The military at least would cause them trouble, since the equipment is protected against EMP. And I think a lot of people would be surprised at what all civilian stuff would survive. They're not well designed to absorb EMPs, except for stuff connected to power lines at the time maybe.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

choff

Post by choff »

I recall back when Bussard's google talk first came out, joking that if the N. Koreans & Iranians developed a working polywell before the U.S., then they could use trans-atmospheric troop transports to deliver Republican Guardsmen on the Whitehouse lawn.
The idea was to scare enough politicians into an arms race to get the polywell first, maybe if Hollyweird included polywell tech in the new Red Dawn movie it might actually work, at least raise awareness.
CHoff

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well, frankly the original Red Dawn was pretty silly as well.
Yepp, as I said it was. It was still successful because it hit a nerve back then.

cgray45

Post by cgray45 »

There may be another erason they changed-- back in the 1980's, few people had contact with Russians, even more so for Chinese. Today, Chinese visitors, tourists and Chinese-American citizens are very common, and it gets hard to present the idea of them as some faceless invader. NK is cut off, likes to make threats and really not many people have ever met a North Korea citizen, it its an easier sell.
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.