Does Anybody Argue That Drug Use Isn't Bad For You

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

Does Anybody Argue That Drug Use Isn't Bad For You

Post by Jccarlton »

whatever your point of view on drug prohibition, you have to admit the downsides of drug abuse:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2EaVoZTdv
On the other hand hand I have to ask myself how much is this damage because of the methamphetimenes and how much because the drug was made in uncontrolled conditions with poisons and no dosage control. Also, in the end you can't, as much as you want to, save peopel from themselves.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"'Everyone experiments at college or school and I want From Drugs to Mugs to show kids that everyone in those pictures started on cannabis, they didn't just dive head first into heroin."
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

choff

Post by choff »

The pictures sort of look like the extra's on 'The Walking Dead'.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aspirin is definitely bad for you. You can overdose on 100 pills. Over the counter. There needs to be a law. Several. And police. Many.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:"'Everyone experiments at college or school and I want From Drugs to Mugs to show kids that everyone in those pictures started on cannabis, they didn't just dive head first into heroin."
Actually they probably started on mothers milk. It is full of cannabis analogs. It makes babies hungry.

Once they become acclimated most of them go on to the harder stuff. Whiskey. We need laws. And police. Lots of police. You see once they get a taste of the stuff early in life the cravings cannot be restrained. Except by police. Lots of police.

Mothers milk --> whiskey --> heroin.

Mother's milk is the path to ruin. But we can break the progression with the right laws. Outlaw alcohol.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Sad attempt at misdirection MSimon.

Where is your Drugs are good for you argument?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Damnation! I baited him again.

Slow Monday morning...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The first pair of photos is the most shocking to me. The girl on the left is pretty. Just 3 years and she looks like the walking dead. Hard to believe. Where's her chin?

For Simon to defend drug use even in threads like this, and then pretend he is not pro-drugs and not a user. . .seriously, who could possibly believe a story like that? And this is just one of the problems with drugs. Anyone who is familiar with the drug culture knows that users can never be trusted because they lie all the time. I find it very unlikely Simon's job is a real job too. Whether it is or not, I'm sure he's still the continuing burden on society because he collects money to sit at home and do drugs.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Big difference between being anti drug law and pro drug.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Somewhat related: http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-ga ... reporting/
If prescription drugs administered under care of a physician can do this kind of nasty, how bad could drugs administered by the fool treating his own psychiatric illness be?

On another tangent, I see the cases given in the article as likely problems of medication being used as a substitute for more traditional care, when it should be at most a supplement.

choff

Post by choff »

Guns don't kill people, antidepressants do.

At the Columbine shooting, I recall something about the killers exchanged fire with an armed school guard, still didn't stop it.
CHoff

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:
GIThruster wrote:"'Everyone experiments at college or school and I want From Drugs to Mugs to show kids that everyone in those pictures started on cannabis, they didn't just dive head first into heroin."
Actually they probably started on mothers milk. It is full of cannabis analogs. It makes babies hungry.
Nah. The horrors of DHMO are the gateway to addiction.
Stubby wrote:Big difference between being anti drug law and pro drug.
Agreed.
Vae Victis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

choff wrote:Guns don't kill people, antidepressants do.

At the Columbine shooting, I recall something about the killers exchanged fire with an armed school guard, still didn't stop it.
At 11:22, the custodian called Deputy Gardner on the school radio, requesting assistance in the Senior parking lot. The only paved route took him around the school to the east and south on Pierce Street, where, at 11:23 he heard on his police radio that a female was down, struck by a car, he assumed. He turned on his lights and siren. While exiting his patrol car in the Senior lot at 11:24, he heard another call on the school radio, "Neil, there's a shooter in the school".[22] Harris, at the West Entrance, immediately fired his rifle at Gardner, who was sixty yards away.[22] Gardner returned fire with his service pistol.[30] He was not wearing his prescription eyeglasses, and was unable to hit the shooters.[31]
Thus, five minutes after the shooting started, and two minutes after the first radio call, Gardner was engaged in a gun fight with the student shooters. There were already two dead and ten wounded. Harris fired ten shots and Gardner fired four, before Harris ducked back into the building. No one was hit. Gardner reported on his police radio, "Shots in the building. I need someone in the south lot with me."[22]
The gunfight distracted Harris and Klebold from the injured Brian Anderson.[4] Anderson escaped to the library and hid inside an open staff break room. Back in the school, the duo moved along the main North Hallway, throwing pipe bombs and shooting at anyone they encountered. They shot Stephanie Munson in the ankle, although she was able to walk out of the school. The pair shot out the windows to the East Entrance of the school. After proceeding through the hall several times and shooting toward—and missing—any students they saw, Harris and Klebold went toward the West Entrance and turned into the Library Hallway.
Deputy Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, was writing a traffic ticket north of the school when the "female down" call came in at 11:23. Taking the shortest route, he drove his motorcycle over grass between the athletic fields and headed toward the West Entrance. When he saw Deputy Scott Taborsky following him in a patrol car, he abandoned his motorcycle for the safety of the car. The two deputies had begun to rescue two wounded students near the ball fields when another gunfight broke out at 11:26, between Harris, back at the West Entrance, and Gardner, still in the parking lot. Deputy Smoker returned fire from the hilltop, and Harris retreated. Again, no one was hit.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

For the next 32 minutes, Harris and Klebold wandered the building, firing guns and setting off bombs, but causing no further injury. They committed suicide at 12:08, two minutes after the first SWAT team entered the building, but this fact was not discovered for more than three hours.[41]

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

choff wrote:Guns don't kill people, antidepressants do.

More straws Choff.

The police officer was having lunch in the parking lot when they started up. He then was called on the radio by a school staffer, and drove around to where they were shooting. He then engaged one of the shooters from the parking lot. The shooter eventually ran inside the building, but stayed near the doorway. He then engaged with the officer again from the doorway. The range was about 60 yards. During this time, this shooter was not rampaging the school and shooting undefended. Folks found cover and/or escaped. Of the 2,000 odd folks in the school when this started, the TWO heavily armed (guns and bombs) shooters only managed to injure 34. Of these 34 they only managed to kill 13. I would say the presence of an armed person on scene had a definate impact on the outcome. Upon being confronted, they quickly moved to the library, where they killed 10 of the 13 total death victims, and then killed themselves. Had there not been an armed engagement early on (almost the outset), odds are they would have continued to feel empowered to move more freely about the school and seek out more of the 2,000 potential victims.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columb ... S_TEXT.htm

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columb ... T_TEXT.htm

Now consider this event had there been more than the one assigned police officer, who was there in an ongoing "Community Service Liaison" position and not as full up Security. Or, just for fun consider the option that the faculty and staff had an option to be trained and armed as Concealed Carry security augment.

I think the outcome would have been even less damaging as it was. I also think that if it was public knowledge that staff & faculty carried weapons, and/or there was an active armed security patrol that even though these two cowards were a little more motivated than average to "show everyone", that they would have even reconsidered trying in the first place. And if they did, probably some folks still would have been shot by them, but more than likely far less than the comparitive few they managed (out of 2,000 targets), and it would have been over much sooner. Either they got dropped, or were motivated sooner to off themselves when they felt they got cornered.

Your argument is again weak and vacuous. the idea here is to prevent if possible, but also minimize if it happens. Letting these cowards cruise around at will inside a target zone is how more folks get shot than should.
That is also why the standard practice of police was changed to an immediate entry in the wake of Columbine. The police (at large) finally figured out something others of us already knew. Quick Decisive action to remove option chains from the opponent is required to seize the initiative. Or, in simpler terms I go back to my younger days, "Violence of Action" is not just a motto, it is a method.