Latest drug addict loons.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Re: Latest drug addict loons.

Post by Tom Ligon »

I could not read this headline without thinking of this thread.

OK, meth, not pot, is no doubt the driving drug here. And I usually won't even bother with a Daily Beast story.

This story is sort of a "Crime and Punishment, Texas Style, On Meth" tale. Its hard to know who to root for.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... apist.html

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Simon will like this story.

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein from the brain

found to promote the removal of toxic clumps of amyloid beta protein in the brain, which are thought to kickstart the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

The finding supports the results of previous studies that found evidence of the protective effects of cannabinoids, including THC, on patients with neurodegenerative disease.

http://www.sciencealert.com/marijuana-c ... -the-brain

I still don't think people should self-medicate.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

1. replication?
2. what other proteins does it remove from the brain?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:Simon will like this story.

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein from the brain

Or this one even more:

One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

"The results suggest people are really using marijuana as medicine and not just using it for recreational purposes."

There's a body of research showing that painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws. These studies have generally assumed that when medical marijuana is available, pain patients are increasingly choosing pot over powerful and deadly prescription narcotics. But that's always been just an assumption.

Now a new study, released in the journal Health Affairs, validates these findings by providing clear evidence of a missing link in the causal chain running from medical marijuana to falling overdoses. Ashley and W. David Bradford, a daughter-father pair of researchers at the University of Georgia, scoured the database of all prescription drugs paid for under Medicare Part D from 2010 to 2013.

They found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.

But most strikingly, the typical physician in a medical-marijuana state prescribed 1,826 fewer doses of painkillers in a given year.

These conditions are among those for which medical marijuana is most often approved under state laws. So as a sanity check, the Bradfords ran a similar analysis on drug categories that pot typically is not recommended for — blood thinners, anti-viral drugs and antibiotics. And on those drugs, they found no changes in prescribing patterns after the passage of marijuana laws.

"This provides strong evidence that the observed shifts in prescribing patterns were in fact due to the passage of the medical marijuana laws," they write.

In a news release, lead author Ashley Bradford wrote, "The results suggest people are really using marijuana as medicine and not just using it for recreational purposes."

One interesting wrinkle in the data is glaucoma, for which there was a small increase in demand for traditional drugs in medical-marijuana states. It's routinely listed as an approved condition under medical-marijuana laws, and studies have shown that marijuana provides some degree of temporary relief for its symptoms.

The Bradfords hypothesize that the short duration of the glaucoma relief provided by marijuana — roughly an hour or so — may actually stimulate more demand in traditional glaucoma medications. Glaucoma patients may experience some short-term relief from marijuana, which may prompt them to seek other, robust treatment options from their doctors.

The tanking numbers for painkiller prescriptions in medical marijuana states are likely to cause some concern among pharmaceutical companies. These companies have long been at the forefront of opposition to marijuana reform, funding research by anti-pot academics and funneling dollars to groups, such as the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America, that oppose marijuana legalization.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/healthca ... li=BBnbfcN

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:Simon will like this story.

I still don't think people should self-medicate.
With a medicine less toxic than aspirin? Really?
Newt On Opiates

So let me tell you what I think. Congress is in the process of ending Drug Prohibition by passing bills one at a time. And when there is not much public uproar they pass another. They will keep doing this until Federal Prohibition is gutted. When that is sufficiently accomplished – and not until then – drugs will get rescheduled.
Look what Newt says in an article linked at the above link.
Science is on our side. Studies show that opioid addiction is a chronic brain disease to which some people are genetically predisposed.
I have been saying that since 2002. When it gets even more widely diffused it will be very hard to go around punishing people with a genetic problem. As I have said so many times around here. To much derision.

The Republican rank and file had better get right on this issue. Lest the Democrats use it a an electoral bludgeon.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

williatw

Post by williatw »

MSimon wrote:I have been saying that since 2002. When it gets even more widely diffused it will be very hard to go around punishing people with a genetic problem. As I have said so many times around here. To much derision.

Stakes high as California poised to vote on recreational pot
The Golden State has been a leader in cannabis culture and policy. California was the first state to legalize medical marijuana 20 years ago. Soon, it could become the fifth and largest state to approve recreational use, with an initiative on the ballot for voters this November.

California's medical marijuana industry is already worth an estimated $2.7 billion. Experts say that number would reportedly more than double if recreational use is allowed.

As the country's most populous state and the world's sixth largest economy, passing this legislation could encourage other states to follow and pressure the federal government to confront the issue, reports CBS News correspondent Mireya Villarreal.
"This issue is about getting drug deals off of the streets that are predators targeting our kids," said Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Unlike 2010 when a similar measure failed, this initiative has drawn big-name backers, including Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and former Facebook President Sean Parker. Proponents say with a 15 percent retail tax on the drug, the California cannabis market could reportedly generate $7 billion a year.

But groups working to defeat the initiative say legalizing marijuana comes with a cost.

"In Colorado, we've seen an increase poisonings, an increase in emergency room visits, an increase in fatal car crashes," said Kevin Sabet, president of Smart Approaches to Marijuana. "I think over time as we count those costs, they become tremendous and they overwhelm any tax revenue you'd get from legalizing the drug."

If the measure passes in California, the number of Americans living in states where pot is legal will more than triple.
New Jersey law would allow pot use for menstrual cramps

"That really helps puts pressure on Congress to deal with some of the major issues that have come out of the state and federal conflict on cannabis laws," said Taylor
Said in the video that approval of the initiative is leading by almost 60%; we can hope MSimon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california- ... tion-vote/
MSimon wrote:The Republican rank and file had better get right on this issue. Lest the Democrats use it a an electoral bludgeon.
Well maybe the "Republican rank and file" but I doubt it; don't see "crooked" Hillary being able to take advantage of it either. Here is hoping it passes in California, that would be huge.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote: Well maybe the "Republican rank and file" but I doubt it; don't see "crooked" Hillary being able to take advantage of it either. Here is hoping it passes in California, that would be huge.

Of course it will pass in California. The "Medical" spiel always was a wink wink pretext.

California has long ago lost it's F***ing mind.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:Of course it will pass in California. The "Medical" spiel always was a wink wink pretext.

And yet when they tried to make recreational usage legal in California back in I think 2010 it failed handily; someone apparently there took the distinction seriously
Diogenes wrote:California has long ago lost it's F***ing mind.
Along with Colorado, Alaska, Oregon, Washington; 25 or so states allow some form of marijuana legalization. Apparently people in their madness think pot is better controlled if it is legal, taxed and regulated, than illegal and therefore supporting drug cartels.

choff

Post by choff »

Might as well list these rodeo clowns under the same heading. Same difference.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-2 ... ic-sea-ice
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:
williatw wrote: Well maybe the "Republican rank and file" but I doubt it; don't see "crooked" Hillary being able to take advantage of it either. Here is hoping it passes in California, that would be huge.
Of course it will pass in California. The "Medical" spiel always was a wink wink pretext.

Yeah. Alzheimer's ($200 bn a year) and cancer ($100 bn a year) was always a pretext. Luckily you have Big Pharma fighting those pretexts. They have only your best interests at heart. Just ask their accountants.

A question you might want to ask yourself. "What kind of country or State makes War on 10% of its population?"

The Republicans have promised to amp up the war. And they call it just that "war".

http://classicalvalues.com/2016/07/the- ... -platform/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

An shades of Vietnam. 58% of the country is against at least part of the War.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Does anyone have the numbers handy for traffic fatalities and/or poisonings in Colorado for the last few years? I'm curious how true the quoted statement is that they are up. I remember last year folks posting links to reports stating traffic fatalities were down.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Of course it will pass in California. The "Medical" spiel always was a wink wink pretext.

And yet when they tried to make recreational usage legal in California back in I think 2010 it failed handily; someone apparently there took the distinction seriously

There is a certain class of Namby Pamby people who never want to face the truth. They are perfectly fine with making decisions based on their surface feelings about issues, but not sufficiently interested to actually think out what they believe and why.

Proponents had to sell the lie (Medical Marijuana) to get people comfortable with the idea. They did the same thing with "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", which I knew at the moment it was proposed was just another "reassurance vehicle" for stupid people.

Some people just can't see the larger movements which are occurring and where they are heading. They are too occupied with trees to notice the forest.

williatw wrote:
Diogenes wrote:California has long ago lost it's F***ing mind.
Along with Colorado, Alaska, Oregon, Washington; 25 or so states allow some form of marijuana legalization. Apparently people in their madness think pot is better controlled if it is legal, taxed and regulated, than illegal and therefore supporting drug cartels.

Colorado is going cuckoo because the Californians are fleeing that horrible disaster they created on the West coast, and they are resettling in Colorado, and for that matter Washington and Oregon too.

I don't think it's a coincidence that as the number of migrant Californians go up in a state, the state begins appearing increasingly deranged.

But I am not limiting my critique to just what those loony toons are causing to happen on the pot issue. They are, across the board, screwing up their new states. They are bringing to their new states that increasing dysfunction that originated in the state from which they have fled.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

Yeah. Alzheimer's ($200 bn a year) and cancer ($100 bn a year) was always a pretext. Luckily you have Big Pharma fighting those pretexts. They have only your best interests at heart. Just ask their accountants.

While I will not dispute the possibility that "Big Pharma" will put it's own financial interests ahead of people, I do not think they have a very big role in keeping something which has been illegal since the 1930s, illegal.

I expect they regard "Medical Marijuana" to be the same sort of threat to their interests as they would herbal tea remedies.
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... roven.html
Marijuana does raise the risk of getting schizophrenia and triggers heart attacks, according to the most significant study on the drug's effects to date.

A federal advisory panel admitted cannabis can almost certainly ease chronic pain, and might help some people sleep.

But it dismisses most of the drug's other supposedly 'medical benefits' as unproven.

Crucially, the researchers concluded there is not enough research to say whether marijuana effectively treats epilepsy - one of the most widely-recognized reasons for cannabis prescriptions.

The report also casts doubt on using cannabis to treat cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, or certain symptoms of Parkinson's disease, or helping people beat addictions.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.