Ignorance Moved

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

CaptainBeowulf

Re: Is the ABSENCE of news, news?

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

Not sure I would characterize the military as suffering from "chronic drug use." I suggest that military chronic drug use is something that actually swings like a pendulum. Vietnam era? Yes, pretty extensive. Not so bad by the late 1970s. Supposedly a very clean military by the 1990s and early 2000s, with even alcohol use comparatively curtailed (of course there are always individuals, and clusters of individuals, who are exceptions). De facto things seemed to have gotten a lot worse with Iraq and Afghanistan. Probably not as bad as the late 60s, though.

More historically, and including all Western military forces as collectively "the military" (rather than just U.S. forces), troops and sailors liked their booze over the centuries. But, even that came and went from what would be normal alcohol consumption levels for their societies to ones that some would consider excessive. There were probably a few opium smokers in the late 19th century.

Obviously prolonged and difficult combat operations drive up drug use due to what we now call PTSD. I don't disagree with MSimon that it's a coping mechanism for trauma. Whether it's a good coping mechanism that should be encouraged is a different question.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As opposed to the idiots sitting on toilets smoking pot who already have a job, say in the military? Given the military's long history of chronic drug use do you really want to go there?
Active duty drug users are a finite and rare breed these days. They do not survive long. They think they do, but really, they do not. Routine and often flushing does occur.
And what was Iraq II if not an exercise in trying to solve one of the world's problems? Well, besides GWB wanting to prove that he was a better man than his daddy.
I am really not sure how you are entraining this with my post from above. Especially the second part.

My core point and underlying theme is/was that choosing to actively participate in society vice escape it is the best means to collectively and truly solving world problems.
Drug use is an escapism that then becomes a self-licking ice-cream cone. On average, drug users are a societal burden. And the average drug user continues to become more of a burden the longer they do it. At least until they exit society.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Netmaker wrote:
choff wrote:When they start clearing trees and farming in Greenland again then we can say it's warmed up as much as a thousand years ago.
Why yes, that's a great idea! We'll just wait until it's so totally obvious that even the idiots can't deny that climate patterns have changed.

Really though, just keep an eye on the insurance companies. They have skin in the game through crop failures, wildfires and flooding.

Also, keep an eye on that bastion of liberal elites - the US Military. They've been looking at the possible consequences of climate change for quite some time.

The Navy has a lot directly at stake (ship operations, humanitarian relief missions and port facilities) in a world of increasingly more violent storms and flooding.
The rise of sea levels is a disaster in the making - at 3.3 mm a year - the highest rate seen in the last 50 or so years, there will be about a 1 foot rise by 2100. A catastrophe. However the rate of rise has flatlined over the last 10 or so years. That reduces the estimated rise by 2100 by at least a few inches. A disaster but not the catastrophe of a foot rise.

And the Navy? Well, I like the Navy. But they are as opportunistic as any other government agency. If "global warming" is a good tool for getting more funds they will use it.

What is the problem for insurance? Well it isn't global warming. But if they can use it to justify higher profits? Do you think they wouldn't use it? What is their real problem?

1. Lack of forest maintenance - like brush clearing.
2. More and more expensive property in danger zones. - like sea shores.

BTW storm frequency and severity is not increasing. But you have to look at the actual numbers to learn that.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

CaptainBeowulf wrote:Not sure I would characterize the military as suffering from "chronic drug use." I suggest that military chronic drug use is something that actually swings like a pendulum. Vietnam era? Yes, pretty extensive. Not so bad by the late 1970s. Supposedly a very clean military by the 1990s and early 2000s, with even alcohol use comparatively curtailed (of course there are always individuals, and clusters of individuals, who are exceptions). De facto things seemed to have gotten a lot worse with Iraq and Afghanistan. Probably not as bad as the late 60s, though.

More historically, and including all Western military forces as collectively "the military" (rather than just U.S. forces), troops and sailors liked their booze over the centuries. But, even that came and went from what would be normal alcohol consumption levels for their societies to ones that some would consider excessive. There were probably a few opium smokers in the late 19th century.

Obviously prolonged and difficult combat operations drive up drug use due to what we now call PTSD. I don't disagree with MSimon that it's a coping mechanism for trauma. Whether it's a good coping mechanism that should be encouraged is a different question.
Alcohol is the preferred method. It can kill you. But it is legal.

BTW the endocannabinoid system is pervasive in the body. As are the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Cannabinoids from the cannabis plant can be used to make up for deficiencies of endocannabinoids or through antagonist properties of some cannabinoids (such as cannabidiol) control excesses. There are 66 known cannabinoids in the cannabis plant.

The videos here explain it some:

http://classicalvalues.com/2013/02/cbd- ... -analysis/

also more here:

http://classicalvalues.com/2013/03/endo ... e-science/

Another interesting one. Cannabinoids and runner's high
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/8/i.2.full

Given the science I don't understand the prejudice against cannabis. But prejudice was never about reason.

This is a good one that explains how lack of endocannabinoids locks in prejudice in the human brain. It explains why significant changes of attitude are nearly impossible for most people after age 25. Endocannabinoid production declines.

http://classicalvalues.com/2013/03/the-next-revolution/

It may also explain why most scientific revolutionaries are between the ages of 15 and 25. Past those years brain plasticity is greatly reduced. Could cannabinoids be used to extend the time of brain plasticity and thus increase the rate of scientific discovery? The research hasn't been done.

I am excited about all this though. Those who resist looking into this sort of thing are dying off. In ten years I expect these questions and many more will receive attention.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Admins, can we please move the second half of this thread into General? It has nothing to do with Polywell.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack wrote:Admins, can we please move the second half of this thread into General? It has nothing to do with Polywell.
Delta V fourmula proves out! :D :D :D
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marines-face-r ... 711344.htm
prohibition of their use of alcohol
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

MSimon wrote:
ladajo wrote:Healthy Eating
Healthy Drinking
Take it elsewhere Mike. Your logic is false, and in the wrong place (again). I don't follow your links on drugs, nor read your posts. Occasionally, I will give one a very light very fast skim. But not often. You have alienated me on this with your persistant and repetative drugs stupidity. The fact that you try to equate drinking hand sanitizer (I see the link title) with pot laced brownies is typical for you. A leap too far. I knew my post would bring your usual nonsense laced propaganda blast. Give it up.

You should take note that your "liberty" Topic Post, (what ever it is about, I assume drugs again, and have not looked) has recieved about 50 looks, and no comments. Not a large audience, and I am sure some that just clicked it because it was "new" and maybe a couple were in advertant repeat clicks. Interest in your pro-drug agenda vomit is waning here. Take it elsewhere.

If you want to talk about science and technology, especially energy and Polywell, bring it on. Leave the drug crap in your head.

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Agreed.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I don't follow your links on drugs, nor read your posts.
Thank God for that. I prefer you remain ignorant. It assists me greatly in my efforts to destroy the right. It helps me to paint them as anti-science. Many thanks again.

BTW I didn't bring up the drug thing. But I will respond. And if I can figure out how to move this to General I will.

And further you are living proof of the Planck assertion:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." - Max Planck

The endocannabinoid systems are pervasive in the body and you don't want to learn about them. Excellent Lad.

MSimon

Re: Ignorance Moved

Post by MSimon »