Wearable Computers

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Wearable Computers

Post by GIThruster »

This trend of making powerful computing a part of everyday life, with or without the desk, with or without needing to be plugged in, etc., is truly the last step before cybernetic implants, which we ought to expect this decade too. In the meantime, we have Google Glasses, which they stupidly announced years before the project is ready, and now from Apple, as is their habit, now reveals the fully developed and completed project, the Apple i-Ring:

http://www.igadgetware.com/2012/03/appl ... ncept.html

It might not seem like much to have that limited kind of control over an app, but a small handful of controls are all most apps need, and now you don't need to touch the computer at all. This seems would pair wonderfully with the head mounted display technology if Google can deliver. Sometimes I wonder whether we'll see Apple iGlasses before we see GoogleGlasses.

And all that aside, I'm not much a one for jewelry, but a ring that glows. . .that has serious coolness factor built in. Kids are going to stand in line to buy these.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

chrismb

Re: Wearable Computers

Post by chrismb »

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Speaking from within the industry, I feel these are all fads and should not in any way be confused with implants. Implants are a potential future for disabled individuals to regain senses or abilities. Already in the last year we've seen the first realistic looking occular implants with the ability to transfer in real-time data to the brain. I do have my doubts though toward implants as more and more rapidly we're discovering the ability to regrow organs and I feel that will be the ultimate future. As for my fad statement, Mr. Jobs is likely rolling in his grave as we speak. Google Glasses and iRing are desperation grasps at innovation that just won't take off.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I'm pretty sure Jobs is on record as advocating for wearable computers. They've been a mainstay for futurists for several decades. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that's not where we're headed.

I don't personally like cell phones. All they do is steal my time. That doesn't mean I didn't recognize back when they were the size of a breadbox that this is the direction we're headed. Smartphones and tablets too. In fact I'd say that had Apple taken the tac of putting a phone into the iPad, they'd have sold a lot more tablets than they have. They didn't, because they want to sell both iPhones and tablets, but convergence is the way and sooner or later one of the two will disappear. It may not happen until the utility of the pad screen is found through another venue like a head mounted display, but eventually all our computing needs are going to be met by some sort of wearable and you won't need to sit down at a desk to do whatever you feel you need to do.

Now I will own that wearable is short of implants, and I will own that implants for the sake of enhancements are creepy, but there's no way to stop that from happening. Doctors can refuse to do "unnecessary" surgery on healthy people and they should, but how long did that argument stand up against cosmetic surgery? Sooner or later the market will drive industry to provide people with what they want, and if what they want is to be able to download the complete works of Shakespeare into a cybernetic implant, you can be assured someone somewhere will eventually make that possible. I'm not saying I like it. I'm just saying that certainly is where we're headed.

If you can't sympathize, imagine downloading all the resource materials you could like to program in any language you like without error, or anything else you'd personally find useful.

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

GIThruster wrote:You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Damnit stole my quote. :P
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

GIThruster wrote:... I will own that implants for the sake of enhancements are creepy
Direct neural interface may work very well, until the computer or some cracker decides to do something like manipulating your memory.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.