Living off the grid is illegal

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Living off the grid is illegal

Post by choff »

Court ruling on woman living off grid, take that all you wicked self reliant people.

http://canadianawareness.org/2014/02/fl ... s-illegal/
CHoff

paperburn1

Re: Living off the grid is illegal

Post by paperburn1 »

How soon before growing your own food will be Illegal .
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am sure that buried deep in thousands of pages of FDA and State regs it already is. Of course nowadays, it seems we are also going to be held beholden to unknown international guidelines that are not ratified by the Senate.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

they will pry my cabbage from my cold dead fingers! :D

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Cabbage is considered a Chemical Weapon under the International Chemical Weapons Convention.

They may well. ;)
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

ladajo wrote:Cabbage is considered a Chemical Weapon under the International Chemical Weapons Convention.
What about broccoli and brussel sprouts?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

We may have to consult a UN Lawyer, but they may well fall into the same category of weapons.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Beans I could understand , at least with me. :D

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

...the right of the people to keep and bear cruciferous vegetables shall not be infringed.

Cancer Alert: Your Best Defense - Go Cruciferous

cgray45

Post by cgray45 »

The article is a bit misleading. It's important to note, that contrary to most views of activist judges, most judges, especially at the very low level of initial court cases (like this one) are very reluctant to make sweeping decisions. And in many cases, a law may be unreasonable, and yet not unconstitutional-- and that would be for higher level state and apellete courts to decide, but in this case, the judge's statements may strengthen her case, not simply judicially but in attempting to have the code enforcement laws amended. I'll note that you'll still not get completely living off the grid as the city would probably retain the right to verify that your water and sewage disposal systems are not harmful to the property owner or neighbors. (and as a person who once lived down the hill from someone who thought discharging untreated sewage into the front yard as an excellent idea, I'm not overly unhappy at the idea of some level of code observation).

But where she's really likely to win is here:

The city did overstep its authority and may have violated due process procedures, Eskin noted. He felt that the city had not given Speronis proper notice of violations and ruled that some of the charges against her were unfounded.
That's completely within the courts purview and while it may not force the city to back off entirely, it gives her a far stronger hand in negotiation since they could find themselves reversed if this goes up to a higher court. In fact, a higher court might decide that the city m ust come up with a way of allowing off the grid living, but I think that's not th emost likely outcome.
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.