For the same pricetag to mitigate climate change

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: For the same pricetag to mitigate climate change

Post by GIThruster »

Well as I said, I'm no authority on wormholes. I was speaking in the general sense of that horizon where stuff ceases to exist here and starts to exist there. We know so little about the fabric of space-time itself that we'd go amiss to stipulate much about what happens at those points at the end of the tunnel but you're right, it is probably not best to speak of a specific event when there is rather a continuum. In any case, you can't syphon a gas which is the action the above was suggesting. For that you need fluid and solid container side walls for the fluid to generate vacuum against, etc. OTOH, gas pressure laws suggest to me, sending atmosphere from Venus to Mars under its own pressure is quite possible.

And while we're busy being bold, lets note we might thieve water from Ganymede or any other number of outrageous operations. Mastery of wormhole technology is indeed a god-like power to create worlds, and this is not even considering the implications of time travel.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Post by 93143 »

GIThruster wrote:gas pressure laws suggest to me, sending atmosphere from Venus to Mars under its own pressure is quite possible.
Yeah, it seems like a lot of gas pressure. But it isn't even enough to get a noticeable amount of gas out of Venus' gravity well (which is why it's still down there), and Mars is much further up than that.

All I'm saying is that unless something really weird is going on (I'm not a wormhole expert either), the principles of gravitational potential indicate that the only way to get gas from Venus to Mars is to ram it up the hill at high speed. And it happens that when the planets are on opposite sides of the Sun, the relative speed is high enough.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well, if you need the gas to enter the wormhole with enough speed to climb some planetary gravity well, you have to move the wormhole's mouth relative to the gas. So you're talking about a wormhole generator moving at huge speeds though the atmosphere. That sounds harder to me.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

williatw

Post by williatw »

GIThruster wrote:Well, if you need the gas to enter the wormhole with enough speed to climb some planetary gravity well, you have to move the wormhole's mouth relative to the gas. So you're talking about a wormhole generator moving at huge speeds though the atmosphere. That sounds harder to me.
Don't know much about wormholes either...but I do recall molecular kinetics from my physical chemistry classes. The significance of the Root mean square velocity of a gas at some given temperature. That's how Venus lost its water in the first place; it was disassociated by solar UV into H2 and 02; the heavier MW 32 amu O2 was too slow to escape (it later reacted with Carbon to form the current CO2), the lighter H2 at the same temperature had a significant fraction's velocity above Venus's escape velocity. So over geological time the H2 leaked into space. So 90 atmospheres at the surface and 900F; must be some plenty energetic CO2 (though I am not sure the RMS velocity would be greater than Venus's escape velocity).