MIT Researcher’s New Warning: about autism

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: MIT Researcher’s New Warning: about autism

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... nabinoids/

Alger added that, if the endocannabinoid system does turn out to be connected to autism in humans, medical marijuana could turn out to hold possibility for treating autism.
The article does say that autism might be caused by cannabis.

But then we see anecdotes like these:

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/fami ... urel-joss/

http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/medical-c ... ts-autism/

http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/new ... ss-8763721

I don't see the two concepts as being contradictory. It has long been my belief that the endocrine system "learns" what is normal (starting before you are born) and then attempts to maintain the level of endocrine secretions that approximates what it has "learned" is normal.

If you have taught it that "normal" is to have high levels of plant THC in your system (remember these plant toxins are evolved to kill or discourage predation) then it may try to maintain those levels it thinks are "normal" but is unable to do so because the human body does not create plant-like THC. It creates normal human "cannabanoids". (a misnomer if there ever was one. Plant "Cannabanoids" were evolved to tamper with the mammalian version, but because the similarity to cannabis was discovered, the human system is named after the plant toxin intended to kill or disable it. )

Simon has been using the fact that the human system was named after the plant compounds as propaganda to argue that the plant compounds are "normal", else why would we have components of the endocrine system named after them? It is a non-sequitur to be sure, but that doesn't stop him from constantly using it.

But getting back to my point, if you train a body to think that something unnatural in it's system is normal, it eventually adapts to that condition. As a result of adapting to this abnormal condition, it may result in dysfunction. It might result in autism.

That a condition caused by an unusual chemical in the body might be relieved by putting this unusual chemical in the body seems plausible to me.

I happen to know someone with an autistic child. I just called her and asked her if she happened to have been around people smoking marijuana when she was pregnant with her son. Guess what? All the freaking time! During the entire pregnancy her boyfriend was a heavy pot smoker. (still smokes, and owes her about $28,000.00 in back child support. )

One case, and anecdotal I know, but I put that in the category of "marijuana is likely bad for humans because it possibly causes birth defects."

So I guess pot does to the brain of genetically predisposed children, what thalidomide does to their bodies?

It's probably too early to reach such a conclusion, but suddenly i'm considering this a plausible possibility.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scupperer wrote:
In my own case, removing gluten from my diet reversed my T2 Diabetes and allowed me to go medication free. I've seen several other T2 Diabetics have similar results. Autism is a little trickier, because it's developmental, so any dietary changes will be difficult to track results, but I know of two families who have gone gluten-free for their autistic children, and they swear by the results. I'd rather have medical studies to cite, but the one's I've found are very wishy washy about the results. Some say yes, some say no. Typical research bullshit.

If glyphosate is the source, it's nearly impossible to avoid; it will be in any public water source not treated by reverse osmosis. Even if one avoids gluten, glyphosate is used on most every crop.

Avoiding gluten after intestinal damage (caused by glyphosate or not), however, is an effective treatment for amyloid related illnesses, which is why the gluten free movement is all the rage - because it actually works (not for weight loss, just for general well being), even if most people trying it out have no idea why.

This autistic child of which I spoke, hates bread. He only wants to eat meat or beans. Will eat the meat off of a burger and leave the bread. I've read elsewhere that there seems to be some sort of a correlation between glutens and autism.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Diogenes wrote:This autistic child of which I spoke, hates bread. He only wants to eat meat or beans. Will eat the meat off of a burger and leave the bread. I've read elsewhere that there seems to be some sort of a correlation between glutens and autism.
Keep in mind that going gluten-free is much more foodstuff than just avoiding bread. It's also an additive in many flavorings, not to mention regular things like pasta, goldfish crackers, cheerios, cookies, etc., and if there is a reaction to gluten, it doesn't take a great deal for it to cause problems. My blood sugar is pretty regularly 90-110 in the morning since going gluten free (down from 130-150 w/2000mg Metformin daily), and if I'm exposed to gluten, even by a small component of a meal such as Teriyaki or Soy Sauce, my blood sugar will be 200+ the next morning. I don't get IBS like Celiac's, and except for being extremely tired and groggy the next day, wouldn't know without the test. My initial improvement after going gluten-free, however, was very life changing.

Most of the literature I've read on Autism and diet seems to also include casien, a protein in dairy, as a problem. I suspect casein reacts with gliadin and amylin to form gliadin peptides, and that without gluten, casein wouldn't be nearly as problematic. I've seen people with dairy problems clear right up after going gluten free, and some ex-vivo research backs this up:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bm401815u
Here, a common template of trypsin hydrolyzed gliadin is combined with six adder proteins (α-casein, α-lactalbumin, amylase, hemoglobin, insulin, and myoglobin) to determine what properties of the adder protein drive amyloid self-assembly.
Unfortunately, the full article is no longer free.

Another dietary treatment that's been proven for adolescents with epilepsy, and is being tested on autistics, is a high-fat diet. Really high fat: sticks of butter in your soup, drink the bacon grease kind of high-fat. Haven't seen any of those results, yet, though.

Anyway, maybe I'll supplant MSimon's drug rants with gluten-free rants. Keep things lively around here.
Perrin Ehlinger

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Scupperer wrote:
Diogenes wrote:This autistic child of which I spoke, hates bread. He only wants to eat meat or beans. Will eat the meat off of a burger and leave the bread. I've read elsewhere that there seems to be some sort of a correlation between glutens and autism.
Keep in mind that going gluten-free is much more foodstuff than just avoiding bread. It's also an additive in many flavorings, not to mention regular things like pasta, goldfish crackers, cheerios, cookies, etc., and if there is a reaction to gluten, it doesn't take a great deal for it to cause problems. My blood sugar is pretty regularly 90-110 in the morning since going gluten free (down from 130-150 w/2000mg Metformin daily), and if I'm exposed to gluten, even by a small component of a meal such as Teriyaki or Soy Sauce, my blood sugar will be 200+ the next morning. I don't get IBS like Celiac's, and except for being extremely tired and groggy the next day, wouldn't know without the test. My initial improvement after going gluten-free, however, was very life changing.

Most of the literature I've read on Autism and diet seems to also include casien, a protein in dairy, as a problem. I suspect casein reacts with gliadin and amylin to form gliadin peptides, and that without gluten, casein wouldn't be nearly as problematic. I've seen people with dairy problems clear right up after going gluten free, and some ex-vivo research backs this up:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bm401815u
Here, a common template of trypsin hydrolyzed gliadin is combined with six adder proteins (α-casein, α-lactalbumin, amylase, hemoglobin, insulin, and myoglobin) to determine what properties of the adder protein drive amyloid self-assembly.
Unfortunately, the full article is no longer free.

Another dietary treatment that's been proven for adolescents with epilepsy, and is being tested on autistics, is a high-fat diet. Really high fat: sticks of butter in your soup, drink the bacon grease kind of high-fat. Haven't seen any of those results, yet, though.

Anyway, maybe I'll supplant MSimon's drug rants with gluten-free rants. Keep things lively around here.
Well good. You focus on prevention. I'll work cures.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Simon has been using the fact that the human system was named after the plant compounds as propaganda to argue that the plant compounds are "normal", else why would we have components of the endocrine system named after them? It is a non-sequitur to be sure, but that doesn't stop him from constantly using it.
If you study the naming you will find that the chemicals in the plant are analogs to the chemicals found in the body and that they affect the same receptors. The naming was not haphazard. In fact it was an outgrowth of the work of Raphael Mechoulam who was the first to synthesize THC. Anandamide and THC are analogs. Cannabidiol and 2-AG are analogs.

http://www.whale.to/a/human5.html

I'm surprised with your great interest in the subject and your extensive study of it you didn't know this. You wouldn't be propounding out of ignorance would you? That would be so unlike you.

"You cannot be sure you are right unless you understand the arguments against your views better than your opponents do." - Milton Friedman
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.