Police Brutality Statistics

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Police Brutality Statistics

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Stubby

Re: Police Brutality Statistics

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Do you feel safer when a police car is in the vicinity? Or less safe?

When a police officer is following you in traffic do you feel safer? Or does it feel like a threat?

=========================

Or take assert forfeiture. Mainly directed against minorities. With half the amounts collected on the order of $141 or less. Who is going to report that? It only invites more trouble.

Statistics hardly tell the whole story.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/investiga ... story.html

Half of the more than $5.5 million in cash seizures involved $141 or less, with more than 1,000 involving less than $20.
And DC is not the only place that happens.

A man was suicidal and openly said he wanted to be killed by cops. He was known to have some type of air gun with him. His wife who called the cops told them about his intent and the air gun. The cops who couldn't identify the weapon for sure from 100 ft away (what no binoculars?) killed him. From 100 ft away.

Man killed by police wanted 'suicide by cop,' according to 911 call
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=33498979

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/17/estra ... er-suicida

Good shoot. The officers felt threatened.

"Bad" people have their records follow them for 7 years. They can't get hired except by friends. Bad cops? Just go to the next jurisdiction. I wonder if police departments put a sign up. "We are looking for a few bad men." Or if that is just SOP?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It looks like they have about 8 reports a day. That is about 3,000 a year. So in any given year something like .43%. Assume officers have 20 year careers. That would mean about 8 1/2% of the officers are seriously rotten. And if we assume the usual ratio of 10 incidents of a lesser nature for everyone reported that comes to around 85%.

The old saw about the 90% making the other 10% look bad is not so unrealistic.

And we have a slang name for police lovers in the general population and it is very common. "Cop fellators".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=7857177

==============

He says the third officer tased Vidal, knocking the 90-pound teenager to the ground. The officer then allegedly stepped forward with a firearm and said, “we don’t have time for this,” before shooting the teen dead.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/0 ... enic-teen/

=============

Last Friday, Los Angeles Police Department officers shot dead a mentally ill man who had already gotten out of his car after a police chase with his hands up. The incident, which was broadcast on national television for all to judge, was the latest in a string of more than a dozen police shootings that have surfaced in the news just in the last few months. Before that, it was the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Tyler Comstock after his father called the cops to report that his son drove away in his car. And other incidents involved death during traffic stop, calls to police for help with a mentally ill family member, and a man whose watering hose was mistaken for a gun.

While national data is not collected on police shootings, available studies suggest excessive use of police force is rarely punished. In the Iowa incident, the county attorney deemed the shooting legally justified, raising renewed questions about when police can and should turn to use of a gun, when another tactic or tool might do the job. While the LAPD incident is still under investigation, a critical look back at several of the other recent incidents through ThinkProgress interviews with former officers, firearms trainers, and academics, reveal that policy and training may be as much to blame as human error.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/1 ... -shooting/

========================================

Do you know the last time that police brutality was a national epidemic? Alcohol Prohibition.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/11309/Wicker ... ssion.html

...the volume entitled Lawlessness in Law Enforcement shocked the nation. This volume constituted an indictment of the POLICE MISCONDUCT the commission had found throughout the country. The report described the widespread use of the "third degree"—the willful infliction of pain and suffering on criminal suspects—and other types of police brutality. In addition, it revealed corruption in many cities' criminal justice systems and documented instances of BRIBERY, ENTRAPMENT, coercion of witnesses, fabrication of evidence, and illegal WIRETAPPING.

=======================================

If you read this link :

http://www.lexisnexis.com/documents/aca ... ommpt1.pdf

You would never think that we had gone through a period of reform.

========================================

This gets to the heart of it:

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-progra ... 7&pubID=18

...the primary focus of the Wickersham Commission was on prohibition and on the observance of the federal Volstead Act.

=======================================

You can't have a prohibition regime and honest policing. Pick one.

There is a whole pack of police officers who believe that. They call themselves "Law Enforcement Against Prohibition".
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And of course we have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Serpico

Because statistics don't do the police justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapp_Commission

The commission confirmed the existence of widespread corruption and made a number of recommendations.

==

The Knapp Commission Report on Police Corruption identified two particular classes of corrupt police officer, which it called "Grass Eaters" and "Meat Eaters". This classification refers to petty corruption under peer pressure ("eating grass") and aggressive premeditated major corruption ("eating meat").

The term "Grass Eaters" is used to describe police officers who "accept gratuities and solicit five, ten, twenty dollar payments from contractors, tow-truck operators, gamblers, and the like but do not pursue corruption payments". "Grass eating" is something that a significant number of officers are guilty of, but which they learned to do so from other cops or from imitating the deviants they watch and investigate every day. The commission even concluded that "grass eating" was used by police officers in New York City to prove their loyalty to the brotherhood, and with that came incentives like side jobs. One method of preventing cops from becoming corrupt is to eliminate this step by removing veteran cops who do this; without any veteran cops to learn this from, new officers might decide to never "eat grass".

"Meat Eaters" are officers who "spend a good deal of time aggressively looking for situations they can exploit for financial gain". An example of this is shaking down pimps and illicit drug dealers for money, not only for the material profit to the officers, but for the relief from guilt that the officers derive by convincing themselves that their victims deserve such treatment. They justify taking advantage of these kinds of criminals because they are considered the dregs of society."

==========================

And you know what the underlying problem was? The enforcement of Prohibition. Vice police.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And you know the best part about shaking down drug dealers and pimps? They will never file a police report.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:Do you feel safer when a police car is in the vicinity? Or less safe?
I feel safer. Men of honor and integrity have no reason to fear the police. I have very cordial relations with a handful of law enforcement officers and they're all ways pleasant. I'm sure people engaged in criminal activities like illegal drug use feel very differently. Some paranoid feelings have a real basis. If you make yourself a criminal, you ought to feel less safe. After all, your whole life is based on sneaking, and the cops are the guys who catch the sneaks.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:
MSimon wrote:Do you feel safer when a police car is in the vicinity? Or less safe?
I feel safer. Men of honor and integrity have no reason to fear the police. I have very cordial relations with a handful of law enforcement officers and they're all ways pleasant. I'm sure people engaged in criminal activities like illegal drug use feel very differently. Some paranoid feelings have a real basis. If you make yourself a criminal, you ought to feel less safe. After all, your whole life is based on sneaking, and the cops are the guys who catch the sneaks.
The police have no honor. If they did there would be no "Blue Wall Of Silence". They wouldn't have left Serpico to die when he got shot during a buy and bust. If they had any honor they wouldn't be hiring cops who couldn't cut it in another jurisdiction. If they had any honor they would be calling down IA on the incompetent cops.

You belief in the honor of police is touching. It has no relationship to reality. Otherwise words like "testilying" would not have entered the language.

If cops had any honor the 4th Amendment would be a sacred trust (no matter what the Supreme Court says) and not optional or subject to testilying.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BTW people always sneak around in police States. You might find the history of the former USSR educational. Especially what was referred to as informers and secret police. We have a better name for the Secret Police in the US. Undercover Police and of course the attendant informers. Always the informers.

A society based on informers is not a healthy one. Neither is one that is based on Undercover (Secret) Police.

Prohibitions do that to society. You might want to do some significant research on what the Wickersham Commission found out about the effects of alcohol prohibition on police and society. You know. So history doesn't have to repeat itself.

You especially don't want another election like 1932. Or 2008 for that matter. Just a wiff that the guy was not a Prohibitionist and the kids flocked to him (FDR or Obama - take your pick). Well if we are lucky we can get Rand Paul nominated.

williatw

Post by williatw »

GIThruster wrote:

Do Americans trust their cops to be fair and just? New poll contains surprises.

A police officer gives a thumbs up while arresting a demonstrator during a protest against police violence towards minorities at Grand Central Station in New York January 15, 2015. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

Young people don’t trust the police. That’s not surprising. They’re the ones most likely to get into trouble. In the Reuters poll, young people were more than twice as likely as seniors to endorse the view that police officers tend to unfairly target minorities (53 percent among Americans under 30, 25 percent among those 60 and older).

These days, young Americans are much more likely than seniors to live in a multicultural world and to interact with minorities. Even young whites were more than twice as likely as white seniors to brand the police as racist (42 percent of young whites but only 20 percent of white seniors).

Do Americans “trust the police to be fair and just?” Most do (53 percent). But that, too, is a political issue. Only 30 percent of African-Americans, 43 percent of young people and 47 percent of Democrats say they trust the police to be fair and just. Trust in the police is much higher among seniors (67 percent) and Republicans (70 percent).
In other words no one likes/trust the police as much as old white dudes love the police...that explains GIThruster, Ladajo, Diogenes.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2 ... routinely/

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Maybe you should try being a cop before you pronounce judgement on all cops.

I've been a cop, and the biggest reason I stopped was the depravity of the citizens I dealt with on the job. It was slowly making me hate people. Not what I wanted.
I respect those who can keep doing it, it is very hard on your soul to deal with complete a$$wipe citizens day in and day out. Average quote: "I was just minding my own business and trying to have some fun, why can't you a$$hole cops just leave us alone. You're such f-u-cking bullies. I'm going to sue you! But first I am going to kick your a$$!"
This quote was normally delivered from said citizens after being stopped from endangering others, including more often than not, their own kids. I have corrected grammar in the interest of readability. The average idiot I encountered in those days was truly uneducated, in many ways. Probably the most important of which was maturity, outside of the ability to communicate or do simple math.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are a child who is mimicking the opinions of others.
You really ought to try being your own person for a change. You might discover a new you.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

williatw

Post by williatw »

ladajo wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about. You are a child who is mimicking the opinions of others.
You really ought to try being your own person for a change. You might discover a new you.
What part do I not know what I am talking about? I merely posted a Reuters poll which indicated that young people/minorities don't trust the police nearly as much as elderly (probably mostly white) people do. Are you saying you don't believe the poll? Are you saying you in fact think the young/minorities do in fact trust the police just as much and Reuters lied/distorted their true feelings? So the people that disproportionately get stopped and frisked by cops opinions are not to be believed/trusted, but upper middle class elderly white people are the experts when it comes to whether the police are all their cracked up to be.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:The police have no honor. If they did there would be no "Blue Wall Of Silence". They wouldn't have left Serpico to die when he got shot during a buy and bust. If they had any honor they wouldn't be hiring cops who couldn't cut it in another jurisdiction. If they had any honor they would be calling down IA on the incompetent cops.
Do you have any idea how many men and women you are judging based upon a single event unrelated to any of them? That's nuts.
You belief in the honor of police is touching.
Get some reading comprehension. I was referring to those of us who are not criminals and are not afraid of the police. If you can't even read at 3rd grade level while drugged up, don't come to this forum when you're stoned. You're embarrassing yourself.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

williatw wrote:In other words no one likes/trust the police as much as old white dudes love the police...that explains GIThruster, Ladajo, Diogenes.
Why are you assuming I'm White, and why did you again drag race into this? If you are not an evildoer, you have nothing to fear from the police. Doesn't matter your race.