Police Brutality Statistics

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Police Brutality Statistics

Post by ladajo »

williatw wrote:
ladajo wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about. You are a child who is mimicking the opinions of others.
You really ought to try being your own person for a change. You might discover a new you.
What part do I not know what I am talking about? I merely posted a Reuters poll which indicated that young people/minorities don't trust the police nearly as much as elderly (probably mostly white) people do. Are you saying you don't believe the poll? Are you saying you in fact think the young/minorities do in fact trust the police just as much and Reuters lied/distorted their true feelings? So the people that disproportionately get stopped and frisked by cops opinions are not to be believed/trusted, but upper middle class elderly white people are the experts when it comes to whether the police are all their cracked up to be.
Think about the maturity factor silly boy. Although, that would require two things; You having some maturity (instead of some childish miss directions about perceived racial inequities), and thinking for yourself vice letting others do it for you.

Ask yourself why young people are more likely to get stopped and frisked in a crime zone. Maybe because statistically, it is more likely that a young person is conducting criminal behavior...? Too obvious for you apparently. Blinded by your own biases.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:
williatw wrote:In other words no one likes/trust the police as much as old white dudes love the police...that explains GIThruster, Ladajo, Diogenes.
Why are you assuming I'm White, and why did you again drag race into this? If you are not an evildoer, you have nothing to fear from the police. Doesn't matter your race.
So schizophrenics are evildoers? Because police seem to like killing them.

And what about when police raid the wrong place and kill an occupant defending himself from a home invasion? Was the occupant an evildoer? How about the baby that got a flash bang in the face? Was the baby a perpetrator of evil because he was an occupant of a place were an alleged drug dealer hadn't resided for two months?

Police attack innocent people all the time. Sometimes they kill innocent people. Sometimes they frame innocent people.

Your story that the innocent have nothing to fear from the police is true only in your imagination.

How many times do you hear of police shooting some one and only calling an ambulance after the "perp" has bled to death. Guilty or innocent that is just plain wrong.

Obviously you can believe what ever you want to believe. But you are in the minority. It didn't used to be that way. Did police behavior cause the change? These people think so: Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - you might want to go to their site and watch some videos.

As to racism in policing? Rand Paul thinks it is a problem. You might want to check out his speech on the subject.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

williatw

Post by williatw »

GIThruster wrote: If you are not an evildoer, you have nothing to fear from the police. Doesn't matter your race.
Unless your a young minority male acting "suspiciously"...or an "evildoer" pot smoker. I am more concerned with how the public which I am a part of feels about the police than how the police feel about themselves.
Don't know for sure whether you are white or not but I seriously find it difficult to imagine anyone other than a privileged white male (or female) that could make a statement like that with a straight face. Tell me does that logic "nothing to fear from the police" apply to asset forfeiture?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:
williatw wrote:
ladajo wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about. You are a child who is mimicking the opinions of others.
You really ought to try being your own person for a change. You might discover a new you.
What part do I not know what I am talking about? I merely posted a Reuters poll which indicated that young people/minorities don't trust the police nearly as much as elderly (probably mostly white) people do. Are you saying you don't believe the poll? Are you saying you in fact think the young/minorities do in fact trust the police just as much and Reuters lied/distorted their true feelings? So the people that disproportionately get stopped and frisked by cops opinions are not to be believed/trusted, but upper middle class elderly white people are the experts when it comes to whether the police are all their cracked up to be.
Think about the maturity factor silly boy. Although, that would require two things; You having some maturity (instead of some childish miss directions about perceived racial inequities), and thinking for yourself vice letting others do it for you.

Ask yourself why young people are more likely to get stopped and frisked in a crime zone. Maybe because statistically, it is more likely that a young person is conducting criminal behavior...? Too obvious for you apparently. Blinded by your own biases.
Well Lad. I was under the impression you took an oath to the Constitution. My mistake.

Because - no matter what any dam court says - stop and frisk with out probable cause does not match the 4th Amendment.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

williatw

Post by williatw »

ladajo wrote:Think about the maturity factor silly boy. Although, that would require two things; You having some maturity (instead of some childish miss directions about perceived racial inequities), and thinking for yourself vice letting others do it for you.
Love how you and GIThruster love to rant about "maturity" as you frequently indulge in childish name calling. You mean young minority males are more likely to be stopped and frisked in a "crime zone". I wouldn't call you a "silly old fool", but your life experiences are germane primarily to people like yourself. If you are white you don't tend to be stopped and frisked unless you are actually doing something genuinely suspicious; your willful deliberate naiveté is to assume that applies to everyone else

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:Your story that the innocent have nothing to fear from the police is true only in your imagination.
Simon, the kinds of incidents you're treating as characteristic of a problem occur less often than people being struck by lightning. Healthy, well adjusted people do not go through their lives worrying about lightning. They don't play in a field when a storm comes, since they know what can go wrong; but they don't hate on the electrical storms.

You're the one with the over-active imagination. People who are not criminals do not fear the law. You can't see that because you're a criminal.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:Because - no matter what any dam court says - stop and frisk with out probable cause does not match the 4th Amendment.
Maybe so, but people who aren't carrying illegal weapons or drugs, don't much care. Only the evildoers care.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

williatw wrote:
GIThruster wrote: If you are not an evildoer, you have nothing to fear from the police. Doesn't matter your race.
Unless your a young minority male acting "suspiciously"...or an "evildoer" pot smoker. I am more concerned with how the public which I am a part of feels about the police than how the police feel about themselves.
Don't know for sure whether you are white or not but I seriously find it difficult to imagine anyone other than a privileged white male (or female) that could make a statement like that with a straight face. Tell me does that logic "nothing to fear from the police" apply to asset forfeiture?
You're really scratching for an argument and coming up empty handed. If you are not doing wrong, you have no reason to fear the police. End of story. No exceptions. Even given the worst of your examples, like stop and frisk, are you suggesting being frisked is something to fear? If you're walking in an area known for high crime, and the police want to check you for a weapon or drugs, and you have no weapons or drugs, you have nothing to fear from them. What you ought to be afraid of is the criminal element around you, and be happy there are police nearby.

As to forfeiture, I have already said several times I do not agree with those laws, but my objection on this is not with the police. The police don't pass laws. They merely enforce them. Your gripe is with the legislature, and the criminal forces that have encouraged them to respond with these laws.

I grew up just outside NYC, and all my youth I got the daily news of this violence and that, and I was convinced NYC is one big crime zone. Giuliani then came in and cleaned it up, and everyone has been enjoying a fantastically better lifestyle ever since. Note it was these repressive acts of policing that made the difference. These were not permanent policy changes, but rather extreme measures that were made necessary by evil run amuck. There was a girl gang raped in a pub on a pool table in front of all the patrons many of whom were laughing and cheering, while she screamed her lungs out pleading for help, and no one did anything to stop it. (This wasn't in NYC but the repercussions were felt nationwide.) That's what happens when you let evil run the show. If to stop that, we have to put up with a few frisks, well hey; I'm all for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Araujo

BTW, the primary defense the 4 guys used who did this, was that: a) it was her fault for being so sexy and b) they and everyone else in the bar, were all stoned.

Don't you wish there had been some police on hand to hear those screams?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Well it seems like a couple of innocent girls should have been fearing police:

Retired officer apparently killed 2 daughters, self
http://news.yahoo.com/ex-suburban-york- ... 21157.html

and this is cheery news for the copsuckers
3 dead, 2 officers wounded in shooting in Georgia
http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-3-dea ... 30996.html
A former law enforcement officer who had lost his job because of allegations of domestic violence shot his ex-wife to death and wounded a sheriff and deputy Sunday at a home in northeastern Georgia, authorities said.

Anthony Giaquinta, 41, fatally shot his ex-wife, Kathy Giaquinta Smith, at the home in Clarkesville, Russell Andrews with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation told reporters Monday. The body of Steven Thomas Singleton, 45, was found outside the home, and authorities believe Giaquinta shot him as well.
We are so lucky that police doing this sort of thing to "civilians" is totally unknown.

But I AM sympathetic. Police work is so rough that sometimes they just HAVE to kill someone. Too bad about that Singleton guy, huh?

And this is just rich:
Giaquinta was never convicted on domestic violence charges and no restraining orders against him were in effect, Andrews said.
I'll bet they could convict him now. Except he is dead.

Some comments from the site:

But, but.... cops are ALWAYS the good guys. They are super heroes who protect us from forces of evil and NEVER have bad intentions or any negative personality traits... right?

This is what passes as psychologically sound in our police departments today. No wonder police on the streets are out of control.

Cops are known for abusive behavior with their own Wives and Children !! My Half Brother was abused as a kid by his father who was the chief of Police... I will never believe that any Cops are good Cops I think they all abuse their Power ! They only act civilized when they have a camera on their actions....Cops still abuse people and turn off their Dash Cams !

WHERES THE POLICE UNION NOW, THEY LOVE DEFENDING CORRUPT COPS, HOWABOUT A TWENTY GUN SALUTE FOR THIS FALLEN OFFICER.... PITIFUL!!!!!!!

Pig officer Glen Hochman should have used the CHOKED HOLD - its less messy and he may have gotten a desk job if he chooses to come back to the department.

So now, we have to watch for thug cops and whack job cops...yeeesh..

More and more horrific behavior is being revealed by cops: killing their families, killing unarmed citizens, raping, illegal cavity searches, etc. Hopefully this will be the push we all need to open eyes and make people realize cops are not the way they used to be and we need to reform policing in the US.

================

The comments are not all like that. Only about 70% .

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

"I find that the tactics utilized by (the officers) substantially and unjustifiably deviated from approved department tactical training, thus requiring a finding of administrative disapproval," Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck

No charges for Los Angeles officers who shot unarmed man after chase
http://news.yahoo.com/no-charges-los-an ... 51123.html

The Chief didn't like the way his officers behaved? What is the world coming to?

Well maybe the officers will find new careers. Like killing their wives and children.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:Well it seems like a couple of innocent girls should have been fearing police:
No simon. Sane, sensible people do not spend their time paranoid of the crazy out there just as we do not take measures against unforeseeable and wild accidents. We take sensible precautions against crazy, and then they go on and live our lives. You're talking about making policy decisions based upon your drug induced paranoia, and that cannot lead to a practical approach to life.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I figure the average "law man" reflects the ethics of the surrounding community. Unfortunately a lot of communities have ethical standards in the latrine.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Post by williatw »

GIThruster wrote:People who are not criminals do not fear the law.

The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site'

When a Guardian reporter arrived at this warehouse on Friday, a man at the gatehouse outside refused any entrance and would not answer questions. ‘This is a secure facility. You’re not even supposed to be standing here,’ said the man, who refused to give his name. Photograph: Chandler West/Guardian

Exclusive: Secret interrogation facility reveals aspects of war on terror in US
‘They disappeared us’: protester details 17-hour shackling without basic rights
Accounts describe police brutality, missing 15-year-old and one man’s death

The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago’s west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.

Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:
Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.

Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.

Shackling for prolonged periods.
Denying attorneys access to the “secure” facility.
Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.

At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square “interview room” and later pronounced dead.

Brian Jacob Church, a protester known as one of the “Nato Three”, was held and questioned at Homan Square in 2012 following a police raid. Officers restrained Church for the better part of a day, denying him access to an attorney, before sending him to a nearby police station to be booked and charged.

“Homan Square is definitely an unusual place,” Church told the Guardian on Friday. “It brings to mind the interrogation facilities they use in the Middle East. The CIA calls them black sites. It’s a domestic black site. When you go in, no one knows what’s happened to you.”
The secretive warehouse is the latest example of Chicago police practices that echo the much-criticized detention abuses of the US war on terrorism. While those abuses impacted people overseas, Homan Square – said to house military-style vehicles, interrogation cells and even a cage – trains its focus on Americans, most often poor, black and brown.

Unlike a precinct, no one taken to Homan Square is said to be booked. Witnesses, suspects or other Chicagoans who end up inside do not appear to have a public, searchable record entered into a database indicating where they are, as happens when someone is booked at a precinct. Lawyers and relatives insist there is no way of finding their whereabouts. Those lawyers who have attempted to gain access to Homan Square are most often turned away, even as their clients remain in custody inside.

“It’s sort of an open secret among attorneys that regularly make police station visits, this place – if you can’t find a client in the system, odds are they’re there,” said Chicago lawyer Julia Bartmes.

Chicago civil-rights attorney Flint Taylor said Homan Square represented a routinization of a notorious practice in local police work that violates the fifth and sixth amendments of the constitution.

“This Homan Square revelation seems to me to be an institutionalization of the practice that dates back more than 40 years,” Taylor said, “of violating a suspect or witness’ rights to a lawyer and not to be physically or otherwise coerced into giving a statement.”

Much remains hidden about Homan Square. The Chicago police department did not respond to the Guardian’s questions about the facility. But after the Guardian published this story, the department provided a statement insisting, without specifics, that there is nothing untoward taking place at what it called the “sensitive” location, home to undercover units.

“CPD [Chicago police department] abides by all laws, rules and guidelines pertaining to any interviews of suspects or witnesses, at Homan Square or any other CPD facility. If lawyers have a client detained at Homan Square, just like any other facility, they are allowed to speak to and visit them. It also houses CPD’s Evidence Recovered Property Section, where the public is able to claim inventoried property,” the statement said, something numerous attorneys and one Homan Square arrestee have denied.

“There are always records of anyone who is arrested by CPD, and this is not any different at Homan Square,” it continued.

The Chicago police statement did not address how long into an arrest or detention those records are generated or their availability to the public. A department spokesperson did not respond to a detailed request for clarification.

When a Guardian reporter arrived at the warehouse on Friday, a man at the gatehouse outside refused any entrance and would not answer questions. “This is a secure facility. You’re not even supposed to be standing here,” said the man, who refused to give his name.

A former Chicago police superintendent and a more recently retired detective, both of whom have been inside Homan Square in the last few years in a post-police capacity, said the police department did not operate out of the warehouse until the late 1990s.

But in detailing episodes involving their clients over the past several years, lawyers described mad scrambles that led to the closed doors of Homan Square, a place most had never heard of previously. The facility was even unknown to Rob Warden, the founder of Northwestern University Law School’s Center on Wrongful Convictions, until the Guardian informed him of the allegations of clients who vanish into inherently coercive police custody.

“They just disappear,” said Anthony Hill, a criminal defense attorney, “until they show up at a district for charging or are just released back out on the street.”
On February 2, 2013, John Hubbard was taken to Homan Square. Hubbard never walked out. The Chicago Tribune reported that the 44-year old was found “unresponsive inside an interview room”, and pronounced dead. After publication, the Cook County medical examiner told the Guardian that the cause of death was determined to be heroin intoxication.

Homan Square is hardly concerned exclusively with terrorism. Several special units operate outside of it, including the anti-gang and anti-drug forces. If police “want money, guns, drugs”, or information on the flow of any of them onto Chicago’s streets, “they bring them there and use it as a place of interrogation off the books,” Hill said.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... black-site

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

williatw wrote:The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound. . .
You do understand this is illegal, yes? So what are you complaining about? Certainly not the law abiding citizens practicing the law. You're whining about the exceptional cases that are illegal as if they are part of a "police state" situation when they are obviously the exception to the rules.

We can all whine about these exceptions if what we feel we really need to do is whine, but the fact remains, law abiding citizens do not fear the police. This is one case in 370 million people. Again, you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than ever coming across this kind of abuse.

Bill, doesn't it annoy you when people make gross generalizations about the Black community based upon a few bad cases? So why is it okay to portray the police like criminals just because a few of them are? We stared this thread with the actual police brutality statistics. You are more likely to be hit by lighting than subject to police brutality. Do you go about fearful of being struck my lighting?

williatw

Post by williatw »

GIThruster wrote:
williatw wrote:The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound. . .
You do understand this is illegal, yes? So what are you complaining about? Certainly not the law abiding citizens practicing the law. You're whining about the exceptional cases that are illegal as if they are part of a "police state" situation when they are obviously the exception to the rules.

We can all whine about these exceptions if what we feel we really need to do is whine, but the fact remains, law abiding citizens do not fear the police. This is one case in 370 million people. Again, you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than ever coming across this kind of abuse.

Bill, doesn't it annoy you when people make gross generalizations about the Black community based upon a few bad cases? So why is it okay to portray the police like criminals just because a few of them are? We stared this thread with the actual police brutality statistics. You are more likely to be hit by lighting than subject to police brutality. Do you go about fearful of being struck my lighting?
Amazing...a systematic organized abuse perpetrated by probably dozens at least of Chicago police officers (with probably many more cops at all levels complicit in the practice) in an American KGB style (torture them till they confess) becomes in your mind "few bad cases"; and a "gross generalizations". Wonder how many other police departments around the country have their version of the same thing? The level of cognitive dissonance you and others here seem capable of in your authoritarian love fest with the police is mind-boggling. And by the way my name as far as you are concerned is "williatw" not William or Bill; in polite society you don't address someone by their first name (assuming that's what it is) unless they invite you to.