Laser verus Truck. Laser wins.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Laser verus Truck. Laser wins.

Post by Tom Ligon »

I NEED one of these toys! Lockheed Martin has some really cool toys!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477880,00.asp

Lockheed Martin Laser Stops Truck in its Tracks

By Stephanie Mlot
March 6, 2015 10:24am EST

"Don't piss off Lockheed Martin: The aerospace company this week used a laser to obliterate the engine of a small truck from more than a mile away.

"The company used its 30-kilowatt fiber weapon system known as ATHENA (Advanced Test High Energy Asset). The ground-based laser prototype burned through the engine manifold of a mounted truck in mere seconds. The vehicle, hoisted onto a test platform, was running its engine and drive train, simulating a real-life military scenario."

hanelyp

Re: Laser verus Truck. Laser wins.

Post by hanelyp »

A truck coming at you from a mile away at a good road speed may close the distance in less than a minute, so seconds is literally the time you have to stop it. The task becomes harder if the truck is bouncing around, or not presenting a favored angle.

Still a good start.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Since the truck was angled tail-high, it's obvious that they were simulating laser attack from the air.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Yeah. Keep looking up. Can you spot the blimp at 20,000 ft?

Too bad. It sees you!

I don't know what happened to this, but I worked on a competitor's ship, and I think LM may have won the competition. LM does seem to be pushing a hybrid cargo airship. These things tend to have a pretty high electrical power spec.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/us-a ... lance-ini/