A Makers and Engineering Bookshelf

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

A Makers and Engineering Bookshelf

Post by Jccarlton »

I'm sharing my reference collection as part of my blog series on designing a product and getting it made.
https://theartsmechanical.wordpress.com ... bookshelf/

GIThruster

Re: A Makers and Engineering Bookshelf

Post by GIThruster »

I would suggest an update for your manufacturing processes book. 40 years old is useless. You need to be looking at recent technology since that is where all the innovation is happening. Relying upon a 40 year old book will actually hurt you in this. You want access to things like molecular diffusion bonding, sputtering, chemical vapor deposition and other modern processes that can be had cheap, and you want a list of their sources and suppliers. CVD machines can be purchased for $200 now.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

GIThruster wrote:I would suggest an update for your manufacturing processes book. 40 years old is useless. You need to be looking at recent technology since that is where all the innovation is happening. Relying upon a 40 year old book will actually hurt you in this. You want access to things like molecular diffusion bonding, sputtering, chemical vapor deposition and other modern processes that can be had cheap, and you want a list of their sources and suppliers. CVD machines can be purchased for $200 now.
And your background for this is? I do this stuff for a living and I'm pretty good at it. I'm keeping exotic stuff like Ebeam welding, ultrasonics and yes CVD off the list deliberately so as to not make things overwhelming for people who have NO experience in these things. Most people on projects like I'm thinking about don't need those exotic processes. As for forty year old books, the Bridgeport mill is 80 years old and every shop I've been in uses one. Some stuff doesn't age out.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Big advantage of the older books is they talk about doing it by hand. A lot of newer editions cut out "obsolete" techniques to be able to put in the new stuff, and keep the volume a reasonable size. So I say keep the older book, but make sure it's balanced with a newer book. It might be nice to be able to know how to cut a circular pocket on a manual mill, but chances are you're going to do it on a CNC these days.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Jccarlton wrote:I'm keeping exotic stuff like Ebeam welding, ultrasonics and yes CVD off the list deliberately so as to not make things overwhelming for people who have NO experience in these things.
There's nothing exotic about CVD. Anyone can buy a CVD chamber and do it in their garage for $200. Likewise with ultrasonics. Likewise with a couple dozen other manufacturing techniques that are less than 40 years old.

If you want to create a useful product, IMHO you need to include modern methods. No one in their right mind should be milling steal if they can instead more cheaply injection mold carbon nanotube composites. Modern methods exist because they're in some ways better than the methods they are replacing, so why would you leave them out of the book?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.