Abuses of Power

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ScottL

Abuses of Power

Post by ScottL »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/nyreg ... &smtyp=cur

The job of an officer is a thankless one. The risk of imperilment is greatly heightened by the job and it's description. I do not envy those who take it upon themselves to choose this profession in life, however; I recognize that they knew what they were signing up for when they did. Police are not figures of authority although they'd like you to believe so. They are there to serve and protect, nothing more, nothing less. I believe over time individuals who are not truly suited for the position have been attracted by the allure of false authoritative power. Surely in the above linked case, a thankfully non-lethal abuse, but a clear sign of an abuse all the same.

There is a fundamental problem with our police force today. It starts with the allure of power combined with the fraternity found within. It allows the few bad to corrupt all completely. I've had this discussion with various people and they always mention how it is a small number that are actually bad. I'll nod and concede that the number of truly bad officers is likely quite small, however; are not those "good" ones that witness and/or lie for the bad now bad themselves. We all know the unspoken rule not to tell. It can be inferred by documentation of events and shown to exist. This is my problem with the notion that the corruption is ever truly small. By not standing up against abuses witnessed, by lying for those who committed those abuses, that supposed "good" officer is not good, but corrupt. Sadly we find that officers willing to stand up against abuses often find themselves without jobs. It has become an unfortunate truth in our society.

I welcome discussion and debate as I'm sure many have opinions.

ladajo

Re: Abuses of Power

Post by ladajo »

The irony here is that interference with a postal service member in the performance of their duty is a federal felony as I recall. Where is the Postal Inspector and U.S. Attorney in this???
I hope those assholes get hammered. This is why I left law enforcement long ago. Protect and serve my ass, what they taught me was intimidate and dominate.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I'm interesting in seeing the original altercation that precipitated the arrest.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

From the article, it sounds like they almost ran him over as he was getting out of his truck to deliver mail, then came back for him when they heard him shout a complaint about that fact.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Sounds like a bad apple in company of evil people, :wink: after all His fiancé is also a new York police officer.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Our agency is aware of the incident,” says Matt Modafferi of the United States Postal Service Office of the Inspector General, “We have an investigation that’s ongoing, at this point, that’s all that I can comment on.”

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams held a news conference on Tuesday to denounce mailman Glenn Grays’ arrest on March 17th.

Doubtless, the two NYPD undercover cops may be getting a visit from the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) to discuss the arrest which may have violated one of the laundry list of federal crimes enforced by the oldest American police agency, founded by THE Ben Franklin in 1772.

williatw

Post by williatw »

ScottL wrote:There is a fundamental problem with our police force today. It starts with the allure of power combined with the fraternity found within. It allows the few bad to corrupt all completely. I've had this discussion with various people and they always mention how it is a small number that are actually bad. I'll nod and concede that the number of truly bad officers is likely quite small, however; are not those "good" ones that witness and/or lie for the bad now bad themselves. We all know the unspoken rule not to tell. It can be inferred by documentation of events and shown to exist. This is my problem with the notion that the corruption is ever truly small. By not standing up against abuses witnessed, by lying for those who committed those abuses, that supposed "good" officer is not good, but corrupt. Sadly we find that officers willing to stand up against abuses often find themselves without jobs. It has become an unfortunate truth in our society.

Agreed...like in the case of the Rodney King beating many years ago; its not just the four officers charged it is the 16 or so other officers who were present and did nothing. Who likely without the video evidence of the beating would have backed up without hesitation the version the four officers would have presented. Without the complicity of the 16 or so "good cops" present the bad ones couldn't survive and prosper; it has always worked that way. Just like the "good" public school teachers protect the bad ones; their behavior enabled through the group think mentality encouraged by the teacher's unions. In the case of the public school systems vouchers are probably the best option at this point.
Last edited by williatw on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

In other words... "Who watches the watchmen?"

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

paperburn1 wrote:In other words... "Who watches the watchmen?"
Or, in this specific case, "Who watches over the mailmen?"