Artificial gravity by acceleration

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Artificial gravity by acceleration

Post by kunkmiester »

Someone on a web comic forum just brought this up, thought I'd poke some people who know more about trajectories.

The thought was on a ship with enough isp to hold a fair amount of gravity by acceleration and deceleration, instead of doing a flip half way through to start the deceleration phase, you simply pull a uturn under power. Properly done, you stay under constant gravity with negligible side forces.

The problem of course is keeping yourself on course to your destination. How much trouble would a powered flip be?
Evil is evil, no matter how small

paperburn1

Re: Artificial gravity by acceleration

Post by paperburn1 »

No reason why you could not do it, aside from your soup spilling out of your bowl and not minding a little dizziness you could preform the turn in 100 minutes with only .001 g offset displacing you from your course by less than ten miles and correct for the last half of your flight.
assuming one G thrust and hundredth of a g thruster turn.
Assuming you have constant thrust from Delta_Vs propellant-less thrusts :D
And just to come clean I am not a rocket scientist but to paraphrase "The secret to brilliance is knowing how to hide your sources"
Right now this site needs a patreon or two. so here is my secret and I hope you enjoy
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.