Anyone want a dry bulk freight tanker cheap?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Anyone want a dry bulk freight tanker cheap?

Post by hanelyp »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-2 ... cks-coffee
For the cost of $1 - less than the price of a Grande Black Coffee at Starbucks - you too can be the owner of a 58,429 deadweight tonne bulk carrier...
Apparently demand for the service provided has fallen so low that the cost of upkeep is prohibitive.

Any thoughts on what it would cost to anchor 6 miles off the coast and convert to residence space in international waters within commuting distance of a major city?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

KitemanSA

Re: Anyone want a dry bulk freight tanker cheap?

Post by KitemanSA »

hanelyp wrote:Any thoughts on what it would cost to anchor 6 miles off the coast and convert to residence space in international waters within commuting distance of a major city?
I dobt you ould. First, its 12 miles, IIRC,and there is an exclusive economic zone of 200...km? mi?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

200nm EEZ would have no impact. 12nm is Territorial, and makes you subject to passage rules. Thus, you would not be able to claim "passage" if you anchored 'permanently'. The other issue is that you would still be subject to USCG and COLREGs as a vessel, since you are inside 12nm. Beyond 12nm, COLREGs becomes Customary Law, still enforceable, but harder. More of an insurance litigation argument than anything.

The big cost would be maintaining the ability to power and maneuver the vessel. There are some funny rules when it comes to how long you can anchor, less so from 3nm to 12nm. None outside 12nm (as long as you are not commercially exploiting sea resources while within 200nm. The other issue would be waste management. But with proper systems, not really a problem. Their are regulations regarding waste dumping (be it poop, oils, plastics) within 3, 5, 12, 50nms (with some more restrictive variances when within 3nm here and there). In the U.S. State jusrisdictions are out to 3nm. It is somewhat shared with the U.S.C.G dependant on MOUs and issue. Inland waters are dependant on access to ocean for jurisdiction, and how the Federal interpretation is applied.

If I were to do this, I would look for an unlimited anchorage within 3nm somewhere. And then find the best waste management option I could come up with for the money, that stays within the rules for the jurisdiction. Certainly doable. Probably would not need much work regarding quarters. The master's suite is usually pretty well appointed these days. And plenty of 'guest' rooms outside of that. If you want to splurge, all that is in the superstructure, and only subject to fire and ventilation regs, not flooding. So it is really easy to push walls around, etc as long as you don't mess with structural load bearing (which are easy to ID).
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

Has interesting possibilities for Vancouver's English Bay, typically you see the Freighters parked waiting to unload. Recall they charge the taxpayer $50,000.00 per day they have to wait. Plenty of room for a decent condo development, anyone else see Water World. They use the steel shipping container's to build houses, I see this as an expansion on the houseboat concept, didn't they do something like this with the QE2.
CHoff