Imperialism, China and Russia

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jmc

Post by jmc »

Right now the world relies almost on diminishing chemical energy reserves (oil, coal, gas). If they run out, without being replaced by somethingn else (solar power, breeder reactors, nuclear fusion) then civilsation will revert to the upper medieval period.

What allowed the industrial revolution? Rationalism yes, but also fossil fuels. If we deplete all our fossil fuels will we ever be able to become post industrial again? Can you build the hoover dam without construction vehicles and concrete factories? Can you produce photovoltaic cells without silicone factories powered by vast ammounts of energy and electricity. Can you design high precision equiptment without computers? Can a medieval civilisation built the number of windturbines required to power industry (Rather than grind a bit of grain)?

While there are solutions to our current energy shortage, I can't kick back, relax and say everything's going to be all right just because we got our way out of trouble in the past.

Anyone heard of the anthropic principle?

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Well said, TallDave. The Chinese "nuclear option" would take their economy with it.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Silicone is what they put in strippers.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I thought we were supposed to put dollars in them.
If they run out, without being replaced by somethingn else (solar power, breeder reactors, nuclear fusion) then civilsation will revert to the upper medieval period.
Possibly we could fall back to 1800s tech (I don't think we're going pre-Newtonian under any circumstances; there's too much information out there now) but I doubt any democratic polis would allow this to happen. People like having the lights on. Also, you might be forgetting you can build an alcohol-based economy (a la Ringworld) even without fossil/nuclear fuels.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Helius wrote:Wholeheartedly disagree.. I believe the sensible route is a goal of 20B well fed actualizing People here on Earth, 100B People in total.
No.

But 100 billion + on a few Supramundane planets and Bishop Rings would go well. :D
Vae Victis

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

TallDave wrote:I thought we were supposed to put dollars in them.
On them.

In them... :roll:
TallDave wrote:Possibly we could fall back to 1800s tech (I don't think we're going pre-Newtonian under any circumstances; there's too much information out there now) but I doubt any democratic polis would allow this to happen. People like having the lights on. Also, you might be forgetting you can build an alcohol-based economy (a la Ringworld) even without fossil/nuclear fuels.
If needful, we could pump Titan dry of hydrocarbons and send them all down the gravity well to here.

Duane
Vae Victis

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Duane,

It depends on the denomination. :twisted:
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

TallDave wrote:Duane,

It depends on the denomination. :twisted:
If you want to go that far, leave the Gentleman's Club or strip club and visit a dungeon. 8)
Vae Victis