Methuselah Mouse

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jboily

Post by Jboily »

rj40 wrote:Wow. I have not visited all the sites yet, so I will ask here. Has the FDA double blind tested any of this and found any of it to be safe and effective?

Anyone here notice a life difference after taking any of this stuff?
I have been taking resveratrol for a year and an half already. It do help me quite a bit with many of my sores!

Dr. David Sinclair has discovered that the sirtuins are involved in the aging process, which is a way to eliminate unneeded individual (who would need an old man like me:)

Here is a good link;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirtuin

He funded a company a few years ago (Sirtis http://www.sirtrispharma.com/) that was sold to GlaxoSmithKline this year for a few hundred millions.

I am hopping that their new anti-aging pills will be available before my hearth stop. They are currently going trough the approval processes for some aging related illnesses.

EDIT; you might take a look at this study also;
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0002264

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

JohnSmith wrote:I don't know about the drugs, but I do know calorie restriction is a proven method for lifespan extension in mice. I also recall reading a study that mentioned it not working nearly as well in higher order primates. (It was still somewhat effective) I don't recall where that study was, though.
I've read the same thing. I've also read that in humans, average lifespan isn't expected to increase - only maximum. People who don't eat much are smaller, frailer, with weaker immune systems, etc, and the risk of accidentally verging into malnutrition is too great. So if a large number of people started applying this technique at home without a nutritionist, we'd probably just see a lot more people dying in their sixties, with a handful living on to a hundred and twenty.
JohnSmith wrote:I read something interesting on the origin of aging. It proposed that evolution may have selected for genes that cause more harm over the long term, if they provided a substantial advantage to the young.
I've specifically read about this phenomena in regards to mitochondria. A more active mitochondrion, capable of churning out more cellular energy faster, also creates a larger number of free radicals and causes DNA damage faster than it can be repaired. This means a better metabolism and higher energy reserves when you need it in your twenties, and a great deal of defective mitochondria when you age. I remember seeing a graph once showing cellular usage of oxygen as a function of age - the older you are, the less oxygen you can actually use per second.
rj40 wrote: If the situation became too crowded, one would expect equal numbers of old and young to survive, barring the ability of the older to learn (I’m assuming very early in evolution and very simple critters and plants).
This is a commonly advanced purpose for aging, but you know, evolution doesn't care how new your genes are - just how effective. In theory there wouldn't be anything wrong with parents competing with offspring. If your offspring don't have genes as effective as yours, then it's a good thing you live a long time and can keep having children with different combinations of genes until one of them is your match, right?

This doesn't apply when parents have an advantage over children simply from being older, though. A conifer may produce a seed with truly excellent genetics, which could truly grow and outcompete its parents, but that seedling will never grow on the forest floor until its parents have been cleared out and it has a bare patch to start on. Or, to come back to the topicality of this forum, it's well and good for tokamak projects to compete with the polywell, theoretically, except that they're older and more established so they somewhat automatically get more funding regardless of how competitive they are on scientific merits.
rj40 wrote:Or maybe fighting off time is just too hard. Notice how we hear about children with that ageing disease (Progeria), but you never hear about adults that have something of equal severity on the flip-side: “She’s 110 years old today, but physically she is about 52.” You never hear that except in science fiction.
This is because there are a large number of mechanisms which cause aging, and a fair number of different genes that hold it back, and in the end whichever aging mechanism is unaddressed will be the first one that kills you or necrotizes your tissues. That is to say, if you want to slow down aging, you need several new genes and mutations to be introduced, which is very hard to do all at once. But if you want to radically increase it, as with progeria, you just need to mess up one thing, and that'll be the one that ages you.
rj40 wrote:On a related but really unrelated note, you rarely hear about people suffering from hallucinations and voices telling them to do good things. Why is that? You never hear stories like: “These voices Doc, they have been telling me to avoid drugs, stay in school, and invest for long-term growth for years now. I exercise regularly, but not to excess because of them. I work hard, but not too hard, because of them. I eat right, but occasionally indulge myself because of them. If it wasn’t for the voices I’d be a drug addict living in a wet cardboard box on south main. And yet hear I am. A multi-billionaire, retired at 32 and helping poor inner-city yutes stay out of trouble. What gives?”
I read an article on this once. It suggested that voices are radically underreported because all the benign ones are ignored or welcomed. Nobody wants the stigma of being crazy, so if you hear a voice telling you to do your homework and walk the dog, you just accept it and forgo the psych visit. I'm not sure if I completely trust the article though - it was supposedly based on a study showing that one in ten people had heard at least one disembodied voice at one time in their lives, which seems mindbogglingly high to me.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I have heard the voice. It told me to have children. It was on me for about 3 months before I got with the program. I was 38 at the time and my mate was 34. One of the best decisions I ever made (4 children later).

BTW I had absolutely no intention of raising a family when I started going out with my mate. She wanted a family. When I started hearing the voice she was unsure and as time went on I became more sure.

As to physiology: I attribute it to mild schizophrenia which seems helpful in creative pursuits according to research I have read.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Let me add that lots of creative types seem to have the "problem" and it often manifests late in life as severe depression. Godel is a prime example. There are many others.

You don't get any gift without a price.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I would say the process that "recognizes" voices (that sifts through ideas) will never consciously dissociate a "normal" suggestion from oneself and into a "voice", unlike it would a "strange" one. The dissociation would probably be an analogous defense mechanism to the one that denies or deflects responsibility for something worth feeling guilty about. A "repressed impulse" sort of algorithm.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

As I recall, people average 1 major psycotic episode a decade and 1 minor one a year. Much higher at a younger age (3-5 major events in your teens). If you like, you may call them disassociative events. Minor episodes range from big deja-vu and ghost experiences (someone walking on your grave) to minor visual and audio hallucinations. That would include a non-destructive voice or urge. Think of it as the voice of your conscience. (why is it scie rather than scei?) This is normal and probably fairly healthy.

Resveratrol represents a new major class of medications, Sirtuin agonists. How much of their in vitro action in humans is pharmacological and how much is pyscological is debatable. The body can't readily absorb it and what does get in the blood is rapidly metabolised (half-life in minutes). Many clinical studies suggest that if you can get it in the blood stream, it does have statistically significant clinical effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

My opinion is that if you are suffering from a disease that may be amenable to its possible effects, use it immediately. It is not (apparently) harmful, and does seem to be useful. The !!!MAJOR!!! caveat to this is that most (read virtually all) of the available RES is grown, processed, and tested in China. You could not get me to take a Chinese herbal product on a dare. If you go this route, make sure that each batch and shipment is FULLY tested in the US! Not in the EU or a "FDA Approved lab". Better yet, get it from a clinical supply house. Costs more, but if you are worried about your health, a little caution is worth it. Hate the FDA all you want, but it beats heavy metal poisoning any day. Seriously, taking healthfood from China is completely pschizophrenic. Think therapeutic gun shot wounds.

BTW, you are all jealous of me because the voices like me more than you
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Hey pfrit, does that include the night time voices?
I don't know about most people, but I normally keep up a running monologue in my head. How can you tell if there's a 'different' voice?

Has anyone else read very much from the Methuselah foundation's site?
Any comments on the founder's views?

Or, what are your views on biohacking? That is, non-academics experimenting with DNA design and synthesis.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

What does transcription (creation of RNA) have to do with aging?
Sorry, I meant transcription in the more general sense of all protein copying functions. Forgot it's usually used to refer to RNA.
Yes, with the LEF mix my flu and cold symptoms over the last seven years have been so reduced I barely notice them; it's actually hard to tell when I'm sick.

There are some interesting theories about Vitamin C response.

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/dailynew ... itC-RC.htm

Humans lost the gene to make Vitamin C some time ago, making us somewhat unique among mammals.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

JohnSmith wrote:Hey pfrit, does that include the night time voices?
I don't know about most people, but I normally keep up a running monologue in my head. How can you tell if there's a 'different' voice?

Has anyone else read very much from the Methuselah foundation's site?
Any comments on the founder's views?

Or, what are your views on biohacking? That is, non-academics experimenting with DNA design and synthesis.
In order,

Talking to yourself is healthy, but when it becomes a true dialog it is time to see a doctor. :)

To me, his ideas seem well thought out and his plans seem feasible and practical. Remember, he is planning for the first practical results at 25 years.

I am a libertarian and as such, it is all good. Illegalize it and only criminal amateurs will be doing research. Find me any field of endevour that has not had significant contributions from amateurs and hobbyists(sp?). My favorite example is Carbine Williams. Guess what? Freedom has costs. Anyone who exchanges hard won liberties for short-lived security will get and deserve niether. I love getting to use those kinds of quotes.
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:
What does transcription (creation of RNA) have to do with aging?
Sorry, I meant transcription in the more general sense of all protein copying functions. Forgot it's usually used to refer to RNA.
Yes, with the LEF mix my flu and cold symptoms over the last seven years have been so reduced I barely notice them; it's actually hard to tell when I'm sick.

There are some interesting theories about Vitamin C response.

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/dailynew ... itC-RC.htm

Humans lost the gene to make Vitamin C some time ago, making us somewhat unique among mammals.
I have actually tested the Vitamin C response. It works. You don't need diarrhea to calibrate. When the dose is high enough you tend to fart a lot. It is important to take calcium supplements or eat a lot of cheese with the Cs.

My maximum rate was about 3 to 5 grams an hour. Results in about 3 days - similar to antibiotics without the problems of reintroducing stomach flora and fauna.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

pfrit,

You'd be surprised how much stuff we consume comes from China.

They're still relatively poor and corrupt, but they take quality control seriously; when there are problems, people are executed. I would rate them about the same as Mexico. Independent testing never hurts though.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

TallDave wrote:pfrit,

You'd be surprised how much stuff we consume comes from China.

They're still relatively poor and corrupt, but they take quality control seriously; when there are problems, people are executed. I would rate them about the same as Mexico. Independent testing never hurts though.
Note that I said "Herbal". When they make products for export only, their bad track record gets worse. How many people where executed for using lead paint on toys for export to the US? Heck, the whole melamine problem wasn't a problem to the chinese until it started showing up in the internal food stuffs. The simple fact is that when their herbal products (that are not used internally) are checked, they have an annoying habit of containing heavy metals, toxins, and low doses of what they are supposed to contain(remember L-Triptophan). It has gotten better now that more importers do their own tests on the product rather than trust the chinese "FDA approved" lab tests required for import. But unless you check, you just don't know. Call me paranoid, but I am old enough to remember too many of these incidents.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

How many people where executed for using lead paint on toys for export to the US?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_worl ... r_exp.html
China food & drug czar executed after export woes

China is caught in a PR catastrophe after a series of export scandals: toothpaste tainted with antifreeze; contaminated pet food that killed as many as 4,000 American dogs and cats; lead paint on Thomas the Tank Engine toys; eggs colored with a carcinogenic industrial dye and frozen fish laden with pesticides
It's a problem, but it's hard to avoid things made in China now.

rj40

Post by rj40 »

rj40 wrote: If the situation became too crowded, one would expect equal numbers of old and young to survive, barring the ability of the older to learn (I’m assuming very early in evolution and very simple critters and plants).
MirariNefas wrote: This is a commonly advanced purpose for aging, but you know, evolution doesn't care how new your genes are - just how effective. In theory there wouldn't be anything wrong with parents competing with offspring. If your offspring don't have genes as effective as yours, then it's a good thing you live a long time and can keep having children with different combinations of genes until one of them is your match, right?

This doesn't apply when parents have an advantage over children simply from being older, though. A conifer may produce a seed with truly
excellent genetics, which could truly grow and outcompete its parents, but that seedling will never grow on the forest floor until its parents have been cleared out and it has a bare patch to start on. Or, to come back to the topicality of this forum, it's well and good for tokamak projects to compete with the polywell, theoretically, except that they're older and more established so they somewhat automatically get more funding regardless of how competitive they are on scientific merits.

I was assuming that more young would mean more chances for mutations. Most of these mutations would be bad of course (death before reproduction), but a few hopeful monsters would still pop-up here and there. Maybe that is not true?

I imagine several groups of isolated life forms using sexual reproduction to propagate their species. One or two of those groups live very long and end up competing with their young. The rest live "normal" life spans and don't compete as much with their young. Their young have more of a chance to go on living and having more kids. Assuming the already born life forms don't sprout new appendages or brain cells in response to life stresses, isn't it the young and their chance for deformities (some of which just might be useful) that offer the chance for the species to evolve? It seems to me that competing with your kids will, in the long run, result in your kids having fewer kids of their own. But the life forms that age and die will, overall, compete less with their kids, so their kids will have more of a chance to have kids of their own. More chances at hopeful monsters. Then the same for their kids and so on.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

rj40 wrote:I was assuming that more young would mean more chances for mutations. Most of these mutations would be bad of course (death before reproduction), but a few hopeful monsters would still pop-up here and there. Maybe that is not true?
The part where you mention how most mutations are bad is a key point though. We have a lot of cellular mechanisms specifically trying to keep us from having too many mutations.

Imagine a world where parents compete with offspring, but you remove a few of those genetic mechanisms that repress mutations (or weaken them a little, anyway). This could ultimately acheive evolution very well. The higher mutation rate among offspring would allow quicker adaption to changing environments and the like, but the stable parental survival ensures the continued maintenance and success of the most effective genes (so that they wouldn't accidentally mutate away). The key requirement is that offspring have the ability to push out their parents when their genes are better, though. This doesn't work too well with trees, but it might work well with a species prone to a continuing culling mechanism, like predation or starvation.
rj40 wrote:I imagine several groups of isolated life forms using sexual reproduction to propagate their species. One or two of those groups live very long and end up competing with their young. The rest live "normal" life spans and don't compete as much with their young. Their young have more of a chance to go on living and having more kids.
Ah, but that last assumption only follows if the young have an inferior capability of competing with their parents - meaning poor genes, meaning poor evolutionary results. Look, in evolution, more competition is a good thing. It makes the most fit survive. Having the fit randomly die off as a function of age puts a limit on how much good genes can proliferate.