N.A.U.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rcain

Post by rcain »

djolds1 wrote: Point I'm trying to make is that the "tomato base" culture of the US is English Settler. The rest are minor spices added to the soup.
Duane
no need to bring the italians in to it at this stage i think. and i'm not sure the native American indians would like to be referred to as mere 'spice in the soup', an aftertaste perhaps.

your point is well made. however, it is my understanding that there are many regional variations to this principle. the US is to all intents and purposes a subcontinent under a single currency and a single flag.
djolds1 wrote: The age of fetishized rationality has died concurrently in all previous civilizations at the same point.
so what is your prediction for the future 500 years?

rcain

Post by rcain »

ravingdave wrote: The Media would take every false story about McCain/Pallin and amplify it and repeat it.
...that is after all what media do.
ravingdave wrote: Maybe you see things differently, but I can't conceive of this election being even remotely fair and square. Neither was the one in 1992,1994,2000,2004,2006,2008.

Actually, I can't remeber a fair election in which the Media didn't try to pitch their candidate while disguising it as news.
David
i see it differently in that i 'expect' to observe significant bias in media coverage. we brits are no strangers to that phenomenon after all.

from our perspective, there were at least two 'partisan' media camps running, each using pretty much whatever tactic was to their perceived end-game advantage.

but of course the Republicans knew they couldn't win before they started. so did the media. (So too did the American people, statistically speaking). the media 'produce' the story according to audience ratings, circulation and perhaps 'credibility'.

libel and slander become part of the war-chest. so too, scandal, the fall from power of the elite, simply reflecting (or testing) a popular mood is news in itself. historically speaking, backing the winners is a lot better position to be in than stuck with the losers.

'vote with your remote' (i should add 'or go online or join the line' - as significantly many also did).
Last edited by rcain on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

olivier

Post by olivier »

djolds wrote:And to any French members, yes, I indulge in the Anglosphere's traditional French-bashing from time to time. Feel free to retaliate.:evil:
How could I resist temptation? Nevertheless I opt for a graduated response and a surprise attack since I know that otherwise I will be outnumbered.
I am a Norman. My ancestors conquered England in 1066. If notre Duc Guillaume (our Duke William) had not had this stupid horse accident a few years later when besieging Paris, he would have conquered France too. And you yankees would not be discussing this multilingual NAU. Instead you would all be speaking Norman just like the wise people of Jersey and Guernsey. Listen to the BBC and learn the language.

rcain

Post by rcain »

olivier wrote:
djolds wrote:And to any French members, yes, I indulge in the Anglosphere's traditional French-bashing from time to time. Feel free to retaliate.:evil:
How could I resist temptation? Nevertheless I opt for a graduated response and a surprise attack since I know that otherwise I will be outnumbered.
I am a Norman. My ancestors conquered England in 1066. If notre Duc Guillaume (our Duke William) had not had this stupid horse accident a few years later when besieging Paris, he would have conquered France too. And you yankees would not be discussing this multilingual NAU. Instead you would all be speaking Norman just like the wise people of Jersey and the Channel Islands.
ah yes those 'persistent' Normans. almost as persistent as those 'indelible' Skandawegians. Or those Etruscan leaving their artifacts and tile mosaics all over the place.

i agree, a bit of 'tribe' bashing can a lot to restore sensible relations or obviate ludicracy.

if only the Americans could play proper 'rugby' football like the rest of us, or Australian rules if they must.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

rcain wrote:
djolds1 wrote: Point I'm trying to make is that the "tomato base" culture of the US is English Settler. The rest are minor spices added to the soup.
Duane
no need to bring the italians in to it at this stage i think.
:twisted:
rcain wrote:and i'm not sure the native American indians would like to be referred to as mere 'spice in the soup', an aftertaste perhaps.
They would be the small bits of beef that were ground into hamburger, browned in a skillet, and then thrown into the mix. :wink:
rcain wrote:your point is well made. however, it is my understanding that there are many regional variations to this principle. the US is to all intents and purposes a subcontinent under a single currency and a single flag.
There are regional variations. As I said previously, the US is a memetic nation, not a blood and soil nation. But historically the universal binder for the Anglo-European regions has been the English Protestant Work Ethic Culture.
rcain wrote:
djolds1 wrote:The age of fetishized rationality has died concurrently in all previous civilizations at the same point.
so what is your prediction for the future 500 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spengler%2 ... tion_model
http://www.johnreilly.info/cont.htm
http://www.johnreilly.info/oncwg.htm

Reilly overestimates the potential for world unification by underestimating human fractiousness IMO, but the general timeline for the coalescence of the West into one "Imperial" regime (not unlike Imperial China) holds up.

Note that "Imperial" in this metahistorical sense means something far different than "The British Empire." An "Empire" of this sort is almost esoteric. It is the permanent curator of a frozen ("complete") culture. That frozen culture can collapse/regenerate ad infinitum (Egypt, China) or die completely after a few centuries (Mediterranean Antiquity).

The later is best IMO, allowing the resumption of scientific progress and inquiry from fresh and unexplored perspectives. The curatorial Empire of Antiquity almost managed to reconstitute itself in the Holy Roman Empire.

IMO, absent the Romulan Star Empire, or at least Jovian Federation, the largest possible "Imperial" zones are civilizational Blocs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations

Huntington may get a few of the details wrong, but his general thesis of distinct civilizations is correct IMO.

The Orthodox zone seems to be in its final death throes.
The Latin zone may or may not fully assimilate into the West. As of now it is an eccentric offshoot.

Duane
Vae Victis

rcain

Post by rcain »

i note that wiki hadn't bothered to fill out the 'political' schema section. and there didn't seem to be a 'technological' schema either, or an economic one, at least directly. is that because they are considered unimportant?

if so, i have to disagree.

in particular, i think some aspects of current civilization have passed 'points of no return'. one being our technological dependencies and capabilities, an at 'individual' level as well as 'political' and military levels.
from communications technology though to agriculture and trade.

or else there will be some horrible man-made disaster and we should be properly decimated and consumed by a dark-age.

prostitutes, lawyers, accountants, astronomers and alchemists will all re-emerge again from the chaos in proper order. not to mention real-politik aparatchik.

in fact they never disappear.
djolds1 wrote: IMO, absent the Romulan Star Empire, or at least Jovian Federation, the largest possible "Imperial" zones are civilizational Blocs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations

Duane
I'm with the Borg myself, as you know, but hedging my bets with a flutter on peremptory intervention by the Vulcans - as seen in the movie/'historical documents' - yes it does happen, just like BFR must happen else how are they gonna get the Bussard Skoop.... either way, an entertaining trek-citation always wins points, imho.

so, can you speak Chinese?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

rcain wrote:i note that wiki hadn't bothered to fill out the 'political' schema section. and there didn't seem to be a 'technological' schema either, or an economic one, at least directly. is that because they are considered unimportant?

if so, i have to disagree.
Spengler's schema is indicative, not exact. For instance, I think he got the timing for the maturation of Western science wrong by more than a century. Its only now that a GUT is beginning to look probable.

But the general pattern does hold across multiple civilizations.

As to technology, that is entirely dependent on the science of a civilization. A science based on Aristotelian precepts or ch'i/qi is going to allow much more limited technological options than one based on Maxwell's equations and Heisenberg's Quantum Mechanics. Similarly, economics is in many ways proscribed by the civilization's world view. In both cases, if you can't imagine it you probably can't do it.
rcain wrote:in particular, i think some aspects of current civilization have passed 'points of no return'. one being our technological dependencies and capabilities, an at 'individual' level as well as 'political' and military levels.
from communications technology though to agriculture and trade.

or else there will be some horrible man-made disaster and we should be properly decimated and consumed by a dark-age.
IMO the GUT will signal the end of Western science. Technological elaboration will continue, but the basics it is based on will stagnate.

In part this will be a result of the discrediting of academia. The out of control nature of modern humanities scholarship has parallels in previous civilizations. Eventually the psychosis of the intelligentsia discredits not just humanities scholarship, but all scholarship. People become satisfied with the status quo and want the endless instability of late modernity to end. And it does end.

What scares me is that the science community will settle for a GUT that is a POS, which they know is a POS, but which they settle on due to simple exhaustion and dissipated ambition.

See ITER/Tokamaks for an object lesson in dissipated scientific ambition. Decades spent plugging away at something that has been an obvious blind alley for nearly as long. But they plug away regardless. Eventually such types ask the question "why am I bothering?"
rcain wrote:I'm with the Borg myself, as you know, but hedging my bets with a flutter on peremptory intervention by the Vulcans - as seen in the movie/'historical documents' - yes it does happen, just like BFR must happen else how are they gonna get the Bussard Skoop.... either way, an entertaining trek-citation always wins points, imho.
:D

If Heim drive plays out, screw it all and ta ta to all. Me and my 10,000 closest friends will be heading out. Care to join?

Of course, same same with QED rockets powered by Bussards, but the scale and rate of possible dispersal is more limited.

And I always found the Romulans to be the most interesting. Coldly calculating yet passionate, honorable yet devious, vicious yet recognizably compassionate. Like the Mirror Universe, they are far more interesting than the Feddies and the overly hormonalized Klingons. Unlike all other empires in Trek, their people don't get typecast into one role. And they have sufficient ruthlessness to realize their ambitions.

Duane
Vae Victis

rcain

Post by rcain »

djolds1
i'm sort of with you on the
'...but the basics it is based on will stagnate.
as to space travel, count me in. although i would like to be in deep hibernation/frozen for the duration please. i accept the disclaimer on the genetic modifications required for me to attempt this. my only condition, is that Nelix, Troy and other 'irritating' characters are flushed from the airlock prior to my coming on board

Romulans yes, they still got bad hair though, init. :)
i'm still quite entertained by the elusive species 8472 and Q, myself.
Data should def be top man, vastly superior life-form.

to think at least three generations of 'human kind' have grown up with Trek in some incarnation on their TV screens. quite an achievement.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

rcain wrote:as to space travel, count me in. although i would like to be in deep hibernation/frozen for the duration please. i accept the disclaimer on the genetic modifications required for me to attempt this. my only condition, is that Nelix, Troy and other 'irritating' characters are flushed from the airlock prior to my coming on board
Hibernation technologies are still primitive, but the hydrogen sulfide mechanism has promise.

And my preferred model is the Battlestar Galactica Rag Tag Fleet. Albeit properly fitted out. :)

Duane
Vae Victis

alexjrgreen

N.A.U.

Post by alexjrgreen »

MSimon wrote:English is the manufactured language. It has German and French roots. Spanish additions. A smattering of Yiddish and of course loads of other additions.
German? Spanish? Where's your sense of history... ?

The people who became known as the English were speaking Frisian (Germanic but definitely not German) at least a thousand years before German and Spanish were even thought of...

The Romans brought Latin and Greek, the Angles, Saxons and Jutes brought Anglo-Saxon (again Germanic but still not German) and the Norsemen brought rather poorly pronounced French.

I prefer "mongrel" to "manufactured", but I grant you that King Alfred tried quite hard to create a standard Anglo-Saxon.
MSimon wrote:If we want to advantage the new additions it is best they learn American.
Different language? ;-)
Ars artis est celare artem.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

djolds1 wrote:
MirariNefas wrote:If other states join the US in some kind of superstate, the get to vote in the new policymaking apparatus. I'd think that, compared to current domination by the US, that would be an improvement.
It would be pro forma, without substance. A primus inter pares would not surrender that preeminence for the sake of fairness.
You're saying what would happen to fit US goals, then saying it wouldn't happen based on Mexican goals. I'm saying what would happen to fit Mexican goals, and I admit this wouldn't happen based on US goals. If it would happen, there's two possibilities: US or Mexican mentality changes. By focusing on the interests of Mexico and Canada, I've implied one option: US mentality changes. I think this is the more plausible scenario.

Of course America today wouldn't want to do this. They'd need a serious reduction in their relative power to contemplate giving up any power to Mexico or Canada. They'd also need to incorporate levels of population in ways that they'd feel wouldn't radically change their politics, thus a smaller Mexico and an opposite mentality Canada to balance. It would be easier if Mexico could be broken into parts, but of course that's impossible.

I'd like to specifically point out, however, that I'm not thinking of an American EU, with hobbled state actors and highly seperate policies and militaries. I'm hoping for something with strong Federal powers, ultimately acting something like a single nation.
djolds1 wrote:
MirariNefas wrote:We may not have the Romulan Star Empire to galvanize us, but the Earth is a big place.
IMO the largest possible Identity Blocs are Continental/Civilizational. Not Global.
Agreed. That's why I brought up China and said the Earth is a big place. Maybe the US can maintain relevance without becoming a larger state. I hope you're right. But I hear a lot of apocalyptic projections in the news about the US losing a lot of its power and China gaining a lot, along with others. With so many people in China and India, and the high economic growth rate of developing nations, it's hard not to see this as inevitable. A highly multipolar world scares me, and I hope it scares US politicians. One way or another, we need one dominant superpower to keep things stable.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

if only the Americans could play proper 'rugby' football like the rest of us, or Australian rules if they must.
I must note that the American Super Bowl is a world wide attraction.

I'm reminded of a story (true? who knows) of a German military attache who saw an American football game pre WW2. His comment went something like: if we have to fight these people we don't stand a chance.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Heh, football is about as close to war as a sport can get. Most of the rules in place today are there because so many people used to die in the early games.

Underestimating Western martial spirit has been the undoing of more than a few wannabe tyrant leaders. From Xerxes to Hirohito to Osama bin Laden, they have learned to their detriment that free men will fight with unmatched ferocity and cunning.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

rcain wrote:I'm with the Borg myself
You do know the Borg ultimately lost when they couldn't innovate and adapt fast enough to keep up with the individuals in the Federation.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

MSimon wrote:I'm reminded of a story (true? who knows) of a German military attache who saw an American football game pre WW2. His comment went something like: if we have to fight these people we don't stand a chance.
Now if we could make that impression on enough people, maybe we'd have a chance of a Pax Americana truly breaking out.