LHC Breakdown

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

LHC Breakdown

Post by Aero »

This is interesting, unfortunately it is only the usual "no detail" gossip news report. Pointing the finger over the LHC breakdown.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 626728.ece
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

This was discussed here. I think it was the American eqpt that was insufficient to withstand the forces.

I think if you do some searching you can find more details. The date on the article was 8 April 008.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Simon - April was last spring, the LHC was completed, turned on and broke this fall. Are you saying that you knew last spring that the LHC was going to break when they turned it on?
Aero

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Maybe he was smoking something that gave him the vision ;)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

As I read the article it broke in preliminary testing.

Now if it broke again how about a more current link?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Maybe he was smoking something that gave him the vision ;)
I blame Carl Sagan.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Aero, that article is from April 2007. I don't think it has much relevance to the LHC's recent travails.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-sci ... 2008-09-20

Here's the most recent one I remember: a helium leak in a transformer. According to this article, they should be wrapping up repairs around now.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Aero

Post by Aero »

So it is - April - I blame Google. I usually (almost always) put a date range on my searches for new information. Sorry Simon.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:So it is - April - I blame Google. I usually (almost always) put a date range on my searches for new information. Sorry Simon.
No problem. I'm not above slinging a little unwarranted invective occasionally. :-) A taste of my own medicine from time to time curbs the worst excesses. ;-)

Aero

Post by Aero »

Some old pictures, and one new picture of the damage. (According to Google :) )
http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/dn1 ... ggs-hunt/1
Aero

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

List of accidents at LHC lifted from Wikopedia.

'American made' (Ferilab) magnet design flaw found March 2007 was unrelated to this Fall's accident (I assume).

"Construction accidents and delays
On 25 October 2005, a technician was killed in the LHC tunnel when a crane load was accidentally dropped.[43]
On 27 March 2007 a cryogenic magnet support broke during a pressure test involving one of the LHC's inner triplet (focusing quadrupole) magnet assemblies, provided by Fermilab and KEK. No one was injured. Fermilab director Pier Oddone stated "In this case we are dumbfounded that we missed some very simple balance of forces". This fault had been present in the original design, and remained during four engineering reviews over the following years.[44] Analysis revealed that its design, made as thin as possible for better insulation, was not strong enough to withstand the forces generated during pressure testing. Details are available in a statement from Fermilab, with which CERN is in agreement.[45][46] Repairing the broken magnet and reinforcing the eight identical assemblies used by LHC delayed the startup date,[47] then planned for November 2007.
Wikinews has related news: CERN says repairs to LHC particle accelerator to cost US$21 million
Problems with a magnet quench on 19 September 2008 caused a leak of six tonnes of liquid helium, and delayed the operation for several months.[48] The LHC is expected to be restarted in summer 2009.[8][9] It is currently believed that a faulty electrical connection between two magnets ignited a spark, which compromised the liquid-helium cooling. Once the cooling layer was broken, the helium flooded the surrounding vacuum layer with sufficient force to break 10-ton magnets from their mountings. The explosion also contaminated the proton tubes with soot.[9][49]"

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.