The Hard Stuff Is Pretty Slick

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

The Hard Stuff Is Pretty Slick

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

I wonder if you could make a paint for airplanes with that. If it really reduces drag all that much, the savings could be pretty substantial.

Damon Hill

Post by Damon Hill »

Aren't friction and drag essentially two different things? Here we're dealing with two solids, not a solid surface and a fluid.

Aero

Post by Aero »

One component of aerodynamic drag is viscous friction drag.
Aircraft are painted and waxed to reduce viscous friction.
A hard surface is not necessarily a smooth surface. Aircraft skin also flexes under aerodynamic forces so the coating must not fracture when flexed. I don't think the linked article gave enough detailed information to make any kind of judgment as to its applicability to aircraft coatings.

I was thinking about using it to coat the teeth of meshing gears, but of course gears are a specialty all their own.
Aero

Post by 93143 »

It might be of use if it can improve resistance to icing and random dings. Otherwise, I suspect there isn't much advantage, particularly for large aircraft where basically the entire boundary layer is turbulent anyway. It's not like having a super smooth coating relaxes the no-slip condition...

No, coatings like this are more for reducing friction between mechanical parts, and increasing said parts' resistance to abrasion, and such.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

On the other hand, it might be very useful inside the engine. I wonder what the temperature effects are on the material?