Ocean Current could provide Power for 15 Billion People

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

joedead

Ocean Current could provide Power for 15 Billion People

Post by joedead »

Off topic, but interesting none the less. I thought some engineers might be interested....

http://sciencepal.blogspot.com/2008/11/ ... d-say.html

One question: why Detroit? :roll:

drmike

Post by drmike »

That's pretty cool! I wonder what the wear and tear is on the power generator section.

It fits in with the field of "energy harvesting", but on a much larger scale.

Thanks for posting it!

olivier

Post by olivier »

I have heard of this project of a tidal turbine farm in the English Channel using an innovative technology from the Irish company OpenHydro (read the press kit). I do not know if EDF is seriously committed to it. All I can tell is that the fishermen are unhappy because it will impinge on fishing areas.
Last edited by olivier on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Science Pal Blog wrote:A "field" of cylinders built on the sea bed over a 1km by 1.5km area, and the height of a two-storey house, with a flow of just three knots, could generate enough power for around 100,000 homes.
At some point the current moves up and over or around the array and they get nothing. Where is that point and what does exceeding it do to the rest of the system?

Aero

Post by Aero »

I sure hope the BFR works because I'd hate to see the political and engineering snarl from trying to make these things work reliably.
Aero

seedload

Post by seedload »

Aero wrote:I sure hope the BFR works because I'd hate to see the political and engineering snarl from trying to make these things work reliably.
... or the news reports about how windmills and ocean current socks are changing winds and currents to cause <fill in the blank> climate change.

millermj

Post by millermj »

Today's paper had an writeup on a company that has filed applications to build wave to energy projects off Rhode Island, California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey.

http://www.projo.com/news/environment/c ... 53604.html

The company has a website but not much info yet.

http://graysharboroceanenergy.com/
"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Ins't a bit sad that here we are on the forum of one of the most important potential energy sources in all of history, and we are talking about wave energy and ocean current energy.
Rick, we beseech you, let us know what is happening!