Manipulation

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

jmc wrote:Oh God here we go again!

1)Carbon dioxide concentrations have changed by about a quarter since the industrial revolution.
True.
2)There is a noticeable historic correlation between CO2 levels and global mean temperatures.
I wouldn't say historic. Besides, we find that most of the northern hemisphere was coming out of a "little ice age" when we see CO2 level's beginning to rise, which is what you should expect when getting out of a ice age, no matter how small.

Consider this also CO2 is one of the weaker green house gases, water vapor is a lot better at trapping heat. And yet we don't factor that in.

3)Today both CO2 levels are at their highest levels in 10,000 years, and we've been getting the warmest summers in centuries.

We don't have enough accurate data to say that it's the highest in
10, 000 years.

The warming as I said could be easily be a natural cause, such as the process from coming out of a "little ice age".

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

Every time this subject gets brought up I make the same argument.

Every time I make the argument it seems NO ONE GET'S IT!

If you get my argument, you realize instantly that Global Warming is Crap. The fact that the topic is still discussed is what leads me to believe no one gets the argument.

Here's the argument.

The Spectral Absorbtion Characteristics of WATER VAPOR !

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/absorbspec.gif

Water vapor does what C02 does, but X times better.

Here, read the whole thing.

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

One more thing, if you don't understand what positive and negative feedback means, you won't understand the argument.

David

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

gblaze42 -

Here is a detailed rebuttal of the "little ice age" hypothesis (written as a polemic).

http://home.iprimus.com.au/nielsens/medieval.html

and here, for balance, is a "little ice age" anti-GW polemic
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Read both and see which is more grounded in scientific fact.

Now read the 2007 IPCC FAQ on whether current rate of temp change is unusual in geologic terms. Does this strike you as unbalanced, polemic, politically biassed?

http://www.gcrio.org/ipcc/ar4/wg1/faq/ar4wg1faq-6-2.pdf

(an extract)
IPCC2007FAQ wrote: The main reason for the current concern about climate change is the rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration (and some other greenhouse gases), which is very unusual for the Quaternary
(about the last two million years). The concentration of CO2 is now known accurately for the past 650,000 years from antarctic ice cores. During this time, CO2 concentration varied between a low of 180 ppm during cold glacial times and a high of 300 ppm during warm interglacials. Over the past century, it rapidly increased well out of this range, and is now 379 ppm (see Chapter 2). For comparison,
the approximately 80-ppm rise in CO2 concentration at the end of the past ice ages generally took over 5,000 years. Higher values than at present have only occurred many millions of years ago

Tom

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

ravingdave -

The wonderful thing about these arguments is that they are complex. Look at one side and it seems obvious.

So - read again your Milloy (who has a distinct political biass in what science he chooses to debunk!) article, and compare the science in it with this article:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=220

Milloy Junk Science: http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Then, comparing the two, tell me what is obvious?

Tom

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

tomclarke wrote:gblaze42 -

Here is a detailed rebuttal of the "little ice age" hypothesis (written as a polemic).

http://home.iprimus.com.au/nielsens/medieval.html

and here, for balance, is a "little ice age" anti-GW polemic
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Read both and see which is more grounded in scientific fact.

Now read the 2007 IPCC FAQ on whether current rate of temp change is unusual in geologic terms. Does this strike you as unbalanced, polemic, politically biassed?

http://www.gcrio.org/ipcc/ar4/wg1/faq/ar4wg1faq-6-2.pdf

(an extract)
IPCC2007FAQ wrote: The main reason for the current concern about climate change is the rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration (and some other greenhouse gases), which is very unusual for the Quaternary
(about the last two million years). The concentration of CO2 is now known accurately for the past 650,000 years from antarctic ice cores. During this time, CO2 concentration varied between a low of 180 ppm during cold glacial times and a high of 300 ppm during warm interglacials. Over the past century, it rapidly increased well out of this range, and is now 379 ppm (see Chapter 2). For comparison,
the approximately 80-ppm rise in CO2 concentration at the end of the past ice ages generally took over 5,000 years. Higher values than at present have only occurred many millions of years ago
Tom
I wouldn't choose those two sites personally, as it seems to be biased towards the one.
I think a better site is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

And I did read each. I have to say I'm not convinced, the typical time needed for CO2 to travel into the higher atmosphere and to travel globally is 40 years. The effects we are having now was caused by CO2 emissions 40 years ago. Now I'm not saying we haven't added to GW but I don't think human's are the major cause. I do believe that solar output has more of an effect.
During the period 1645–1715, in the middle of the Little Ice Age, there was a period of low solar activity known as the Maunder Minimum. A growing body of scientific evidence[28] indicates that there is a correlation between low sunspot activity and cooling temperatures[29]. There is not sufficient data to use sunspot numbers to predict temperatures or climate variance, but the coincidence of low sunspot activity (e.g., the Maunder Minimum) with the deepest trough of the Little Ice Age strongly supports such a connection[30]. The Spörer Minimum has also been identified with a significant cooling period near the beginning of the Little Ice Age. Other indicators of low solar activity during this period are levels of the isotopes carbon-14 and beryllium-10.[31]. Space Scientists are publicly expressing concern that the last half of the 20th Century may have been unusually warm only because the sun was unusually active.[32] [33]
See also here http://www.nrsp.com/article-Patterson-0 ... oling.html and
here http://www.earthweek.com/2008/ew080613/ew080613a.html

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

tomclarke wrote:ravingdave -

The wonderful thing about these arguments is that they are complex. Look at one side and it seems obvious.

So - read again your Milloy (who has a distinct political biass in what science he chooses to debunk!) article, and compare the science in it with this article:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=220

Milloy Junk Science: http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Then, comparing the two, tell me what is obvious?

Tom
I agree with you about Steve Milloy. I've read other articles by him which I thought were silly and sensless.

I looked at your article. I saw nothing which changes the basic facts as I understand them.

3/4ths of the planet is covered by oceans. The vast bulk of the surface that absorbs solar energy is water. Water gets converted to water vapor. Water vapor absorbs far more wavelengths of solar energy than anything else in the atmosphere.

It therefore stands to reason that water vapor is far more significant than any other factor in determining the atmospheric temperature.

A basic fact is that diffusion increases with temperature, and water vapor is no different. The hotter the surface, the more water vapor is produced. As water vapor is far stronger of an absorber of solar radiation, the effect should be that of a runaway greenhouse effect.

Obviously it isn't. As a matter of fact, just the fact that we are alive proves that water CANNOT be a positive feedback effect. It MUST be a negative feedback effect. When I first realized this, I didn't know why, I just knew it had to be so.

I have since read that satelite imagery has determined that the reflectivity of high atmospheric water vapor in cloud form is more than enough to make up for it's absorbing characteristics. Ergo, water vapor is a negative feedback effect, and therefore is the prime source of the temperature regulating mechanism of the planet.

The more water vapor in the atmosphere, the greater the reflectivity and the less energy gets absorbed by the planet. We have a defacto negative feedback temperature control system.

While we're on the subject, i've thought of this next item, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

When a ball of air is heated it expands. The hotter it gets, the larger it gets. If global temperature increases then the atmosphere expands outward into space, thereby increasing the surface area able to radiate heat energy into the vacum. It also pushes outward the point at which the atmosphere intercepts the solar radiation. More negative feedback effects.

David

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

ravingdave wrote:

I have since read that satelite imagery has determined that the reflectivity of high atmospheric water vapor in cloud form is more than enough to make up for it's absorbing characteristics. Ergo, water vapor is a negative feedback effect, and therefore is the prime source of the temperature regulating mechanism of the planet.

The more water vapor in the atmosphere, the greater the reflectivity and the less energy gets absorbed by the planet. We have a defacto negative feedback temperature control system.
There is water vapor and then there is water vapor that forms into droplets that are big enough to form clouds. One does not necessitate how the other will work. True clouds are good reflectors and could actually be a good way to deflect sunlight. There is still plenty of water vapor around us that does not reflect sunlight, humidity is a good example of this.
When a ball of air is heated it expands. The hotter it gets, the larger it gets. If global temperature increases then the atmosphere expands outward into space, thereby increasing the surface area able to radiate heat energy into the vacum. It also pushes outward the point at which the atmosphere intercepts the solar radiation. More negative feedback effects.
This depends on where the heating is taking place, most of the global warming is close to the surface of the planet. In fact the troposphere is much cooler than usual.
See here http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php/fuse ... ry_id/2030

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... n-sky.html

Now the heat pipe analogy is not exact. But it does mean that the delta T for heat transport may not be as large as is assumed for fixed layers without convection.

The current computer models do not do convection well because they grid the earth into "squares" 125 mi on a side (IIRC) and convection tubes are on the order of a few miles across at most.

A "good" model ought to grid in 1 mile on a side squares. However, computers would have to be 15,000 times faster (minimum) to handle that. A better model would have a grid .1 mi on a side. Requiring a speed improvement of 1.5 million minimum. Add in a vertical resolution improvement of 10 to 100 and considerable improvement of the interaction between atmospheric water vapor, aerosols, and cosmic rays and basically you have a problem that is:

1. Currently not well understood
2. And even if well understood is not computable

Let me add that the current measurement density (to get initial conditions) is totally inadequate esp WRT oceans. We have whole continents (South America, Africa) that are not well instrumented even WRT current models.

Not to mention ocean currents, salinity, etc. etc. etc.

Plant growth.

Micro scale phase changes of water vapor.

Solar variability is not well understood and not included in the models.

And out of this steaming pile we expect to predict future climate?

==

Plasma physics is more constrained. The details are nearly "perfectly" understood and we can't compute that except in the most general way (i.e. ideas about trends and orders of magnitude re: results) and you may get some feel for why I'm not a big fan of any climate predictions.

If you think that we would need 1E9 more computer power to do the job and assuming a doubling every 2 years of computer power that says that it will be about 65 years before we can do adequate climate modeling.

And if the doubling rate for computer power slows in the next 20 years (as expected) it may take a lot longer. Not to mention power rqmts. If it takes 1E9 Watts to run the computer you have a hell of a cooling problem on your hands.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Here is the problem with arguing against AGW.

1) CO2 has gone up due to human's burning stuff.
2) CO2 absorbs IR and behaves as a GHG.
3) Temperature has gone up in the same time period.

Given these facts, it is very simple to claim that there is a causal relationship. You can't easily say, it ain't a problem, given the above facts. I don't think this is a scam. It is just that the above three things seem so obviously related that it is hard for people (scientists) to believe otherwise. And, doomsday is an interesting thing to investigate.

But, it is getting pretty clear that if you happen to have alternate theories, no matter how compelling, it is almost impossible to get published.

JMC Said:
3)Today both CO2 levels are at their highest levels in 10,000 years, and we've been getting the warmest summers in centuries.
Not sure what he was trying to say, but CO2 seems to be higher than it has been in many hundreds of thousands of years. The fact that temperatures are only higher than they have been in centuries rather than hundreds of thousands of years seems to indicate a lack of cause rather than cause. This and your two other points are very disputed, JMC. You should look this stuff up.

The corrected Mann hockey stick:

Another proxy study, sans tree ring data, clearly showing it has been warmer pretty recently.

So, here is the thing. Clearly, temperatures have gone up and down on scales and time frames comparable to our recent warming according to the above diagram. If they have in the past, then why do we assume it is CO2 now that is doing it? If it must be CO2 now, then what was it in the past? If it wasn't CO2 in the past, then why do we think it has to be CO2 now?

tomclark said this:
And global temperatures have increased dramatically over the last 100 years in a way which cannot be explained except as GWG effects.
But temperatures have done this in the past. Again, if it wasn't CO2 then, why assume it must be CO2 now? There has to be some other thing that can cause these temperature differences! Look at the proxy data.

I assume that anyone willing to talk about this topic understands the radiation balance of the planet, right? There is a lot of energy coming in as visible light. There is a lot of energy going out as IR. The main argument about GW being caused by excess CO2 demands that the amount of outgoing IR is reduced (actually delayed) by fractional changes in CO2. Tiny changes in CO2 cause tiny changes in the energy balance. Enough that we notice, but still tiny on the scale of the total amount of energy going out. The point being that it doesn't take much change in CO2 to change the temperature of the atmosphere. At least that is the argument.

Well, if this is true, then it should also be true that tiny changes in the amount of energy coming in would cause enough temperature difference for us to notice. Remember that visible light coming in is partially reflected by the earth and it's atmosphere. This is refered to as the albedo of the planet. Small changes in the albedo can cause tiny but still significant changes to the incoming radiation as reflected light. If there is less reflection, there is more energy coming in. More reflection, less energy coming in. Surprisingly, it takes only fractional changes to the major contributor to the earths albedo to do explain 20th century warming, and probably some past periods of warming as well. A 1% change in cloud cover would do it for example.

Heck, if that were true, it could not only explain modern warming, but small scale warmings of the past as well. Is it possible that clouds cause this warming?

Well, at least one man thinks so. Reference this info from Roy Spencer if you want to see something very interesting. He seems to be able to show that the Pacific Decadal Oscillation is responsible for MOST of the 20th century warming, including the cooling between the 40's and 70's, is probably due to changes in the Earth's albedo.

http://www.weatherquestions.com/Global- ... al-PDO.htm

Fluctuations of temperatures now and fluctuations of temperatures in our recent past (2000 years) explained by a simple hypothosis on a natural cycle. The PDO causes changes in our cloud cover that allow more or less energy in. Here is his take on the relationship:

And, speaking of people who can't get published, how about this 30 year NASA scientist, Miskolczi, who has a rather interesting theory regarding the saturation of the greenhouse effect. He updates some dubious math of the past in a recent paper. Of course to publish he had to leave NASA and publish in his native Hungary.

http://www.met.hu/idojaras/IDOJARAS_vol111_No1_01.pdf

Coincidentally, both Miskolczi and Spencer say that there is likely some warming from CO2, and, coincidentally, they both put it around 0.2 degrees C for the last 100 years, both are saying that this is not a big deal, and both are saying that the models are fundamentally flawed, Spencer because of the lack of clouds being taken into account, and Miskolczi because of fundamental mistakes in the math.

Both are able to show strong coorelations to real data.

AGW is by no way proved or a concensis. Getting published with opposing positions is nearly impossible.

It is not a scam. It is just a natural progression of a flawed assumption based around a few seemingly compelling facts. The boulder is rolling. It will be hard to stop.

Just thought I would chime in.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

I see studies published about daily that have data on both sides of this issue. Nobody is being censored. Most studies, actually, are quite scientifically neutral. Their rhetoric is "We set out to look at X, found Y in the data" and don't conclude one way or another that CO2 is or is not a problem. Because, in fact, nobody can conclude those things, because it's simply too complex, and we haven't come up with a hypothesis that can prove it conclusively one way or the other.

The "political" part of this is really how some politicians are taking sides on the issue. Neccessary, since there are policy decisons to be made (or perhaps not to be made) regarding the subject.

Seeing conspiracies, vast or small, on either side is just politicizing a scientific question more than needs be.

The facts are fascinating, please continue on with their presentations. As soon as you make conjectures about people's motives in conjunction with this, you lose my interest immediately. Bias exists, to be sure, but this doesn't invalidate science. Much as the creationists would like to have us believe.

Mike

seedload

Post by seedload »

Mike Holmes wrote:Nobody is being censored.
I believe that the IPPC is doing quite a bit of censoring, cherrypicking, and selectively forgetting.
Mike Holmes wrote:Seeing conspiracies, vast or small, on either side is just politicizing a scientific question more than needs be.
I disagree. This is already political. We are about to spend a bundle on a political issue. Passively saying that the science will eventually work itself out ignors the fact that we are making HUGE decisions NOW on an issue that isn't even close to being settled except by the highly political IPPC.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Seed, what I'm saying is, talk to your congressman. He's the one you need to convince of the science. You might even get me to agree. But as soon as you say that there's been some sort of move in the scientific community, or even better, by the politicians, to squelch some study...

Which one was censored?

Cherrypicking? I could buy that more. But that seems to me to be politics as usual. Each side selects the studies that promote their side of the argument. If the liberal side is picking their favorite studies, you're telling me that the conservative side isn't doing the same? I swear I hear more rhetoric from the conservative side on the lack of consensus than I hear from the AGW side.

So I'm just wondering who is being censored, and how, precisely. When, again, I see study after study where I can't even figure out what side they might be biased towards. We only hear about the biased ones, because the politicians are trying to jockey one way or another.

Again, the assumption seems to then be, too, that if the liberal side is promoting it, they can only have bad motives in doing so. As if the conservative side has cornered the market on moral authority. Which is simply ridiculous political posturing. Both sides think that they're doing what's best, largely. One side is right, and the other wrong. Let's just worry about which, and not make it look like we're all being taken to the cleaners.

Mike

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Convince a Congress critter of science?

They don't care. This is a representative Republic. They want votes. Which ever way the electorate believes the Congress critters will follow. Especially if they can make a buck off it. Ethanol subsidies any one? Or political guys (who have ruined car companies with mandates) are smarter than the auto execs? It is possible. What are the odds?

The reason that the auto companies are not being forced into bankruptcy is union voters. It has nothing to do with restructuring the industry to match supply and demand.

i.e. your model of reality WRT politics is flawed.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

Getting back to the idea that we are being manipulated, I didn't used to believe in conspiracy theories before 911. That said, the current economic crisis I believe to be proof that bankers no longer know what's actually going on in their own industry. It's this way, according to a report I read 4 years ago, over half of all financial transactions take place through offshore banks. Since offshore banking relies on non-disclosure and little or no regulation or reporting, even offshore bank presidents can only guess what's happening throughout the industry. Nobody wants to even try to regulate it either, since probably everybody with the clout to organize international regulations has an offshore bank account to hide. All they can do is get the European taxpayer to throw 2 trillion at it, and the US taxpayer to throw another 2 trillion at it, and hope the problem goes away. They'll like this solution so much that 5 years from now they'll be asking for another multi-trillion dollar bail out, and why not, after all the taxpayer is an easy mark. A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon we're talking real money.
CHoff

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

> They don't care. This is a representative Republic. They want votes

FX [ nods sadly in agreement ]

I'm reminded briefly of a time when I was in college and everyone in our class came from a different country, our tutor was doing a bit about democracy and voting, and how much better our government was than all this dictatorships around the world. She then went around the room asking everyone their experiences of living in their own dictatorship run country and what was life like now they was in the West..

She wasn't too pleased as they all basically said how much better things was over there than over here!

Which also reminds me of a friend of mine who moved back to South Africa as there was less racism there than just a few miles away from me! (He was in a mixed race marriage.)

Perhaps what is needed is just a well educated dictatorship... ;-)

> pretty soon we're talking real money

Since when has money been real at all.. ;-)