Curious observation

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

pfrit

Curious observation

Post by pfrit »

Have you noticed that rnebel has vanished? He was posting many times a month for a year and has not posted since Oct 31. Has the good doctor changed accounts? Has he been told not to post here by the DOD? Has he been to busy to contribute? Has he just had nothing to say?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Navy had asked him to go silent if they had found that he was participating here.
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

I wouldn't be surprised if vague perceptions gave rise to conspiracy theory. Pretty much what always does.

Dr. Nebel has, in fact, made a few comments, mostly of the "it's being worked on it, be patient" sort. Now we can suppose that means something sinister. Or we can realize that the people doing the work are human, and that it may just take some time, and that, perhaps, we should trust Dr. Nebel, and just be patient.

He hasn't commented much, because the results of testing are under review, and to say anything at this point would be to threaten to become the next Ponds and Fleischman. I commend the good doctor for his measured responses. Further, if people were starting to try to provoke me into responding as some here are doing, I'd personally be less inclined to respond. Hopefully he's more patient than I am.

Mike

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

I was not trying to forment a new paranoid world model(though that can be alot of fun). I just routinely search for posts by rnebel on this site(to get info from the source) and that account simply hasn't posted since Oct 31. As I said, curious.

BTW, as far as paranoid conspiracy theories go, my favorite this year was the one about Obama being a secret muslim. Politics, religion, and race relations all wrapped up in one. Trifecta! I just wish it had also involved area 51 ...
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

seedload

Post by seedload »

pfrit wrote:BTW, as far as paranoid conspiracy theories go, my favorite this year was the one about Obama being a secret muslim. Politics, religion, and race relations all wrapped up in one. Trifecta! I just wish it had also involved area 51 ...
Well, considering that his father is muslim, his brother is muslim, he lived in a muslim country, he studied muslim religion in school, and he is very supportive of millitant muslim friends, I am surprised that you think this is even close to being an outlandish consiracy theory.

BTW, I don't think he is, but still, it isn't that outlandish compared to other far more outlandish theories.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Outlandish is, I guess, in the eye of the beholder. The "Obama is a Muslim" conspiracy theory is about as "outlandish" to me as the idea that John McCain was a plant by the communists in some sort of "Manchurian Candidate" style plot. Both contradicted by, well, problematic litte things called facts upon which anyone can check.

Just to mess with the heads of such conspiracy theorists, I like to point out how I would gladly vote for a Muslim for president. Just as I regularly vote for Christians, whose religion I don't want in charge of my government, either. Fear that, all you dumbasses who want to make an issue of people's religions.

Muslim != "Crazy Person who seeks to replace our government with Sharia Law"

Reminds me of the campaign to smear JFK as a "Papist." Sheesh.

Occam's Razor, people. Since when has outlandish theory become so popular? I think people must be bored.

Maybe Rick has taken a long overdue vacation to Hawaii. I think that getting away from the stress of rabid internet posters is probably an important part of a health regime, so that he can live to a ripe old age and benefit all mankind. Or we can push him into an infarction next week.

Which seems like a better idea?

Sorry for the histrionics. But it's getting to me a little. We aren't owed anything, by anyone. We'll know when we know.

Mike

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

Guys, I profusely apologize for commiting one of the cardinal usenet sins. I made a humorous observation without plastering it with smiley faces. I was miserably failing at making an amusing comment about our collective cultural fears. It in no way reflects any personal feelings towards Mr Obama that I may or may not have. Please firmly set FLAME = OFF.

Aero

Post by Aero »

If the WB-7 results are still being actively reviewed, then considering the size of review committees, this review must be costing as much as Polywell research has to date. No, the review is finished and the Navy has the results. They are out for more data under the "keep-alive" contracts.
Aero

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

seedload wrote:
pfrit wrote:BTW, as far as paranoid conspiracy theories go, my favorite this year was the one about Obama being a secret muslim. Politics, religion, and race relations all wrapped up in one. Trifecta! I just wish it had also involved area 51 ...
Well, considering that his father is muslim, his brother is muslim, he lived in a muslim country, he studied muslim religion in school, and he is very supportive of millitant muslim friends, I am surprised that you think this is even close to being an outlandish consiracy theory.

BTW, I don't think he is, but still, it isn't that outlandish compared to other far more outlandish theories.
How about whether he was born in hawaii or not ? Hawaii is apparently the only state which will allow births elsewhere to be registered as hawain births.

Whether he is or he isn't, I'm rather convinced that there is SOMETHING on that birth certificate that he doesn't want anyone to see.

David

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

There is, in fact, a potentially interesting case to be made with respect to his nationality and the whole "Natural Born Citizen" clause in the constitution. But that largely reflects the fact that we haven't had to deal with such a case making it to the Supreme Court to date (Mitt Romney's dad came close to causing it to have to be looked at). And, further, if Obama doesn't fit the criteria, then I think an ammendment might be in order to make things clearer and more reasonable.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if folks like the Governator were made eligible for the presidency. What, he can be governor of California, but not president? Like his policies or no, and horrific accent aside, Arnie is a true American.

Oh, wait... what if he's a Nazi in deep cover?

:-)

Mike

seedload

Post by seedload »

Mike Holmes wrote:Outlandish is, I guess, in the eye of the beholder. The "Obama is a Muslim" conspiracy theory is about as "outlandish" to me as the idea that John McCain was a plant by the communists in some sort of "Manchurian Candidate" style plot. Both contradicted by, well, problematic litte things called facts upon which anyone can check.

Just to mess with the heads of such conspiracy theorists, I like to point out how I would gladly vote for a Muslim for president. Just as I regularly vote for Christians, whose religion I don't want in charge of my government, either. Fear that, all you dumbasses who want to make an issue of people's religions.

Muslim != "Crazy Person who seeks to replace our government with Sharia Law"

Reminds me of the campaign to smear JFK as a "Papist." Sheesh.

Occam's Razor, people. Since when has outlandish theory become so popular? I think people must be bored.

Maybe Rick has taken a long overdue vacation to Hawaii. I think that getting away from the stress of rabid internet posters is probably an important part of a health regime, so that he can live to a ripe old age and benefit all mankind. Or we can push him into an infarction next week.

Which seems like a better idea?

Sorry for the histrionics. But it's getting to me a little. We aren't owed anything, by anyone. We'll know when we know.

Mike
Wow. Was there a post deleted that you were replying to or was that reply to me? I hope the former because if it was to me I don't get what the heck you are talking about. I can't figure out who the heck Rick is.

Oh, Rick Nebel. Now I get it. He left because of me you were saying.... ah.

So, not only am I a "dumbass" but I also seem to be a "rabid internet poster", I can't solve simple math problems involving Muslim inequalities, and I have never heard of certain basic rules of logic.

Did you even read my post? I will have to quote:

Seedload said:
I said that he wasn't a Muslim! I only commented that it wasn't that outlandish a conspiracy theory COMPARED TO OTHERS. I never commented that being a Muslim was bad. I never commented that he was a terrorist or a plant of any kind. I didn't come close to even saying anything remotely capable of drawing your acidic response.

We planted AIDs to kill the gays and/or blacks.
We attacked our own twin towers.
We didn't land on the moon.
We are covering up an alien crash landing.
JFK wasn't killed by Lee Harvey Oswald.
A guy with a Muslim father and an Athiest mother might be a Muslim.

My only point was that, given the partial list above, the last one is way down on the outlandish scale. Not nearly my personal favorite.

seedload

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

Really guys, the karmic load generated by these flames are assessed to me as the original author AND the person who made the first stupid comment. Please, I don't want to return as a brittle, humor-challenged dweeb in my next life. Heck, I didn't want to be one in this life...

seedload

Post by seedload »

pfrit wrote:Really guys, the karmic load generated by these flames are assessed to me as the original author AND the person who made the first stupid comment. Please, I don't want to return as a brittle, humor-challenged dweeb in my next life. Heck, I didn't want to be one in this life...
Nope, not you. This was carry over from another thread, I dare say. Otherwise, where the heck did all that "you owe us" stuff come from. It didn't even fit the context. I was so confused.

BTW, I see your point on the trifecta aspect of the Obama conspiracy theory. A nice capture of lots of histerias. I just think it lacked for inplausability aspect. But, now that I think about it more, maybe that was the beauty - its indefensibility. It really only takes one conspirator.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Seedload, did I mention your name? You're not one of the "dumbasses who want to make an issue out of religion"? Then I wasn't talking about you, was I? I'm saying the conspiracy theory is dumb, not you. I only disagree with you, if at all, with regards to the level to which it is "outlandish."

As for who I might be accusing of chasing Rick Nebel away, pfrit here is only one of several people who seem to be heading in the direction of conspiracy theory, or ranting that we're due some sort of update. I undersand the impatience - I too would like to hear something. But that's not the same as condoning haranguing the man.

In any case, I wasn't flaming, believe it or not. Lambasting, perhaps, but the notion, not the person saying it's not so outlandish. If I do start flaming (and that's highly unlikely, but not unknown), you'll know it. In any case, unlike some folks here who seem to blame others for not understanding their tone, I'll put it down to my own bad writing, and take the blame. Apollogies.

Absurd or no, what bugs me about the theory is that it's "religionist" if you will. As offensive to me as if he were supposedly white, and somebody was trying to condemn him based on the fact that they'd discovered that he has African blood. What they're really saying is that he's a Muslim, and therefore a terrorist plant. I mean if not, then why bother bringing it up at all? Why is it contentious? If not to prey on the anti-Islam sentiment in the US?

And to imply that a man who edited the Harvard Law Review is a terrorist in disguise is quite as outlandish as denying the moon landing.

So... go ahead, speculate that he has Muslim leanings; that's not a conspiracy theory at all, that means you think he has common sense. I, for one, hope that he does. At least insamuch as that he doesn't want to take revenge on the Muslim world for the acts of a small radical minority. You know, so he can act rationally and all.

Mike

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

My biggest issue with Barack Obama is not that he is or is not a muslim, not that he may or may not be a natural born citizen, not that he may or may not be a closet communist, but rather my observation that the NewYork\LA centered media people who speak with the megaphone of nearly total control of the public airwaves, gifted the man with perhaps a billion dollars worth of campaign funding in the form of carrying water and running interference using the pretext of providing news and entertainment.

Every lie about McCain\Palin was spread to the four corners of the earth, every ugly truth about Obama\Biden was pushed down the memory hole.

When 95% of everybody working in media is a liberal Democrat, your news becomes unavoidably biased.

David

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

MSimon, I authored this topic. Please kill it. Make it go away. Put it out of its misery. Send it to that happy place where hijacked threads go. I accept all responsibility for anything that happened here, just delete the whole thread. PLEASE, Please, please... <whimper>