NASA Awards Space Station Resupply Services Contracts

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Roger
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 am
Location: Metro NY

NASA Awards Space Station Resupply Services Contracts

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:02 am

CONTRACT RELEASE : C08-069


NASA Awards Space Station Commercial Resupply Services Contracts


WASHINGTON -- NASA has awarded two contracts -- one to Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., and one to Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, Calif. -- for commercial cargo resupply services to the International Space Station. At the time of award, NASA has ordered eight flights valued at about $1.9 billion from Orbital and 12 flights valued at about $1.6 billion from SpaceX.

These fixed-price indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contracts will begin Jan. 1, 2009, and are effective through Dec. 31, 2016. The contracts each call for the delivery of a minimum of 20 metric tons of upmass cargo to the space station. The contracts also call for delivery of non-standard services in support of the cargo resupply, including analysis and special tasks as the government determines are necessary.




http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008/de ... upply.html
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

djolds1
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:03 am

Re: NASA Awards Space Station Resupply Services Contracts

Postby djolds1 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Roger wrote:CONTRACT RELEASE : C08-069


NASA Awards Space Station Commercial Resupply Services Contracts


WASHINGTON -- NASA has awarded two contracts -- one to Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., and one to Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, Calif. -- for commercial cargo resupply services to the International Space Station. At the time of award, NASA has ordered eight flights valued at about $1.9 billion from Orbital and 12 flights valued at about $1.6 billion from SpaceX.

Innnnnnnnteresting. I wonder if SpaceX will send its manned Dragon capsule up somewhere in there?

Duane
Vae Victis

IntLibber
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Re: NASA Awards Space Station Resupply Services Contracts

Postby IntLibber » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 am

djolds1 wrote:
Roger wrote:CONTRACT RELEASE : C08-069


NASA Awards Space Station Commercial Resupply Services Contracts


WASHINGTON -- NASA has awarded two contracts -- one to Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., and one to Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, Calif. -- for commercial cargo resupply services to the International Space Station. At the time of award, NASA has ordered eight flights valued at about $1.9 billion from Orbital and 12 flights valued at about $1.6 billion from SpaceX.

Innnnnnnnteresting. I wonder if SpaceX will send its manned Dragon capsule up somewhere in there?

Duane


Actually, their proposal includes using their Dragonlab module as a sort of Progress class mixed carrier (pressurized and unpressurized cargo). Orbitals entry quoted all pressurized cargo (65% more than the Dragonlab carries), which is why they got more money despite having fewer launches. Pressurized cargo is worth more.

Roger
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 am
Location: Metro NY

More on Dragonlab

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 am

http://www.spacex.com/dragon.php

And they seem to be a go for the early 2009 launch

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

We're talking 4 man capsule plus cargo...... ! ! !
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

IntLibber
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Re: More on Dragonlab

Postby IntLibber » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 am

Roger wrote:http://www.spacex.com/dragon.php

And they seem to be a go for the early 2009 launch

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

We're talking 4 man capsule plus cargo...... ! ! !


They dont have their VAB built yet, its just a concrete pad at the Cape, and the erector tower is still in transit in pieces from CA. I expect a first launch attempt in Q1 with no payload. Hopefully they do not exhibit the flight success rate on Falcon 9 as they showed with Falcon 1 (25%).

They do state they will have the first test vehicle erected by Jan 1. Whether it will stay up or is just a stunt remains to be seen. They will need to build a VAB capable of handling clean cargos and such out of the weather before customers will trust them with payloads there.

Roger
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 am
Location: Metro NY

Re: More on Dragonlab

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:16 pm

IntLibber wrote: Hopefully they do not exhibit the flight success rate on Falcon 9 as they showed with Falcon 1 (25%).


Yes, best to Musk, & team. Really exciting stuff here... if Space x shows consistency in these next launches, they will be taking huge steps forward. That flight in Oct was stunning, 2 stage, 206 miles up at engine cutoff, 397 miles up on Orbit correction burn (IIRC).

Hubble is about 350 miles, ISS is about 220. So who knows where this could end up.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

derg
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby derg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:52 am

I was hoping Planetspace would get it (and still might? http://spaceports.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... award.html )

Why? because they're intent on building a spaceport in a place that could really use it:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 ... space.html

Roger
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 am
Location: Metro NY

Postby Roger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 am

Derg:
Planet Space is way behind.


IntLibber:
Orbital can do pressurized or non pressurized.
They have 6 launches scheduled for 2009. I would guess they will launch within 2 -3months.

http://www.spacex.com/launch_manifest.php
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

derg
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby derg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Roger wrote:Derg:
Planet Space is way behind.


They don't seem to think so:

Irene Klotz is reporting that NASA has suspended work on space station commercial cargo contracts awarded to SpaceX and Orbital Sciences Corporation after PlanetSpace filed a formal contract award protest with the General Accountability Office (GAO).


http://spaceports.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... cargo.html

IntLibber
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Postby IntLibber » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 am

derg wrote:
Roger wrote:Derg:
Planet Space is way behind.


They don't seem to think so:

Irene Klotz is reporting that NASA has suspended work on space station commercial cargo contracts awarded to SpaceX and Orbital Sciences Corporation after PlanetSpace filed a formal contract award protest with the General Accountability Office (GAO).


http://spaceports.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... cargo.html


Planetspace IS way behind. They are a paper company made as a consortium of the big names in OldSpace: Lockheed, Boeing, etc etc solely intended to game the CRS and COTS contract process. The protest is a delaying tactic to string out CRS because those major contractors are making their money on Orion. They are using congressional influence to manipulate the process.

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Postby MSimon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 am

IntLibber wrote:
derg wrote:
Roger wrote:Derg:
Planet Space is way behind.


They don't seem to think so:

Irene Klotz is reporting that NASA has suspended work on space station commercial cargo contracts awarded to SpaceX and Orbital Sciences Corporation after PlanetSpace filed a formal contract award protest with the General Accountability Office (GAO).


http://spaceports.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... cargo.html


Planetspace IS way behind. They are a paper company made as a consortium of the big names in OldSpace: Lockheed, Boeing, etc etc solely intended to game the CRS and COTS contract process. The protest is a delaying tactic to string out CRS because those major contractors are making their money on Orion. They are using congressional influence to manipulate the process.


Typical in the government contracting business I might add.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

derg
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby derg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks IntLibber and Msimon for the input.

Cape Breton remains a mighty fine spaceport.,


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests