Navy sees the WB8 as power supply for direct energy weapons

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ladajo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Last edited by ladajo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltgbrown
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ltgbrown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 pm

quote]And the scan rate for the E2 is?[/quote]

From wikipedia (just to make sure I don't say something I shouldn't),

"The APY-9 radar features an Active Electronically Scanned Array, which adds electronic scanning to the mechanical rotation of the radar in its radome." (APY-9 is the radar in the E-2D)

As I said, detection and TRACKING is not the problem.

I guess I should read your entire post first. Still, detection and tracking are not problems.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 pm

I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

zapkitty

Postby zapkitty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Given that the power to field megawatts in defensive beams is a given in these discussions then guest starring in the defense lineup will be ~10kW solid-state sighting beams from both air, sea and even ground resources.

The 100kW and larger mounts will have this capability built-in by just triggering only a portion of their laser chains and both ships and aircraft will be able to field such modest beams in independent mounts in quantity... in fact a variety of 10kW and under units were already roughed-in as part of various plans for the equipment of future aircraft and ships before the heavier beams were even queued up... and such a sighting beam is already integrated with the ABL.

Call it the LIDAR from hell... once a hostile is believed inbound the sighting beams will begin sweeping the suspect area and if even one 10kW beam sweeps across the volume of space occupied by a supersonic shipkiller and locks on then that should be that. The target could not escape the lock of even a 10kW beam and that's not even mentioning the heavies when they get a piece of the target.

An updated AEGIS-like system will then devote sufficient megawattage from the combined laser mounts in the area to kill the target quickly and move on. And again. And again. The Roman phalanx shredding regime extended to line-of-sight at the speed of light. This should take out swarm attacks as well and any targets suddenly lunging towards the fleet will simply be attended to first.

Can such a system be overloaded? Sure.
Any system can be overloaded.

But the availability of fusion power and the lasers to deliver that power plus a combat system geared to take advantage of that power means that an attack that would swamp a radar-Phalanx combo may be shredded before it's even within Phalanx range.

As for reptile brain antics... although the advent of fusion power should decrease the actual causes for war (as opposed to the oligarchs just manipulating their markets) it would not be wise to omit from consideration the changes in combat capability that will arise from that same paradigm shift.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Return to “Implications”