A grand discovery.

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

A grand discovery.

Post by Aero »

Sitting here in front of my computer, Googleing, I have just discovered 8.67E+10 barrels of crude oil. What’s more, this is oil that is or will already be at the refinery, so I don’t have to drill or pump or ship or transship it to anywhere, simply refine it and sell it. This oil is the seven percent of the feed stock to the refinery that is burned to heat the crude for the fractional distillation process. Proven world wide reserves are 1,237.876 billion barrels, so I simply heated the feed stock with a BFR and made a savings of 7%, or 86.7 billion barrels of oil.

To caveat, it is true that the 7% burned to drive the distillation process is extracted after refining, so it is not crude, rather it is asphalt and oil gas, so more accurately, I discovered 86.7 billion barrels of asphalt. But, using BFR heating energy I speculate that the asphalt could be economically cracked into something of high value, like heating oil, for example. So, I here by claim the patent rights to fractional distillation using BFRs to heat the crude oil feed stock. At $110 a barrel, I expect my discovery is worth nearly $10 Trillion.

So hurry up you guys who are setting the scope of the research and you guys who are controlling the purse strings, build me a commercial sized BFR. US refineries are burning up my discovery to the tune of $135 million per day. That's like burning up two brand new, $200 million BFRs every 3 days.

OK. So this is the implications forum. Well an implication is that the oil companies stand to save a LOT of money using the BFR energy source. They also will be presented with the fantastic opportunity to learn that crude oil is to valuable a resource to burn for heat, or as a motor fuel. Better to make plastics, solvents and chemical feed stocks with it. Given the proper processing, it can even be eaten as food, or so I've heard.
Aero

Roger

Post by Roger »

Nice point. Heavier crudes need to be run thru a catalytic cracker to break the long chain molecules, before refining. Which might mean you underestimated the savings....

No ?

Refineries around Texas get crude with .9% sulfur, API 30- 35, thats lighter than others around the country which get Sulfur at 2%, and API as low as 29.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Roger - They remove the sulfur from my asphalt before they burn it. Environmental issues you know. And whatever the exact savings will be by heating with a BFR instead of burning asphalt, it will be a huge number.
My post really drives to the point that value of the BFR is so great that we meer mortals cannot wrap our heads around the numbers. We keep saying, "But a bigger one will cost more." Bull!! - True, but Bull anyway in the scheme of things. The only justification for that statement is that you don't think the BFR will work. I look at your half billion dollars to build it, and my trillion dollars once you do, and I ask, "What are we waiting for?" We need power for oil refineries and ships, not just for televisions and vcrs.
Aero

Roger

Post by Roger »

Aero wrote: "What are we waiting for?" We need power for oil refineries and ships, not just for televisions and vcrs.
No doubt. Amen to that.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Aero wrote: I look at your half billion dollars to build it, and my trillion dollars once you do, and I ask, "What are we waiting for?"
Results! :)

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Roger wrote:
Aero wrote: "What are we waiting for?" We need power for oil refineries and ships, not just for televisions and vcrs.
No doubt. Amen to that.
Liquid fuels are useful to necessary for transport "off the grid."

Eventually the urban zones and major transport routes will be amenable to all electrics. The more remote areas, not so much.

Its also questionable whether all electrics will be useful for air transport. Might be able to use Bussards on the large An-124 scale monsters, but not the small and midrange size items. Beamed power is a possibility for all scales though...

Duane
Vae Victis

djolds1

Re: A grand discovery.

Post by djolds1 »

Aero wrote:This oil is the seven percent of the feed stock to the refinery that is burned to heat the crude for the fractional distillation process. Proven world wide reserves are 1,237.876 billion barrels, so I simply heated the feed stock with a BFR and made a savings of 7%, or 86.7 billion barrels of oil.
More effective and midrange-probable to use biotech organisms to convert it to petrol.
Aero wrote:I here by claim the patent rights to fractional distillation using BFRs to heat the crude oil feed stock. At $110 a barrel, I expect my discovery is worth nearly $10 Trillion.
Best to get that patent application to the USPTO before my identical application, which just hit the mails, arrives.

:twisted:

Duane
Vae Victis

Aero

Post by Aero »

I do not advocate a fossil fuel free society nor do I believe such is possible within the foreseeable future. But we shouldn't waste it and burning it in the refinery is waste, if we have BFRs available.
I do believe that personal transportation (cars) can become fossil fuel free in short order, again, if we have BFRs available.
Aero

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Aero wrote:I do not advocate a fossil fuel free society nor do I believe such is possible within the foreseeable future. But we shouldn't waste it and burning it in the refinery is waste, if we have BFRs available.
True. And "biofuel" is waaaaaaay over-hyped. But if we can massively cut the necessary levels of consumption, the zilch energy input requirements of the biotech routes (except for Sun Mk1) are most attractive.

That'll keep us going until we can get our hot little hands on the Titanian hydrocarbons and REALLY start to smog up the Earth's atmosphere! :lol:
Aero wrote:I do believe that personal transportation (cars) can become fossil fuel free in short order, again, if we have BFRs available.
All hybrid at least, which will really cut consumption. Switching to hybrid + flex fuel would be even better, which is Robert Zubrin's latest enthusiasm.

Duane
Vae Victis