The fix is in

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

The fix is in

Post by hanelyp »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-1 ... court.html
The gate has been forced open to one more of the lefties favorite forms of election fraud, voting by persons ineligible to vote or who don't really exist.

Welcome to the Zombie States of America.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

TDPerk

Re: The fix is in

Post by TDPerk »

For an alternate point of view.

"How does it work? The decision today uncorks state power. The Left wanted state power stripped and they lost.

First, Arizona can simply push the state forms in all state offices and online, and keep those federal forms in the back room gathering dust. When you submit a state form, you have to prove citizenship. Thanks to Justice Scalia, that option is perfectly acceptable. Loss for the Left. Victory for election integrity."

&

"The Left wanted the submission of a federal form to mean automatic no-questions-asked registration. This is a big loss for the Left because now states can put suspect forms in limbo while they run checks against non-citizen databases and jury-response forms. Another significant victory in today’s decision. The Left wanted to strip them of that double-checking power."

&

"But having been in the “preemption wars” for nearly a decade, I can assure you this case is a big win, even if it doesn’t appear so at first glance."

Of course that's true only in states and localities with a strong presence of the Right in the local apparatus, but that was always true. The left will always ignore laws they think are unjust for need to, where the right actually respects it--where they know what it is (lately some people on the right seem fairly ignorant of it, RE the NSA packet header copying, which can be done perfectly legally. The ones who would cut down all the laws to get at their devil are too much in power now.

Come 2014, fix that.

If there is a next election. Obama is personally and is permitting his executive branch to be enough of a scofflaw with respect to the constitution and it's subordinate laws, I dothink he would avoid the negative judgement of the public if he thought he could get away with it.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Ineligible voters getting to vote are a legitimate concern. Eligible voters not getting to vote because of hurdles in the registration/voting process are a legitimate concern, too.
Laws need to address both concerns and strike a balance where necessary.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

What is wrong with requiring that prospective voters show enough responsibility to register several months before the election? That way the election commission and parties can determine whether the person is actually a rightful voter.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

The fixes are out there right now used across the world. but we as american are told we do not want to adopt them because they are "too expensive" "discriminatory" or a host of other reasons. The truth be told there are 545 people on the hill that do not want it to happen because it may effect their funding base.
The technology is low tech that would be required to stop this this type of fraud. As we don't have to get them at the polls to make it stop but prosecute them later for their crime. But once again the politicos do not want it to happen .
All the equipment already exists at the polling station and all you would need is to add a 2 dollar bottle of staining ink. list all registered voter with a book and a place for the thumb print. ballots are separate and not identified in any way. the only thing that is tracked is who voted. not what they voted. The number of voters must match the number of ballots and the finger prints are looked at later to see if anyone came though multiple times. Fingerprints are routinely scanned and give a digital signature so they can be compared by the police to find criminals so why can not the voter committee do the same. this is how its done in most third world country and yet we can not come up with a version here? yep the people in charge of the politics want to make it an issue so it will not happen here. both sides are guilty.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

In Austria, you have to show a valid passport of personal ID at the voting booth in order to be allowed to vote. After all, we dont want someone to pretend to be somebody else and vote for them.
It is a very simple and effective system. I do not see how that would be discrimination.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Voters signing in at the polling place with a thumb print would be effective in preventing the same person from voting more than once, or catching them if they can remove the ink. Except it wouldn't work in precincts where vote by mail is used. Even if the mailed in ballot was accompanied by a card with a thumb print, a person normally has 2 thumbs, 8 other fingers, and toes if they carry it that far. Vote by mail appears to be loved by many of the same people overtly hostile to voter ID checks. In addition, a thumb print only prevents multiple votes, it doesn't validate that the individual was eligible to vote. But as far as it goes to prevent election fraud, I'd be happy to put my thumb print next to my signature on the voter registry.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

In Austria, you have to show a valid passport of personal ID at the voting booth in order to be allowed to vote. After all, we dont want someone to pretend to be somebody else and vote for them.
It is a very simple and effective system. I do not see how that would be discrimination.
It's not. Especially when you can get the ID for free. Problem is, one of the parties in the US is well known for aggressive voter fraud--and might not be able to win as many elections without it, and a wide variety of simple fixes would prevent that fraud, so they fall back on the discrimination charge to block them.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

hanelyp wrote:Voters signing in at the polling place with a thumb print would be effective in preventing the same person from voting more than once, or catching them if they can remove the ink. Except it wouldn't work in precincts where vote by mail is used. Even if the mailed in ballot was accompanied by a card with a thumb print, a person normally has 2 thumbs, 8 other fingers, and toes if they carry it that far. Vote by mail appears to be loved by many of the same people overtly hostile to voter ID checks. In addition, a thumb print only prevents multiple votes, it doesn't validate that the individual was eligible to vote. But as far as it goes to prevent election fraud, I'd be happy to put my thumb print next to my signature on the voter registry.
What you say is true but it would eliminate most of the problems. I do not feel any method that stops all fraud would be a factor that made a whole lot more prevention possible and allow some type of controls
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Voter fraud is hardly a one-party issue.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/ins ... ngrich-ca/

Voter ID is a sensible measure. But no state should have requirements beyond what is absolutely necessary to prove one's eligibility to obtain such ID. Similarly, everyone eligible should have a reasonable opportunity to cast their vote regardless of their work schedule, mobility limitations, etc.